Iberostar Praia do Forte
Booking.com Hotels.com Iberostar.com

More about Iberostar Bahia Praia do Forte

Fantastic hotel

by blitzkid81 about Iberostar Bahia

This hotel is the best I've ever stayed at. Superb food, drink and activities. Spacious air con rooms with mini bar and tv. All the rooms had pool and sea viewagreat way to wake up! Premium and local drinks were on offer 3 restaurants plus buffet restaurant which is excellent too. The location is superb set at the back of a protected coastline and turtle beach Pool is huge with a swim up bar. Ice cream bar is a great soother after a hot day.

Fantastic hotel

by blitzkid81 about Iberostar Bahia

This hotel is the best I've ever stayed at .All inclusive. Superb food, drink and activities. Spacious spotless air con rooms with mini bar and tv. All the rooms had pool and sea viewagreat way to wake up! Premium and local drinks were on offer 3 restaurants plus buffet restaurant which is excellent too. The location is superb set at the back of a protected coastline and turtle beach Pool is huge with a swim up bar. Ice cream bar is a great soother after a hot day.

FANTASTIC

by TripAdvisor Member 1missie68

We stayed here from 2nd to 16th June 2006. (Review done a little late!) The drive from the airport was unfortunately in the dark most of the way and on reaching the hotel it was dark so we did not get the benefit of seeing how fantastic the hotel looked. However, once inside it was everything we expected and more. We had no complaints whatsoever about the staff, service, food, pool area, rooms. First Choice rep, George, was great. Only had a couple of minore problems which needed sorthing - first was a drunk in our room in middle of a rainy afternoon. He had not broken in and the security of the rooms was not breached - he had wandered in when workmen were fixing a wardrobe door, and just passed out on the bed. Hotel management dealt with this and we were moved to another room at the other side of the hotel. On arrival in new room there were flowers on dressing table and in bathroom, champagne and fruit arrived shortly after with two complimentary t shirts. They more than compensated us for what had happened, every time Manager saw us, she greeted us and asked if we were ok. Very nice to know that they would go out of their way for you. Other problem which George sorted for us was the loss of our tickets for return flight home - we discovered this on bus on way to airport. All sorted out and got home without a problem!! (Did not really want to come home - this is the first time I have said this about a holiday - so it must have been good). Excellent hotel for kids - plenty to keep them busy and lots of staff to help. All round an excellent holiday. Just mentioning trips - we only went on a couple - the one where you go on a bit of a jungle walk, visit a local school and have a boat ride - boat broke down at end of river and we had to leave boat at mangroves and walk through a bit of jungle (bit here v. bad) and be collected by the jeeps. This was an unplanned bit of the trip and should not have happened! They are trying hard with the trips, but seem to need a little more organisation - I'm sure this will come with time. Didn't try Rio trip as we had kids 6 and 9 and had heard stories of people having bags, cameras etc., snatched and with kids didn't want to risk this. Spoke to others who went and thoroughly enjoyed it, although price fluctuates for this trip. Would definitely go back to this hotel and would also try another Iberostar Hotel. Our next trip is being planned to the new Bahia Principe in Cayo Levantado in Dominican Republic - new hotel being built at moment - I would not find this a problem as the Iberostar Bahia was still under construction in parts, but this did not affect the quality of our stay.

