Australis Kauyeken

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 24% less but rated 54% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Ushuaia

Leaving Ushuaia on board the PlanciusLeaving Ushuaia on board the Plancius

a globe for globetrotter?a globe for globetrotter?

Provincial Legislature of Tierra del FuegoProvincial Legislature of Tierra del Fuego

Cascada de la Macarena / Macarena WaterfallsCascada de la Macarena / Macarena Waterfalls

Hotels / Guesthouses in December 2010

by eswepe

We will be in Ushuaia this December (December 30 to be exact) and have been trying to book one night's hotel stay for three. I have have had no luck - either I'm told the hotel is booked or I get no response (I've tried both online booking and emailing the hotel/guesthouse directly). We don't want to pay an arm and a leg if we don't have to, so I haven't got all the way up to the most expensive places, so that's probably my next option. Am I going about this the wrong way? I know we're going during the high season, but it's still 8 months off (I started looking for rooms over a month ago). I just can't believe everything is really all booked up. Anyone have any leads?

Re: Hotels / Guesthouses in December 2010

by globetrott

a booking of just 1 single night at this very date does not really make sense for any hotel, and the 3bedded room might be the next problem.
did you try venere.com or booking.com ?

Re: Hotels / Guesthouses in December 2010

by sdcatraveler

Perhaps you can try a youth hostel? I vacationed in December a few years ago in Argentina (in El Calafate, but not Ushuaia)mainly using hostels and I did not need to reserve ahead of time. We booked as we went along using Hostelling International and expedia.com. Also note that if you try to book via Lan.com you may be able to get a hotel with the flight. Perhaps you can try a local travel agent? Best of luck.

Travel Tips for Ushuaia

First Day Tip: What to do

by cadiana88

On your first day in Ushuaia, visit the two main museums in the city, "Museo del Presidio" (Jail's Museum) and "Museo del Fin del Mundo" (End of world Museum). If you can visit only one, choose the first.

It's very important to do it, because you'll understand everything you'll see and visit during the following days of your visit.

Yerba Matte cups

by faeriegal

This is an addition to another travelers posting on the local customs in Ushuaia section. If you want to buy one of the Yerba Matte cups and metal straw like utinsel called a "bombilla" go to the supermarket in town called La Anonima which is located on the other end of town on San Martin. The ones in the tourist area of San Martin are twice as expensive. I bought a simple wooden one for $7 pesos and the Bombilla for $10 pesos. It might not say "Ushuaia" on it, but you can always take a marker and write it yourself. While you're there, you can also choose from a large assortment of Yerba Matte. Buy the "Suave" kind. There are also all sorts of other items, plus a large selection of wines at local prices.

Ski in Cerro Castor ( Ushuaia )

by luzmaria

In Ushuaia, after its fourth winter season the newest ski resort in Argentina, only 26 km from Ushuaia, surrounded by the Andes and the sea, Cerro Castor is the most beautiful place to ski. Thanx to the weather, here s the longest ski season in Southamerica with temps of between 5 and -5 C

The ranch at the end of the world

by luzmaria

Estancia Harberton

Located in the extreme South of Argentina, just above the Beagle Channel, on the smooth slopes of the fields, the Harberton ranch was built in 1886 by the first non aboriginal settler of Tierra del Fuego.

If you like nature, at this place you can see more than 500 varieties of birds, other animals (including penguins) and flowers... In the nearby mountains theres a very dense vegetation, with a great variety of fern and "fueguinas" orchid by the trees.

There are historical pictures and theres a very peaceful place to have some tea with cake.

its a nice option to spend the afternoon...

You must see the lamb

by littlesam1 about Moustacchio

I probably should have included a second picture on the previous tip, but I wanted to make sure no one misses the picture of the food. So I included a second picture here. I had to try the lamb that I saw in the window. The waiter cut off a huge portion of lamb and put it on a large pot like oven that was brought to my table. The lamb continued cooking at my table as I ate my meal. It was the best meal I had in Ushuaia. And this is saying a lot, as I did not get any bad meals anywhere.

Comments