C.Hoyos 8 Potosi Bolivia South America, Potosi,

More about Potosí

Hotel PatioHotel Patio

Hotel FrontHotel Front

Going downGoing down

Tito guards the mineTito guards the mine

Potosi?

by mschwar

What kinds of things are there to do in Potosi? I was planning on stopping here on the way to La Paz from Uyuni but I don't know much about it other than it was once a silver capital of the world. Is it worth stopping at if I'm short on time, or should I go straight to La Paz? Thank you so much for any help

RE: Potosi?

by AlbuqRay

Matt, Potosi is definitely worth seeing. I wish I had had more time there. I have information on Potosi under Bolivia but I have separate travel pages on Potosi too. I also recommend reading Richiecdisc's and Marcelo15's tips. If you want a great guide there, use Roberto Mendez (see my general tips under Bolivia or Potosi).

RE: Potosi?

by marcelo15

yeah, potosi is really worth visiting. i had the great change to visit ther last year and i fell in love with potosi. you know that i`m bolivian. don`t u?
je,je...well, i highly recommend to do the tour of the mines. is really worth and the same time sad. also, visit the money house. there are plenty of great things to see. if you have time you can get to laguna tarapaya (hot springs). the cemetery, where you can eat a deliciuos soup (caraporko)... well, i really wish you a great time there...
chau

Re: Potosi?

by boltonian

Look at my page to see about the mine tour.

Worth a visit without a doubt

Travel Tips for Potosí

Dress right

by Pete.Gibson

Going down the mines isn't to be taken lightly, it is dangerous, hot and dusty, Every silver Peso coin minted in Potosi has cost the lives of 10 Indians who have died in the depths of these mines...

Excellent Guide in Potosi

by AlbuqRay

Roberto Mendez was my guide in Potosi. He is a former miner and really knows his way around. Twenty-five years ago, he pioneered the tours that go into the Cerro Rico mines. I met him through Fremen Tours but he also has his own company. He is a character and fun to be with. He also sings at the Belen Theater on Plaza 6 de Agosto some evenings. That is also where you can find him to arrange a tour. You may email him at roberto_pioneer@hotmail.com. Don't forget to notice the El Tio ring he wears. Be forewarned, you need to be in reasonable shape to keep up with him on the walking part of the tour. Potosi is built on the side of a mountain at 4100 m. and has steep streets. Having kala phurka with Roberto at the Dona Eugenia restaurant in Potosi (see my restaurant tips and Richiecdisc's General Tips).

The silver mines

by chancay

In the 16th century Potosi was one of the biggest and richest cities in the world!
The kingdom of Spain had won a big part of it´s richness from the silver from Potosi (next to all the gold they got from the Incas).
Bolivian authors say, they would have been able to build a bridge from southamerica to europe with all the silver they found and took away.
Millions (!) of indigenous, later as well sklaves from africa died in the mines of Potosi working for the spanish colonists.
Nowadays there are still miners working in the "rich mountain" (cerro rico), searching for silver (it´s more a dream) and for other metals, especially zinc.
The work in the mines is still very dangerous, there´s no security control by the government. The miners are part of the poorest habitants of Bolivia. They work until 24 hours a day in the mines, only chewing coca leafs, maybe smoking when they got some cigarettes and eating one spicy soup the day. Most of them die before being 45 years old.
The miners have got their human puppies inside the mines where they pray and ask for luck. They give coca leafs and cigarettes to the "tio" (uncle) as gifts.
It´s all very impressing!

LA CASA DE LA MONEDA

by marcelo15

Here you are be able to see one of the most important, and complete museums in Bolivia.
This mouseum offers plenty of pictures, how the spanish built the coins, that were used in the colonial period.
Also my guide has explained me that this was used as a jail during the CHACO WAR. (1932-1935), agains Paraguay.
Aca podràn ver uno de los museos mas importantes y completos de Bolivia.
Este museo ofrece muchas pinturas, tambien como los españoles acuñaban las monedas, que eran usadas en la epoca colonial en Bolivia y en España.
Tambien mi guia me explicò que fue utilizada como carcel para los prisioneros de guerra Paraguayos. Indeed, the mines tour come first but the Money House is also a great place to visit. you can miss it!!!

molten lava or bubbling soup?

by richiecdisc

The large bowl arrived and much to our surprise, it was bubbling like molten lava. There was a wooden spoon and off to the side some steamed corn concoction and some hot sauce. We spooned a little of each into the hot soup and carefully spooned some out to try, blowing on it profusely as to not burn our mouths. It was a marvelously thick spicy soup with bits of what tasted like bacon bits. We later saw some locals eating chicarones, deep fried pork intestines, and they looked so crispy I would have gladly tried them if I was still hungry. We surmised that the bacon bits must have been in fact, bits of the chicarones. It was a surprisingly filling meal washed down with the local brew, Potosina. We paid up and the owner said again that the next day, they would have the fricassee so stop back, giving us a handful of business cards to hand out to our gringo friends. On the card, I noticed the hours. It was open from 9:00 in the morning till 3:00 in the afternoon. That was just about when we had arrived, which explained why there was no more of their namesake delicacy. We met up with some friends later and told them what a great place we had found and all made a plan to go there for lunch the next day.
I had my own plan of course. I got up early the next morning and went over for breakfast by myself. I got there a bit before 9:00 and eagerly waited for the place to open. I was a bit dismayed when the doors had not budged by 9:15 but there was someone readying the place inside and it was Sunday morning so I remained waiting. Finally, a woman appeared and told me to come in, which I gladly did. A waiter asked me what I wanted and I hastily decided on the one thing on the menu of which I had no idea what it was. I figured I could get the fricassee with the group later and I had had the soup the day before so why not try something new. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

Comments