Excursion's

by TripAdvisor Member DONNYDAVE

Just returned from our first trip to to Brazil and I can't recommend this country highly enough, great people,very friendly.
The hotel Iberostar Bahia is absolutely FANTASTIC and the staff can't do enough for you, very attentive to your needs.
The selection of food at the main restaurant "MEU REI" is brilliant. There are three speciality restaurant's to try. The Brazillian steak house(COQUEIRO)is a must to try. Totally different,they bring all the cooked meats, fruit and cheese's to your table and slice the food off giant skewers straight on to your plate(wear loose clothing you feel very full afterwards).The mediterranean restaurant "Mare Nostrum"was a bit of a disappointment,but if you want mediterranean food go to the Med. We didn't try the Japanese restaurant "Sakura"(we don't like Japanese food) but looking through the window it looked good fun,the chef cooks everything in front of you.
The selection of drinks available is second to none except you can't get a decent wine with your meal.
The waiters,waitressess and bar staff do a great job with limited English but even in the short time we was there they seemed to be getting better(wish I'd took a bit of time to learn alittle Portuguese),Olá (hello) and Obrigado (thank you from male),Obrigada (thank you from female) was just enough to be polite.When you get out of the hotel less English is spoken.
The location of this hotel complex is brilliant. You can walk for miles on the beach. Head south and you reach a lovely little village called Praia do Forte and if you head north you can walk for hours and not see anybody(great to look behind you and only see your own footprints). Once when we took a walk to Praia do Forte on the beach we saw some turtles in the sea(some as close as 10-15 feet from the shore)this made our day if not the holiday. Some people said they'd seen a whale, we were not lucky enough to see this.
But the excursions are in my opinion ARE TERRIBLE. I can only report on First Choice excursions. The worst trip in my life was "Cachoeira Country" ten and a half hours of hell. Out of the ten and a half hours we actually spend eight and a half hours stuck on a bus with next to no air con.
You get to stop three times(each stop approx 20mins) and 1 hour for lunch(no mention you have to pay for drinks even though your offered them straight away). Be prepared for a two and a half hour drive (no rest stop to stretch your legs) to the first part of the trip. But the worst is at the end when it's a three and a half hour drive back to the hotel(again without a rest stop). Some peaple went on the Salvador trip and they said the same two and a half on a bus both ways again with no rest stops.
But don't lets finish on a bad point. This holiday was BRILLIANT. Definitely be going back.

Not as good as expected

by TripAdvisor Member bugman4

This holiday had many problems from start to finish.

Our flights were with My Travel and we found the cabin crew to be unhelpful and at times, downright rude. The plane did not have sufficient pillows and blankets to service all those on the flight, one of our seat back TV screens was not working, and when I asked for orange juice rather than tea or coffee (which I don't drink) I was basically told that I was a nuisance and they would maybe get me a drink if they had time.

Transfer to the hotel was fine and check in went smoothly. I had requested a room in a quiet part of the hotel with a pool view and a king size bed. We were allocated room 1266 which looked out over the golf course, had twin beds and was almost as close as it was possible to get to the theatre and disco.

The bath in the room was badly stained and looked as though it had been in use for years rather than the few months that the hotel had been open. The wardrobe doors had fallen off and had not been replaced and the room had obviously not been cleaned properly because there was soiled underweear from a previous occupant under the setee.

For the fist few days everything went well although the waitress service round the pool was very slow and sometimes you never received the drinks you had ordered. Oher than that there were no real problems.

Then disaster struck the hotel!!!

A group of 250 spanish guests arrived on an Iberojet holiday and everything went downhill from then onwards.
These guests were obviously favoured by the hotel who had all the singers, dancers, etc. in reception to greet them with a carnival atmosphere when they arrived. After that the service received by the non Spanish guests in the restaurants was appalling. The waiters/waitresses were all rushing around to ensure that the Spanish guests had all they wanted and no one else mattered. We waited 20 minutes to get a glass of wine with our evening meals and most mornings my wife had to get her own coffee from the urns because the staff could not be bothered to serve us. On one evening, half the buffet restaurant was reserved for the Spanish guests and on the side which was open for other guests they had not bothered to switch on the coffee urns.

The restaurant ran out of plates, glasses for cold dinks, butter, bacon at breakfast times and even managed to run out of bananas for two days.

One ray of hope for the buffet restaurant was Williams who was by far the most friendly and helpful of all the staff.

