San Marino Royal Hotel

More about Sucre

Covento de San Felipe NeriCovento de San Felipe Neri

Santa Monica's ChurchSanta Monica's Church

Esplanade at RecoletaEsplanade at Recoleta

view down the streetsview down the streets

How long from Sucre to Potosi, then how long to Uyuni?

by StephanB

I'm getting used to this after some time in Colombia and Ecuador, but every person I ask in Bolivia about the time it takes to traverse these destinations in a bus gives me a different answer. I have had a travel agent tell me 30 minutes in a bus from Sucre to Potosi, and also have had my hotel tell me 3-4 hours in a bus. I'm getting the same answers about Potosi to Uyuni. Usually I ask about 5 people and average out the replies, but this is all over the place.
Also, I think I may be able to do the Uyuni trip with my wife and daughter if we limit it to a 2 day tour. Will I still get a good taste of the region with only 2 days (1 day in, 1 day out)? Are there hostals that might have a separate room and possibly some sort of heating device?

by tbon

3 to 4 hours from sucre to potosi and about 7 from potosi to Uyuni. All depends upon weather. Uyuni takes longer to do it right. This is Bolivia man. I wouldn't count on any timetable working. Could take you whole day to get from Sucre to Potosi if bus breaks down.

by metteks

I agree on 6-8 hours from Potosi to Uyuni.

From Sucre to Potosi you can make it faster by taking a taxi. There are shared taxies parked outside the busterminal, but if you are 3 people, you can just take a taxi for yourself. it is of course a little more expensive, but a lot of people use this option.

by AlbuqRay

I agree with Metteks about the shared taxi between Sucre and Potosi. It will be will be ~2 hours and 30 Bs per person. The bus from Uyuni to Potosi takes ~6 hours and is 25 Bs per person. See http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/5fca8/886/9/ for transportation details about each trip. You cannot do the southern Uyuni trip in 2 days; however, you can do the northern Salar de Uyuni and Mount Thunupa (see http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/5fca8/178d5b/ for details).

by brochitas

Sucre-Potosí:
Train: monday, wednesday and friday: 8:00 - 14:00. BS 25. This train is called "bus carril". I suposse it is a little train.

by brochitas

by StephanB

We paid 80 bolivianos for a private taxi to Potosi. If your sharing, that's not bad at all. It took 2 and a half hours in a fast taxi.

by AlbuqRay

Ah, I'll have to remember that the uphill direction takes a little longer.

by StephanB

That's exactly what it was. Heading back to Sucre was right around 2 hours. If you could imagine one of those 30 year old buses heading up those mountains, tack on another hour.

Travel Tips for Sucre

Vendiendo hojas de Coca/Selling Coca leaves

by elpariente

En el mercado deTarabuco se venden las hojas de coca , que las consumen constantemente , las mastican y hacen una bola que se les nota porque sobresale en su mejilla
Dicen que es lo mejor para el mal de altura , pero la verdad es que a mi no me hizo mucho efecto
In the Taramuco market they sell the coca leaves , that they consume constantly , they chew them and make a ball that you may see because protrude in their mouth
They say that is the best for the high disease , but really it was not very efficient for me

Dinosaur tracks

by darthmilmo

The Dinosaur tracks are located at the Fomesca Cement Plant outside of town. Unfortunately, the sight was closed for the day of my visit due to an unexpected landslide. I did get to see the tracks from afar though. According to something I read locally, this are the longest dinosaur tracks on Earth conserved and exposed today.

Museo Textil Ethnografico

by darthmilmo

I visited the Museo Textil Ethnografico, which contains a fine collection of textiles of the region. They have several pieces for sale in their expensive store. I would suggest you make your purchases elsewhere.

Sucre - My City

by dinalt

"Living in Sucre"

Sucre is a relaxed town, very nice to hangout for a long time.
Sucre's night live is developing into something worth hanging around for, if you consider the new places like Locot's Cafe aventura: in the short time they're open they've managed to set a new standard: good food (Mexican, Bolivian, etc) and plenty life music and parties (Salsa night is a big hit).
There's also a lot to do around Sucre. the area around Sucre is really nice and allows for some good adventure: paragliding, hiking, horse riding and mountainbiking.

Comments