Albergue do Porto YH

Albergue do Porto YH
Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Salvador da Bahia

more of sururu with toast and special mayo saucemore of sururu with toast and special mayo sauce

Getting your hair braidedGetting your hair braided

Chalet in a tree - Palmeiras - Chapada DiamantinaChalet in a tree - Palmeiras - Chapada Diamantina

Folklore Dance PerformanceFolklore Dance Performance

Cities connected to SAA Salvador da Bahia airport

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Bahia for the beginning of june, hopefully for three months. I'm travelling from Ireland which could make for a very complicated journey, so I was wondering if anyone can give me a list of all the non-Brazilian airports connected to Salvador da Bahia SAA airport so I can see if any of those connect to my local airport so I can plan the least complicated journey possible.

I've looked at the airport website and it doesn't give me much info. Because all the other alternatives involve 3 or 4 flights, and because I will almost certainly have to change my returning flights, finding a flight that involves just one change would help me out a great deal.

Thanks!!!!

Can't wait to go.

by cassiovieggore

I will list some hints to you:
1) As far as I read TAP-Transportes Aereos Portugueses serves the line
Dublin-->Salvador
2) The best brazilian airways are GOL and TAM. TAM serves UK through Edinburg
and London
3) There's a new brazilian airway operating: Azul Linhas Aereas Brasileiras.
Azul serves Salvador and São Paulo (Campinas and São Paulo city airports).
4) There are many aircrafts to Salvador operated by TAM and GOL.
I am pasteing some links to you in order to make easy your schedule journey

I believe your schedule may be easily done .
Cassiovieggore

by sianmurray

thanks so much. As far as I know all those airlines involve me going from Ireland to the UK to Mainland Europe to Salvador OR Ireland to Mainland Europe to Sao Paolo to Salvador. I'll look again but that's what the travel agents told me.

What I'm looking for really is a journey that has only one change rather than two ( I would love to go straight from Dublin, but doubt that's possible!!!) and staying with one airline if at all possible.

Thank you so much for taking time to help me.

by bahiana77

The issue of direct flights from Europe or the U.S. to any city other than the Sao Paulo air hub (or maybe Rio) is one that still needs some work. Direct access to Salvador has improved lately from the U.S. with the addition of an American Airlines flight direct from Miami (with connections to other U.S. cities). As far as I know, the only direct flights from U.K. were some charters by Thompsons/First Choice (as part of an all-inclusive package to Praia do Forte) that are no longer operating.

by Brasileiro-007

Hi,

we have friends who live in London. They go to Frankfurt (Germany) first and with Condor on a direct flight to SSA. Or they go to Lisbon (Portugal) and from there with TAP on a direct flight to SSA. Maybe there are direct flights from Ireland to Frankfurt or Lisbon, so you would have only one change in Frankfurt or Lisbon.

Wish you all the best.

Hi guys.

I finally booked. Flying from Cork to Lisbon, Overnight in Lisbon, on to Salvador da Bahia and it's a straight run from Salvador da Bahia-Lisbon-Dublin on the way back. No flight to Cork on Fridays just Tue, Thu, Sat.

Using Aer Lingus and TAP and got the TAP flight through USIT.

YAY!!!

Travel Tips for Salvador da Bahia

Looking for a Bank?

by Zarasher

Nearly all the banks have the Cirrus and Maestro signs but from my experience not all of them I could withdraw money from with my cashcard.

With a British (I think European too but not 100% sure) debit card you can only withdraw from HSBC... which is about a 5 minute walk from the bottom of the elavator... I was also able to withdraw from the cashpoint upstairs in Mercado Modelo, although this one did have a charge. HSBC has a branch on Avenida Marquês de Caravelas, 355, in Barra. The ATMs accept Cirrus, Maestro, Mastercard, and American Express

Lembranca do Senhor do Bonfim da Bahia

by ValbyDK

I got this good luck wristband in the old city of Salvador da Bahia. It is supposed to grant wishes and protects. I got mine from a street vendor who didn’t have any change and instead gave me the wristband. You can also buy them and they only cost a few cents.

On the wristband is written: “Lembranca do Senhor do Bonfim da Bahia”, which means “Souvenir of Our Lord of a Good End of Bahia” (Senhor do Bonfim is apparently one of the names used for Jesus).

To bring good luck you tie it with three knots, and for each knot you make a wish. Then you wait for it to fall off, and when it does you must throw the wristband in the sea. If not, your wishes will not come true and you will also be hunted with bad luck…

Ribeira - Leisure Neighbourhood

by mircaskirca

Ribeira is a neighbourhood on the bay side of the city on the peninsula of Itapagipe in the lower city (cidade baixa). It's not very far from the well-known Igreja (Church) de Bonfim. Ribeira was initially occupied by fishermen that counted on the peacefulness of the waters. From primitive fishermen village, the area became an important summer resort in the beginning of the 20th century.

Ribeira has a long stretch of beach and barracas (simple little bars and restaurants). Sunday is the big day, with seemingly endless streams of local people eating, drinking, listening to music, dancing and socializing. On weekdays you see only a few people around and the area is perfect for those who like idyllic walks and visitors of Ribeira ice cream parlour, the most traditional in the city.

The waters are calm in the bay, so they use it for training and competitions of nautical sports. The area is a busy centre of night leisure with restaurants of typical and regional food. The view across the bay to islands and hills on the far side is lovely.

Getting to Ribeira is easy by bus. Walk to the bus stop in front of Mercado Modelo. Buses going to Ribeira pass every several minutes and Ribeira is the end of the line. There are direct buses from Barra as well.

"Now look at my shop!"

by sunlovey about Bonfim ribbons & guys selling necklaces

We'd walked maybe 10 steps in the Pelourinho area of Salvador before a man approached me and began tying a yellow ribbon about my wrist, " A gift! A gift! Make a wish for each knot." He tied three. Then he said, "OK, now look at my shop!" He stretched his right arm straight out for me to have a look at the various necklaces dangling from it. "I give you a good deal!," he went on to say. I picked out two and said "How much?"
"15," he replied and I reached my hand out to Tim for the cash. Why the hell not? The necklaces were crafted of red seeds and coconut, quite cool if you ask me. And I was helping this guy out. Two days later I "visited" another guy's shop (more necklaces dangling from his arm) and Ninon and I bought loads more. They make great souvenirs and you can't beat the price... As much as you want... as little as $5 REAL

The famously massive Lacerda elevator

by sunlovey

Salvador consists of an upper (Cidade Alta) and a lower (Cidade Baixa) city. The upper city is home to the historic district that is Pelourinho, the lower district is many things, but as far as tourism goes, home to the Mercado Modelo.

If you walk between the upper and lower city it's quite steep, but doable. You can also take a cab between the two, but it seems the most famous way to get between the two is this claustrophobic elevator. It costs like .60 real each way. You'll be bombarded by vendors at each end. Enjoy!

Before you take the elevator down to the lower city take a moment to look out over the water, a really nice view awaits you...

Comments