At the start of our second week, after 4 days without the room mini-bar being restocked, I finally cracked and complained direct to the hotel manager. Things did improve after that but not to the standard I would expect from a five star hotel.

The one area where we had no complaints was the star friends animation team. During the day they were entertaining without being pushy and organised some great activities. Everyone was infected by their enthusiasm.
Some of the evening shows were a little bit cheesy but that's what you expect on holiday and overall the entertainment was far superior to anything we have experienced before.

As a brief summary:

The hotel itself is fantastic.
Don't bother requesting anything because it will be ignored.
The restaurant staff are generally unhelpful.
They don't restock the plates, glasses, ec. until they have run out and everyone is standing round waiting.
Poolside service is poor.
The star friends are brilliant.

I realise that the hotel in new and some of these problems may be cured over time but the standard at present does not meet 5 star expectations. There are better holidays to be had elsewhere but if you want to go to Iberostar Bahia make sure you are fluent in spanish before you arrive.

Tiring but definitely worth the long trip

by TripAdvisor Member Welshwoman101

My partner and I recently returned from a 2 centre trip to Brazil with First Choice. We initially visited Rio and despite the rain thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The included trip was definitely worth doing even though heavy mist obscured the view of the statue of christ and the city at the time we visited. The train journey up to and down from the statue was very entertaining, on the way down a Samba band joined us in the carriage. Also visited the catholic cathedral and had the opportunity to dress up and be photographed in carnvial outfits for a few reals.

We stayed at the Hotel Vilamar Copacabana which is set back 2 streets from Copacabana beach. Our rep advised us not to wear jewellery, expensive watches, carry handbags, cameras etc and only carry the cash we needed for each trip out of the hotel and to my knowledge no one on our trip experienced any problems. Need high levels of tolerance when sitting at the beach kiosks/or sunbathing on the beach, as you are constantly asked to look at street vendors wares etc. We were approached a few times by youngsters begging and also noticed families sleeping rough on the streets which certainly made us reflect on our how lucky we were. We were glad we bought our alcohol allowance, Havaianas flip flops etc from the supermarket and shops near the hotel as they were definitely much cheaper than in Bahia. Plus we got a much better exchange rate when exchanging US dollars for Reals in the Rio hotel compared with the Iberostar.

On arrival at the Iberostar Bahia, like other reviewers we were also struck at how impressive the lobby and bar was. It certainly made the right impression as we walked to reception and were welcomed with a cocktail whilst completing the necessary paperwork.

I can't really add much to what has already been written about the room other than to clarify that the safe is free which is good as this isn't always the case with all-inclusive resorts.

Our maid service was very good and we came back each day to find a different towel sculpture and flowers on the bed. They were very good at replenishing flannels, towels and toiletries etc.

One thing we missed was the opportunity to have a drink in the room whilst getting ready for dinner, as the mini-bar only stocks beer, soft drinks and water, there are no spirits. To get around this we either got a glass of straight gin etc from the pool bar before it shut at 5pm or the lobby bar and took this back to our room and added the mixer later. We found the best wine was served in the three speciality restaurants rather than in the main buffet, there the red was awful and believe me we gave it plently of time to improve. Also pays to ask, as I noticed a few guests asking for glasses of cava to accompany their dessert which otherwise wasn't offered in the Marie Nostrum restaurant.

However, that said the food and bar service overall was above average for such a large all inclusive resort. The breakfasts were good and I really liked the donut station where you could get hot donuts covered in chocolate - heavenly.

The other reviews cover off the main entertainment, so I thought I would just mention the eco trip that the hotel organises, these happen on a Monday and a Thursday, at 9am or 3pm and involve a walk around the extensive grounds of the hotel accompanied by biology students from Salvador University. This cost us nothing and was extremely interesting. the young people speak excellent english and were really passionate about the flora and fauna of their native country. We were lucky to see a hummingbird, a bush dog, various lizards and snakes. Cover up and take plently of water with you though, as still hot at 3pm. Apparently if you go in the morning you will see more birds. We also visited the turtle breeding grounds and saw some early nests and had a lecture and video on the turtles and learnt that the resort had been re-sited further down the beach than originally planned to prevent it having a negative impact on the turtle breeding.

