Villa da Praia Hotel

Mangue SecoMangue Seco

Igreja da Ordem Terceira do CarmoIgreja da Ordem Terceira do Carmo

Carlinhos Brown: Mil VeroesCarlinhos Brown: Mil Veroes

Women in PelourinhoWomen in Pelourinho

I need information about cross country buses! HELP!!!

by Zarasher

I am trying to go to Salvador for the Christmas period but the flight prices are sheer daylight robbery. I can, however get a flight to Sao Paulo from London. It would be up to me to make my way from SP to Salvador and then back again. Does anyone know how much and how long it takes to get from SP to Salvador by bus... better yet, has anyone done the trip?

I've been advised that a flight is better but then I have hear that those are expensive and I would be allowed domestic luggage allowance which would be way less than the international one...

Oh what to do!
Help!

by zionstar

Hola

I did this trip by bus last February but not in one bit. I took the bus from Rio to Porto Seguro (which took me about 22 hours) spend some time there as it's lovely and than took the bus from Porto Seguro to Salvador (which was another 11 hours). Buses especially the nice sleeper ones aren't all that cheap and can get booked out as well in the high season.
There is a cheap airline in Brasil called Gol but as far as I know you need to have an Brasilian credit card to book via internet. My advice would be to go check in a travel agency around your home now and see if not maybe they can find you something cheap from Sao Paolo to Bahia with Gol (because they can book it). I loved Bahia it is such a wonderful place, almost a bit out of this world :) Enjoy it.

by Porteno

Here is the web address for GOL http://www.voegol.com.br/ You can purchase on line if you have an American Express card, I have not checked lately but you might try to purchase with a Visa or MC and see what happens. GOL recently purchase VARIG which had been the national airline so you might check prices with them as well http://portal.varig.com.br/br/varig/index_html

I believe the only European city they currently serve is Frankfurt, but might be worth checking both flights from Frankfurt or booking VARIG from Sao Paulo to Salvador.

Suerte
SAM

by Zarasher

I am leaning towards the bus idea more especially for the return journey because a domstic flight will not allow me the full luggage allowance. I'm just wondering what kind of price I'm looking at for the bus...

by robine

I don't remember, but the fares are very reasonable, and the coaches comfortable and reliable (though distances, and therefore journey lengths, are horrendous). Go for the more comfortable leito buses. Boa viagem!

by hmoitta

how much : about 110 US$
how long : about 32 hours

by bahiana77

ZJ-
The flight on GOL is almost as cheap as the bus (to the point it hardly makes a difference)--and nobody has ever complained about the bags I take or the weight.

by Lady_Disdain

Always check all the airlines (GOL, TAM, BRA). Although GOL is the "cheaper" airline, I often find better prices with TAM (for example, on the SP-RJ shuttle). Look for late night flights and promotional offers.

Have you checked air passes? I have been told you can get a good deal on those (TAM has them for foreigners).

by fmz4j1977

I did that trip first by plane sao paulo to bahia wich costs about 100 dollars and takes about 1 hour + and back by bus. By bus it takes a whole day stopping in rio or in belo horizonte as i did. I would recomend you take the plane better if you can afford it

by Kittelite

Hi Zarasher. So you return? Great isnt it. Ill see you there.
My experience on flying domestic, is that it even easier to take lots of extra luggage on these flights. It seems like they "dont weigh" the bags. Earlier i always used Varig from Sao Paolo to Salvador. So im not 100% on how things work now.

Travel Tips for Salvador da Bahia

Bahian dress

by ValbyDK

When you enter Pelourinho in Salvador da Bahia, you’ll be met by baiana women wearing traditional Bahian dresses.

The outfit of a baiana woman is turban, starched skirts of colourful pattern, shawl over the shoulder or tied to the breast and bracelets and necklaces. Today the dress is normally used in religious ceremonies – or by the women you’ll meet in Pelourinho.

A photo of the baiana women in Pelourinho will cost you a few reais.

Casual Casual Casual

by MulattaCarioca

Mosquito Repellent, year round
Your Favorite Shampoo & Conditioner
Deoderant (you'll be surprised at how much more you need it) Shorts, Linen Pants (in Dark and Light Colors), Tennis Shoes (cobblestones are NOT friendly to high heels, although we Brasilians wear them without incident) Allergy Meds (this is an tropical country, after all) Bring battery packs unless you stay at Village Novo (where you can recharge just by plugging in)

Ilha dos Frades

by Andreas_Fran

A very small island across Ilha Itaparica. Without electricity it's not full open to tourist so if you schedule to stay you must arrange by your own (taking the trip boat to Itaparica, it stop for about 1 hour so you can stay 2 or 3 days)

Bar do Goethe

by martinelli about Bar do Goethe

Very good atmosphere, nice serving, good prices, good food, always a good cultural alternative. The chief waiter, Miguel, will do his best to serv you. I strongly recommend the fried aipim (yukka). They are masters in it, although it's a german bar...

Indoors and outdoors ambiences. as long as you're not naked, anything goes...

Fresh Italian

by MulattaCarioca about Praca Italia

This restaurant is great for a few reasons:

Good quick service
Open late
Good arugula topped pizza
Great caipirinhas
Close to most pousadas in the area

and it's very affordable. Rucola (arugula) pizza