Esplanada Brasilia Hotel

Esplanada Brasilia Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Brasília

Lucio Costa's projectLucio Costa's project

SQS 415 (415 Sul) - some have even more plants!SQS 415 (415 Sul) - some have even more plants!

Metropolitan Cathedral of Our LadyMetropolitan Cathedral of Our Lady

The National Congress , Praça dos Tres PoderesThe National Congress , Praça dos Tres Poderes

Electricity transformer availability

by scottNYC

Hi,

I am going to be moving to Brasilia with my wife and son from NYC. My wife is being transfered with her job.

I am a filmmaker and photographer and I have lights that are 110/120 volts and not 220V. We also have some other small home appliances that are also 110/120 volts and not 220 volts.

In America, I can buy transformers which will convert 220v to 110/120v. These are not the travel converters, but larger units which are meant for appliances and can be used for my film lights as well

My question is does anyone know if these types of electric transformers are available in Brazil? Here is a link to show you an example.

Also, I would also like to communicate with anyone who is interested in a photographer or Cinematographer in the Brasilia region. I am interested in portrait, Nature/Environmental, and dramatic work.

I will be studying Portuguese for the first 6 months or so in Brasilia until I can become more fluent.

I am also interested in teaching English to earn some money as well.

Thanks,
Scott

RE: RE: Electricity transformer availability

by scottNYC

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I am 99.9% sure theat Brasilia is 220V. I know that Sao Paulo and Rio are 127V respectively. I have researched this with friends who have lived in Brasilia as well as on the web.

I am just looking to cover myself.

Scott

RE: RE: Electricity transformer availability

by LIC2F

Hi!

Yes, Brasília is definitely 220W! I just came back from NYC and had the same problem, lots of appliances that were 110. I acctually decided not to use transformers because some of them would have to be huge (and it is really not worth it if you wanna use a toaster!). I got an eletricist to convert part of my electrical system (mostly in the kitchen)from 220 to 110. It is perfectly safe and simple to do. Good Luck! Careerwise, have you tried to contact anyone at UnB (University of Brasília?), I heard that they have one of the best schools of filmmaking in the country. Also there is a french bistro called Daniel Briand (on 104 Norte, I guess), his wife (I can't recall her name) is a photographer and professor at UnB, maybe you should go there on a sunday morning to have brunch and try to talk to her. She's really nice! Anyway, Good Luck again!

Travel Tips for Brasília

Feira do Guará

by hugolorenzetti

This marketplace in nearby satellite city of Guará may be a very interesting place for those who like markets with local produce. Of course, it is not a tourist attraction nor has it the infrastructure for that purpose, and people who cannot hold their gringo attitude should avoid this, much more because of the disturbance they will cause than because they are going to be robbed, killed, abducted or anything like that.

The market is a big group of stalls under a roof that is open from Thursdays to Sundays. Most stalls sell inexpensive clothing items (not good quality, though, ate least not always), but there are also many selling spices, items produced in the Northeast, like rapadura (non-refined sugar loaves, eaten as desserts or added to coffee), bottled butter, cajuina (beverage made of cashew, the fruit which the cashew nut is attached to) and, of course, cachaça. There are also food stalls with tipical food from the Northeast, the North and the Centre-West, which are cheap and very good.

Best days to visit are Thursdays and Fridays because you can get there by underground (Estação Feira) and there won't be this awful quantity of people that visit the Feira at weekends.

Foreign Ministry

by NedHopkins

The beautiful gardens of the Ministério das Relações Exteriores were designed by Brazil's foremost landscape artist, Burle Marx (who worked on the grounds of most of the main buildings).

The sculpted -- or chiseled -- effect of the building's columns is not evident in this photograph.

Officially the Palácio dos Arcos, the building is better known as the Palácio do Itamaraty.

Brasilia

by raquelsathler

"Brasilia the capital"

Brasilia was constructed between 1956 and 1960, during the government of President Juscelino Kubitschek. It was inaugurated, as Brasil's new capital, on April 21, 1960. Its master plan ("Plano Piloto") was conceived by Lucio Costa, and its major buildings were designed by Oscar Niemeyer.
Planned for only 500,000 inhabitants, Brasilia has seen its population grow much more than expected. Several satellite towns have been created over the years to house the extra inhabitants. Brasilia's total population (including the satellite cities) is now over 2,000,000 inhabitants

Capital of Brazil, home of candangos

by pothalion

Candangos are the native people. They are nice and friendly.

I've been there just once, for an afternoon. I had this interview with the Agriculture Ministry staff, to discuss bamboo stuff. Me, Celina and kind Dr. Tarciso Filgueiras (one of the top bamboo taxonomists in Brazil!).

So, after the interview, we had half an hour to walk around the Esplanade of the Highplan (bad, bad translation :=) ).

Congress, Presidential house, Ministrys, etc... It's all there, concentrated and easily maneuvered by the politicians.

You know, a lot of people think that Brasília was built in nowhere from nothing to move the political decisions away from the concious masses of urban Rio, former capital. I can agree.

Damn with this, today Brasília is what it is. And it is beautifull, despite all its contrasts.

Comments