Aranjuez Hotel

Presidential PalacePresidential Palace

Killi KilliKilli Killi

LandscapeLandscape

An old Dodge busAn old Dodge bus

One day tour from La Paz of Lake Titicaca and environs- operators?

Hi there,

I have a limited time in La Paz and want to make the most of it. My first day there I will use to explore the city, markets, sights and the next day, would like to do a day trip to Lake Titicaca and some islands, then back to LP and fly out the next day. I have done some research in this forum and inquired with Zig Zag who appears to have a good option for a day but quote $150 for me (by myself or $100 per person) since the trip is private tour only. Does anyone else know of a good operator that also does a day trip from La Paz and back to the Titicaca region? (and that is more economic?) Thanks!

by AlbuqRay

Kindra, since you have researched this forum, you already know that I had good experiences with Zig-Zag. I am curious; was the $150 for a day trip or did it include a night in Copacabana or on Isla del Sol?

by Kindra

The $150 is just for the day, departing from and returning to La Paz (since I fly out of LP the following morning) and includes transportation to Lake Titicaca, transport on the lake and visiting the Island of the Sun.

by AlbuqRay

Although that is a nice trip and I know that Zig-Zag does a good job, I must say that $150 for a day trip seems high to me also. Times must have changed. Zig-Zag was one of the more reasonably priced tour operators when I used them. I wonder what fuel prices are like in Bolivia now. The only other operator that I have used was Fremen Tours. They were excellent also but more expensive than Zig-Zag. It might be worth comparing them again though. It's too bad that you do not have more time. Spending one night each in Copacabana and on Isla del Sol to be able to see and do everything in that area is really special, especially if you could be there during one of the festivals.

by Kindra

Unfortunately I am on a really tight time schedule and I guess as a result I may have to pay for it. I have inquired with Freman tours and its $230 to do the same trip with them for the day.

by AlbuqRay

Kindra, it seems that all the prices have gone up. Since you have the time constraints, maybe a private tour is the best option. That way you have the flexibility to change your itinerary en route. Should you decide to take public transportation, please realize that it often does not run as scheduled.

by tarket

hey u look in hurry lol
contact Tobolivia its forgien agency they will help you , but you need tell them how many days u wanna stay there,,,, and they will tell u what u can see as well their prices are so so cheap

Travel Tips for La Paz

getting the perfect haircut

by richiecdisc

The best thing about La Paz is the vast array of markets ranging from produce to cooked foods to witchcraft items. My favorite place to grab a place to eat was at the far end of Plaza San Francisco. It was so full of energy and the women running them were so aggresive to get you into their respective places. Normally, this bothers me but for some reason, they seemed good natured about it and it was so inexpensive it was worth trying a couple, even in one day! Long trips have disadvantages; these can be as mundane as needing a haircut. I've had some funny experiences with this grooming concern from Brussels to Katmandu, and my recent trip to South America was no exception. I found myself in La Paz five weeks into my trip looking a little ragged. I noticed about 20 barbershops near the hostel I was staying at. They were smallish affairs, some with as little as one chair. I inquired in one for a price and though I was expecting it to be inexpensive, I was shocked to hear five bolivianos (eighty cents) come from the proprietor's mouth. Everyone leaving the place had nicely kept hair so I ventured in and waited my turn. There were two chairs full and two other men before me. I figured I'd be out in a half-hour or so but soon realized just why everyone in La Paz seemed to have such nice hair. They are fastidious about it! The barbers were perfectionists and even with their attention to detail, the customers never seemed satisfied. One even came back after being out of the shop! Finally after an hour, it was my turn. I jumped into the chair after showing the barber a photo I noticed on the wall with an approximation of the style I wanted. With my limited Spanish, I wanted to have all the help I could get. He had me looking great in no time but kept clipping little bits off here and there. He must have worked on it for a 50 minutes before asking if it was okay. He showed me if from the back and sides with a mirror. It was by far one of the best haircuts I had got in my life. I felt embarrassed to pay him so little so rounded it up to a dollar and he seemed ecstatic, thanking me enthusiastically. I walked out of the shop and onto the La Paz streets, knowing that if I lived there, I would be just like the locals. I would have freshly cut hair every week or so even if it took hours. I just hope I wouldn't become so picky about it.

pay better attention to the...

by pjallittle

pay better attention to the way VT is set up so's not to find yourself on the horns of a dilemma like this again. Just when you think you're beginning to understand how this all works, the inevitable reminder, that rude awakening.

Just kidding, this presents an opportunity to expand upon a country which is made up of many parts and a little repetition won't detract from one to the next. Coming into La Paz gives you that first taste of the Andean mountain range. We always associate the Andes with Peru or Chile but here is where they begin in the Northern part of the South American Continent.

Then question is, do they begin here or end here?

Where Incas were born

by andal13

Sun Island at Titicaca Lake is the place where Manco Capac and Mama Ocllo appeared; they were Inti's children (Inti is the Sun). Manco Capac and Mama Ocllo found the Incan Empire.
If you want more information about this place, you can visit my Titicaca Lake travel page.

La Isla del Sol en el Lago Titicaca es el lugar en donde Manco Capac y Mama Ocllo surgieron; ellos eran los hijos de Inti, el sol. Manco Capac y Mama Ocllo son los fundadores del Imperio Incaico.
Si quieres más información sobre este lugar, puedes visitar mi página sobre el Lago Titicaca.

"old" and "new"

by chancay

colonial buildings next to modern "skyscrapers"....there are some higher buildings in La Paz, nothing to compare with real sky scrapers in big us cities for example....although, there are few buildings nearer to the sky than here in La Paz, at already 3600m altitude :-) modernity and colonial style next to each other. this was a amazing experience here, not only the buildings have shown what happens in every corner of La Paz....you meet poorest indigene people next to modern clothed bankers in the streets..

the witches market

by richiecdisc

This interesting market features various objects of worship or having mystical powers. The most interesting was the llama foetus. These grotesque figures are sold to people wanting to "insure" that their newly built homes will have good luck. They bury them in the foundation and imagine them to be pricey for locals.

Comments