Calafate Parque Hotel

Gobernador Gregores St. and 7 de Diciembre St., El Calafate, Santa Cruz, Z9405ADA, Argentina
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 733% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about El Calafate

4 x 4 Travel4 x 4 Travel

typical street scene :)typical street scene :)

Dolphin sighting in Deseado riverDolphin sighting in Deseado river

Calafate syrup - delicious on icecreamCalafate syrup - delicious on icecream

Tours for Perito Moreno glacier

by marknlim

Hi

I just wanted to know if you can instantly book a trip to Perito Moreno upon arriving at El Calafate?
Or could you suggest a website that does the tour only? I went to this website that sells the tour but it also books you to a two bed hotel room ..thing is im traveling alone and will be likely staying at che lagarto hostels to be able to mingle with other solo travelers.

Thx

Mark

by ceciliachile

I went to Perito Moreno from Calafate in my last summer vacations , and for me the best way to go is renting a taxi (Argentinian call it "remis"), We paied like 70-80 dollars (we were 4 person for this money) for 8 hours, and talked with the taxi driver when i was there, on the street, I preferred it because the tours have a very strict timetable, do not stop the necessary time to visit places and is generally more expensive
I have a driver card (name company:Remis Puma), if you want I can get it and give you the number
Bye

by ceciliachile

Bye

by suziq999

I booked my tour through the hostel I stayed at (america del sur - fantastic!) but they also offer the tour separately. It included mini-trekking on the glacier, transport, it was fabulous!

by vtveen

There are several options to visit Perito Moreno, varying from a rental car till a regular bus service from/to El Calafate. Your hostel can also arrange a tour.
See for more info: http://members.virtualtourist.com/vt/tfr/1/711f0/4/206119/

happy travels
Jaap

by vtveen

Agree with America del Sur !!

by patagoniapaul

Hi Mark!

You do not need to book in advance. This is THE bussiness in El Calafate. Your hotel should be able to advise you.

by marknlim

Hi Everyone

Thx for all the feedback
I got some curve balls tho - - may not get my Argentina visa!
But i do have a Chile visa

So, is perito moreno glacier a purely argentinian affair?
If so, what are my glacier options for chile?

Thanks in advance for the tips

Mark

by vtveen

Perito Moreno is a purely Argentinian sight.

In Chile you could visit Torres del Paine NP. The Grey Glacier would be a possibility to see an impresiive glacier. Otherwise a boat trip from Puerto Natales to the Balmaceda and Serrano Glaciers.

See for more info-pictures:

happy travels
Jaap

Travel Tips for El Calafate

scotch on the rocks

by willy_wonka

now this was a surprise treat!

after hiking around the huge ice spires on perito moreno, we made our way down to a more flatter area, where the tour finishes up. as we walk down and turn a corner, in front of us we see a little table in the middle of the ice. as we get closer, we see there is an ice bucket, a pick, many glasses, and a bottle of scotch!

the tour ends here, with our guide chipping away a portion of ice. he distributes the flaky ice into the glasses, pours the scotch, and voila! scotch on the rocks! and we also get a mini bar of chocolate to go with it!

it was a fun way to end the mini-hike, and i guess provided a nice photo moment too! its not every day one is served "scotch on the rocks... on the rocks!" ;)

note - see second pic for miss wonky enjoying her scotch. it sure did warm the cockles of me frozen heart ;)

Throwing the garbage away with style

by andal13

Along the main street (Avenida Libertador) I found some of these strange artefacts, made of trunks, as you can see in the picture; I was wondering what was this, when I found out it was a trash can!

A lo largo de la calle principal (Avenida Libertador) encontré varios de estos artefactos extraños, hechos de troncos, como pueden ver en la foto; me estaba preguntando qué era eso, cuando me di cuenta que era un tarro de basura!

Gauchos de la Patagonia

by andal13

There are a lot of activities to do at El Calafate; there are so many options... I am not an expert rider... My largest experience comes from the carrousel horses... Despite this, I decided to make a 2 hours cavalcade aoround Redonda Bay, and it was a great experience!
There are different kinds of horseriding (two hours, six hours, five days...); it does not matter if you are not a good rider; the horses are tame, and a baqueano (guide) is always with you. The ride is really great: the landscape is amazing, you can hear the silence... You meet native birds, wild flowers, and the immensity of the Patagonian sky.

Hay un montón de actividades para hacer en El Calafate; hay tantas opciones... No soy una jinete experta... Mi mayor experiencia viene de los caballos de la calesita (tiovivo)... A pesar de esto, decidí hacer una cabalgata de dos horas alrededor de la Bahía Redonda, y fue una gran experiencia!
Hay diferentes tipos de cabalgatas (dos horas, seis horas, cinco días...); no importa si no son buenos jinetes; los caballos son mansos y siempre va un baqueano (guía). El paseo es realmente maravilloso: el paisaje es espectacular, se puede escuchar el silencio... Se encuentran aves autóctonas, flores silvestres, y la inmensidad del cielo de la Patagonia. Bring your wills; they give you the horse.

Traigan sus ganas; ellos ponen el caballo.

Always useful

by andal13

No matter which conveyance you choose, a map is always useful. The Patagonian steppe is immense, so distances are really long. You can get a local map at your hotel, or at any travel agency, or at tourist information office.

No importa qué medio de transporte elijan, un mapa es siempre útil. La estepa patagónica es inmensa, por lo que las distancias son realmente largas. Pueden obtener un mapa local en su hotel, cualquier agencia de viajes o en la oficina de información turística.

Calafate berries

by Maggies

El Calafate took its name after the calafate plant which is the bush with berries and grows here only.
This is calafate bush with Lago Argentino in the back. The legend says that if you eat the calafate berry you will return to Patagonia. Sure I tasted it.

Comments