Hotel Bahia Do Sol

Av. Sete de Setembro, 2009, Corredor da Vitoria, Salvador, State of Bahia, 40080-002, Brazil
Hotel Bahia Do Sol
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 31% less but rated 32% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Salvador da Bahia

lambreta delicacylambreta delicacy

A cool refreshing beverageA cool refreshing beverage

Valley of Capao - Palmeiras - Chapada DiamantinaValley of Capao - Palmeiras - Chapada Diamantina

Folklore Dance PerformanceFolklore Dance Performance

Floods

by i5rider

Hello,
I am planning to go to Salvador for 4 days approximately on the 3rd week of May. I've read about the terrible floods affecting the NE of Brazil, my sympathy for those who have had losses.
Does anyone know if Salvador has been affected? I may consider to stay in Rio if the situation is not looking very good.

thanks in advance
-L

by cassiovieggore

As far as I read floods in Brazil are now in northeast region. That includes Piaui, Maranhão, Paraiba, Ceará e Pernambuco. The amazon river draw level with banks as well.
Floods are bad since illnes comes with health worse. Dust comes when sun shines again and make breath difficult. Calamity brings hunger, illness and thursty.
I believe these rains may stop sooner. It's raining there since some weeks ago.
Salvador is not flooded yet. However the forecasts are getting crazy and you should consider to stay in Rio if something worst happens. Till May, 20 you will have some other good news. Keep attending the brazilian news to be safe.
I am pasteing a link from brazilian press:

Cassiovieggore

by bahiana77

Salvador has indeed been effected. But most tourist sights and neighborhoods have not really been effected at all.
There was a bus/minibus accident in Itapua last week, the same day we came to my friends' to find the kitchen floor flooded, probably because of the slope in the condominio. But most damage is occuring in the poorer neighborhoods where the quality of the construction on marginal and often sloping land is also poor.
There have actually been some good beach days in the last month or so.
Buy one of those huge black umbrellas for R$10 and go have fun.

by i5rider

Hey, thanks a lot for the advice.

Travel Tips for Salvador da Bahia

Lot´s of tourist police.

by cachaseiro

Pelourinho used to be a very dangorous place but today it has become a very safe place as the place is swarming with tourist police who are there only to make sure nothing happens to the visitng tourists.
They are almost on every street corner and are very easy to recognise if you need help.

Great food

by acemj

I really enjoyed the food in Bahia. Not that I've been to too many places in Brazil, but of the three states I did visit, I liked the food here best. The African influence here is unmistakable and the result is a spicier, more flavorful cuisine.

Teach English in a Needy + Friendly Salvador Area

by caitums

I spent three months teaching english in Sao Caetano, an area of Salvador near to Riebera, rougly a 20 minutes bus ride from Pelorinhio. After the tourist trap that is Pelorinhio, you can become quite cynical about Salvador in general which is why it was so refreshing to live in this normal area where I saw the genuine Bahian friendliness and was treated like a normal person. I rented a room off two Brazillian sisters and set up an evening class. My students were dedicated, friendly and generally amazing people! However, unfortunately I eventually had to leave (and go to university) and they are desperate for more people to come and carry on the teaching. Speaking english makes a really big difference to these people's lives as it drastically improves their job prospects. I decided to do this because I was sceptical about those volenteering packages where you end up spending thousands of pounds to work or teach somewhere with little idea where your money will end up. Also, I didn't have the money. I initially tried to volenteer at a Brazillian NGO in Salvador but since I didn't speak good portuguese when I arrived it was hard to communicate that I wasn't interested in money and just wanted to help etc. With the help of a Sao Caetano local (Rivaldo) who completly took me under his wing, I organised this evening class. Sao Caetano is a great area. It is a bit dirty and poor but its a normal neighbourhood where normal Brazillians live and has a great sense of community. In fact, I felt much safer there than in Pelorinhio where there are a lot more drugs and people out to get your money. As long as you are humble and friendly, you will see a completly different side to Salvador and Brazil in general. I'm putting this up here because there is no other way that people would know about this area and there is a real need for english teaching there. If you would like more information email me ( caitums@hotmail.com) and I can give you more details. DO IT!

Plastic Freak?

by Kittelite about Tupperware

If you are into Tupperware, this is a good place to look. I thought that it was only available to buy at homeparties. At least that is how to buy it here in Denmark. They have sometimes some extremely good offers, at rediculously low prices.
It is definitely worth checking it out! You will be able to find things for less than 50% of the prices in fx.Denmark

Lancha to "Mar Grande" Itaparica.

by Kittelite

If you plan to go to the island of Itaparica, i recommend to go to Mar Grande. As i see it this island is overexposed, and less than interresting! Many talk about those beautiful beaches and the fantastic waters, but i think they are quite muddy, and the water is unclear.
The restaurants are expensive, and all places but Mar Grande seem desserted. Even the main town is desserted....Spookey!!!
Anyway i recommend the trip back and forth, with the little boat, that you catch from the habour behind Mercado Modelo Down Town. The ticket cost around 4-5 R$ each way, and i would take the tour just to enjoy the views. You can buy drinks onboard, and it is often a boat full of happyholliday guests.

Comments