House of Jasmines

Cordoba streetCordoba street

Marcelo ZambranoMarcelo Zambrano

The distance between Salta & BA

by micke79

Hola!If I would take the bus to Salta from Buenos Aires how many days would it take. What are the prices? Any links? Is it better to by flight ticket to save time? Best regards/Mikael

Re: The distance between Salta & BA

by cgf

by bus could be about 1 day... it's a long trip.
when I did it I did by plane, I got a good fare with Austral... anyway for as much as I could saved, one whole day each way would have cost a lot to me if I think to the whole days of holiday I had, I mean... 2 whole day doing nothing? How much could I have saved? I better stay home working or not? Beside.. going (for me) quite far, even I use to go to Buenos Aires more then once a year, two day only for transfer, PLUS OTHER TWO OF REST BECAUSE I EXAUSTED, it's not a good way of leaving... sure, if I had more time, no jobs... things would change..

Re: The distance between Salta & BA

by puppis

Mikael: the trip is about 20 hours. Cost runs between 200 to 230 argentine pesos, depending on how comfortable is the seat during the night.There are several good companies: Balut, La Veloz del Norte, Almirante Brown.
Try www.lan.com or www.aerolineas.com.ar to check the cost of an air ticket and compare with the bus ticket. I prefer to fly with Lan since Aerolineas Argentinas (or Austral, which are part of of the same company, fkn badly organized by Spanish merchants).

Of course, you will save time and body going by air.

Travel Tips for Salta

MAAM Museum

by barryg23

The Museo de Arqueologia de Alta Montana (or MAAM as everyone calls it) is a must-see museum in Salta. The big exhibit here is the display of a child's body from a sacred burial site found near the summit of Cerro Llullaillaco at approx 6700 metres altitude during a National Geographic excavation in 1999. Three bodies were recovered though only one was on display when we visited.

Child sacrifice was common among pre-Columbian civilisations, and this is just one of severel bodies which have been found at high altitude in the Andes. The body is very well preserved, and is a fascinating, though slightly unnerving, sight. Also on display are other objects recovered from the burial site, as well as a video showing the excavation team in action.

With an entry fee of 10 pesos per person MAAM is one of the most expensive museums in Argentina though there is free entry on weekdays between 9 and 10 am. However, this is also the time when school groups visit, judging by the huge number of kids there during our visit.

Comments