Periko's Youth Hostel

Periko's Youth Hostel
Booking.com HostelBookers.com Tingo.com

More about San Carlos de Bariloche

BarilocheBariloche

Centro civico in traditional European styleCentro civico in traditional European style

La Bohemia RestaurantLa Bohemia Restaurant

One more pic from CampanarioOne more pic from Campanario

DIY fishing adventure

by cook99

Dear Community,
My wife and I will be in Puerto Montt, Chile on March 13,2006 and would like to take the bus across the mountain to Bariloche. I have tried several different websites to try and determine the bus schedule and cost and they have all been old sited and have been returned as undeliverable. If anyone could tell me the actual schedule and cost I would be greatly appreciative. My wife and I would also like to do some budget flyfishing. That means that we cannot afford a guide and would appreciate suggestions. We like to wade small to medium streams. We are both in our mid 50 and cannot handle the big water anymore. We usually fish with a 5 or 6 weight flyrod. Would this be big enough for the smaller streams. I would really appreciate the name and location of some small streams that do not require special access premission. We will rent a car in Bariloche and have about 5 days for the fishing and can go North or South according to your suggestions. We appreciate all of your help but first we have to get from Puerto Montt to Bariloch and then back to Puerto Montt. All suggestions appreciated. Thank You, Steve

RE: DIY fishing adventure

by onebadcat

As far as your bus I am sure there will be no problem making the connection when you arrive as there is a constant bus service into Bariloche from Chile. I have been drooling over rivers and lakes from Ushuaia to Bariloche and north for 3 months. I think your best bets in Argentina for fishing will be in the corridor from Esquel to Bariloche to Junin de los Andes. I realize this is a lot of territory but the fishing is fantastic all through this section of the country. I have seen some great fly fishing only water in Los Alerces Park on the Rio Rivadavia. Saw many trout on the surface and also some feeding in riffles. Keep in mind I only have seen waters on the bus lines and on beaten path. With your own vehicle you should be able to cover the waters I have been dreaming about. If you go to the fly shops in any town they will hook you up with info. In Esquel try UrFly? they gave me maps of the whole area with details on what fish were in which rivers, etc. Tons of small to medium rivers taht probably don´t require much wading? I also know the shops in Bariloche are very helpful once you get past the trying to sell you a trip thing. A licence for patagonia which will cover all the areas you will likely reach is 150 pesos for a week or 200 pesos for a year. Kind of spendy but then I guess it is cheap compared to what we charge in Alaska! Good luck. I am jealous as all I could afford here on the road was a cheap spinning rig and I have been absolutely jealous of all the fly guys here.

Take care

Scott

RE: DIY fishing adventure

by onebadcat

I forgot to mention we are headed back through Bariloche and then up through Junin de Los Andes and over to Chile again starting at the end of the week through to mid march. If I come up with more fishing info I will be sure to post.

Scott

Travel Tips for San Carlos de Bariloche

Leche de Glaciar / Glacier Milk

by elpariente

Leche glaciar .
Se llama al agua que surge de los glaciares y tiene color blanco debido a las partículas minerales suspendidas en el agua, provenientes de la abrasión del glaciar contra sus lechos rocosos y de las rocas entre sí, que por su microscópico tamaño no llegan a sedimentarse en el fondo.
Glacier Milk.
It is called the water that comes out from the glacier and has a white colour due to the mineral particles suspended in the water , coming from the glacier erosion against the rocky bed and and between the Rockies , that due to its microscopic size they do not sediment in the bottom

A very English saint

by TheWanderingCamel

We were intrigued by the dedication of the pretty little wooden church we stopped at as we travelled along the Circuito Chico. Built in 1940, Capilla San Eduardo, St Edward's Chapel, has as its patron the most English of saints, Edward the Confessor, King of England from 1042 until his death in 1066, once the patron saint of England and still the patron saint of the British Royal Family (an appropriate choice in more ways than one - he is also the patron saint of difficult marriages!!!).
Just why he was chosen for this little church in Patagonia was something we couldn't find out, but as the money to build the church was a gift perhaps the donor had a special feeling for this particular saint. With its distinctive wooden exterior and steeple, simple interior with some good stained glass and an interesting altarpiece portraying the life of the saint, and lovely location on a hillside overlooking the LLao Llao Peninsula with yet more stunning views from its terrace, it is a favourite stopping point along the Circuito Chico.

All Circuito Chico tours stop here or you can catch the Llao Llao bus from Bariloche.

BARILOCHE - GATEWAY TO THE PATAGONIA

by Frisbeeace

"Discover Patagonia"

Founded in 1902, San Carlos de Bariloche is located in the Province of Río Negro, northern Patagonia, 1,640 km from Buenos Aires City. At a height of 770 meters on the foot of the Andes Cordillera Bariloche is nestled within the Nahuel Huapi National Park, on the southern coast of the huge Nahuel Huapi Lake.

This beautiful and charming city is the main gateway to the the Patagonia and the starting point to discover the Seven Lakes District. As one of the top tourist destination in Argentina, Bariloche is a bustling town with 100,000 inhabitants and plenty of services that catter to the most demanding travellers. Bariloche is an all year long destination allowing the best fishing, skiing, climbing and trekking in the southern hemisphere. Some compare it to Switzerland which should be regarded as a compliment to the european country as this unpoluted region is still an uncrowded paradise for the outdoor fan.

The Cathedral Peak, 15 kms. From downtown, is the most important ski resort in Argentina and probably South America (check my “Ski in Argentina” travelogue).

For those looking to party, Bariloche has plenty of night life for all tastes. Most students in Argentina choose this city for their graduation trips.

Bariloche has a good assortment of luxury hotels, lodges and hostels for every traveller as well as lots of restaurants to taste the best typical foods like wild pig, deer, trout and patagonic lamb.

I will focus somehow on the skiing here, as this is the reason why I visit this city somehow frequently. Bariloche is also an interesting golfing destination as you will see.

Comments