If you are reading this prior to your trip - have a brilliant time.

A great tiem was had by all

by TripAdvisor Member Taffy45

I have just spent 2 weeks (15th Oct) at the Iberostar Bahia and it has some very good points, however not 5 star. There are no optics in the room, no fluffy robes and no beach bar. However the food is excellent, rooms spacious and beach is beautiful. George the First Choice rep is there to meet you off the coach and say goodbye and that is the total of his use.

All 3 speciality restaurant were very good however I felt the resort lacked a Brazilian feel and I could have been anywhere. Typical Iberostar hotel e.g. an impressive lobby bar, windy swim up bar and spacious entertainment room. Star friends as always worked extremely hard and although they were not fluent in English they tried very hard and every day you saw improvements. Nivea, a waitress in the buffet always had a smile at morning and night. The towel sculptures were a nice touch and tips were not expected however gratefully received. Remember you are entitled to 3 speciality restaurants a week, however whilst I was there they were trying to limit it to 5 a fortnight!

The first week the hotel was quite quiet however the second week there were far more Brazilians holidaying in the hotel. This sometimes made you feel like you were wearing “invisible powder” as they always got served before you, although you were at the bar first.

We did the 2 day /1 night trip to Rio and were fortunate to travel we an extremely friendly group of “Macs”. I would recommend to anyone visiting the hotel to visit Rio the statue of Christ the Redeemer is worth the early morning flight. Book with hotel and not First Choice as it is much cheaper. If you can get on the Wednesday trip this will give you the opportunity of attending a football match Wednesday evening and more time for shopping. The Saturday trip is okay but he shops do not open until 2pm on the Sunday and the Amsterdam Gem stores are not open on the Sunday. Be prepared for the weather to be changeable in Rio but don’t let it spoil your stay. Beaches in Rio are just like the postcards.

The Turtle sanctuary in Praia is a must as the village offers an insight into the real Brazil. Havianas are excellent value and a must for everyone’s suitcase. I was part of a group where over 50 pairs were brought back by 5 ladies, whose age ranged from 30-60, as one said “it does matter if you are having a fat day your Havianas will always fit”.

Downside of the hotel is there is only a swim up pool bar to get a drink from and nowhere you can sit outside and have a drink. The entertainment in the evening was the same as all other Iberostar hotels and the disco is often taken over by Spanish/Brazilian and star friends playing House music, and children were allowed in the disco. This I felt was unsuitable as it didn’t open to 11pm and I feel there should always be one place in the hotel that adults can let their hard down without thinking of offending children.

Don’t try to compare Brazil with Cuba, Mexico, Dom Rep as it is a new tourist area and the others have been open for years. I am sure anyone who chooses it in 2007 will not be disappointed and will get excellent value for money. Expect 5 star and you may be disappointed but you will get 4*+, and who knows by 2007 it may have achieved 5*s

Finally I would like to say Hello to Vanessa, Sam, Leanne, Rob, Connor, Ann, Les, Derek and Marlene and thank them for their company and the laughs we shared between 30th Sept and 14th October. I think I speak for us all when I say “We had a ball”. and I brought the “bronze Adonis” home with me (joke). If you have any questions please feel free to mail me on bevr@underwoodisl.co.uk and I will be happy to answer if I can

Improved now 5 star

by TripAdvisor Member rosedene

My wife visited the hotel in June and was disapointed with the service for an Iberostar hotel. Just returned today and I was very impressed and my wife said the service and the English of the staff had greatly improved(unfortunatly her Portugese has not) since her visit and the shows are more professional. As other reports have stated the hotel is very good and when the golf course opens soon it will be a hotel not to miss. During the last 2 weeks the 3rd block and swiming pool have opened had no trouble geting sunbeds or seats in the bars and theatre. First Choice who we travelled with are not going during our winter which is a shame as its the Brazilian summer season so by next spring the Hotel should be even better. Will go back for sure

wish i could go back

by TripAdvisor Member oursar

i have just spent 2 fantastic weeks at this hotel, from sept8th - sept22nd, we had a letter stating ongoing construstion work would be in progress, but we never heard a thing, everything about the hotel is fantastic esp all the staff, they work so hard, the entertainment staff are so energetic and fun, the are all fantastic, shame though, the same couldnt have been said for our first choice rep 'george' he was useless, most of us staying that week, that i spoke to, felt the same way, he wouldnt even say hello if he passed you by the pool, he also told us that no other travel agent would do the trip to rio, this is not true, first choice do the one trip which is 2nights in rio at £370 per person, no matter what age, the agent within the complex does a tour for 1 night for £275,which we did, and had an amazing time,our tour guide was paulo ,who speaks very good english (he also does private tours in rio, you can contact him on [-]
we also did the tropicanna trip with first choice and found out that first choice will not allow people to ride on a zip wire over a river ,where as other travel companies would ,i would definately recommend this trip, you can book this at the inside travel agent too, as they have lots more things to offer
the beach is amazing sometimes there is only you walking in one vast area, and if you are as lucky as me, spot turtles and sometimes whales, its fantastic, the walk along the beach into praia da forte is nice, but is hard walk, as it takes about 50 mins to do, but worth it, you can always cheat on the way back and get a cab very easily for 20 reals, the town is lovely too, its very clean and very safe, you can draw money from cash machines there too

i just wish i was still there, so anyone reading this i hope you enjoy it as much as me :-)

Iberostar Lobby  EntranceIberostar Lobby Entrance

Iberostar Bahia new hotel in praia de forte help needed.

by gemini.mckimbo

Does anyone know anything about the new Iberostar bahia hotel opening in praia de forte?

We are supposed to be staying here the first week in May and are a little worried about the opening date of this hotel and the state it may be n when we arrive. As we payed alot of money for this holiday we would like things to be perfect so does anyone have any info on this hotel please.

Also does anyone know what the area is like that this hotel is in?

RE: Iberostar Bahia new hotel in praia de forte help needed.

by TamaraCavanagh

Hi

I wouldnt worry about it. The Iberostar website has now posted some real pictures instead of the artists impressions and they look pretty good.

I am going in August and have would have no worries if I was you. Iberostar have a fantastic reputation!

Try tripadvisor.com for any reviews as the hotel opened 2 weeks ago so I am expecting people to start posting reviews any day!

Have a fantastic time!!

Regards

Tamara Cavanagh

RE: Iberostar Bahia new hotel in praia de forte help needed.

by marke18

We are also really concerned now.

The fact that the hotel will be being worked on whilst we are there, with cranes and power tools from 8am to 7.30 pm does fill me with some concern. I know that the various companies have said that it shouldn't affect people's enjoyment of the hotel, but I'm not so sure.

The fact that some people travelling with other companies have been offerred the chance to cancel makes we wonder how much they really think it will effect our enjoyment (we are travelling with Airtours and they haven't advised us of any problems).

It is only through other sites that i have discovered that there will be work going on.
Let's hope it will be okay and we will all have a great time!

RE: RE: Iberostar Bahia new hotel in praia de forte help needed.

by TamaraCavanagh

Hi People

Just thought I would let you know that there is a huge review on the hotel from someone who has just come back last week. This can be found on www.tripadvisor.co.ok. Just enter the Iberostar Bahia into the hotel search on the page and it will bring up the review!

There is also another fantastic review on www.iberostar-board.com. Thus member has also just returned and has posted 100 pictures.

These 2 reviews will completely put your mind a ease!

We just cant wait to go!!

Tamara