São Paulo Hotels

Our Members Say

• Alless profile photo Alless
  • Reviews: 207

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bourbon Convention Ibirapuera: Good Location Convention Hotel!

The best of this hotel is that is located just 10 minutes by car from Congonhas Airport and near Ibirapuera Park (15 MIN BY CAR), beside Ibirapuera Shopping.

• Written December 30, 2012

Bourbon Ibirapuera

• Elainehead profile photo Elainehead
  • Reviews: 554

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

H3 Paulista: Good value w/ mixed feelings about place/location

Warning: There will be a lot of criticism in this review, but I would stay again IF I can't find anything cheaper than their rate. Only single and double rooms available (no extra bed available, which is a pity), so not suitable for 3 adults or parents with older children.

Whenever I go to São Paulo I stay at a hotel, but each year it's getting more and more expensive. I usually stayed at Formule 1 Paulista or Paraiso, but this time they were charging about US$ 91 for the room (US$ 6 for breakfast) and honestly, I think it wasn't worth the price. After some research, I found this new hotel called H3 Paulista for US$ 82 (double room with breakfast). It's probably a temporary rate because the hotel is still under renovations/work.

Make sure you have the exact address because there isn't any hotel sign outside their building, just a white paper with their building number 217 attached on their breakfast window...Hopefully it's just temporary... The front desk personnel were very professional, so I can't complain, maybe they should mention about the free wi-fi (password) and how to reach them on the phone (what number should we dial).

I booked my room with Booking.com and the pictures looked better than in person. I mean, the main hall looks fine, but when you approach the elevators/lifts (only one on service), you start having doubts about the place. The elevators doors look in bad shape and if you look at your left (while waiting for the lift), you may notice the bad state of the wall near the stairs. When you get inside the lift, it's very dusty and the lift door won't close completely, so there'll be about a 1,5 cm space left... Yeah, not very reassuring...

When you get to your floor, the carpet looks cheap and in the room, the furniture isn't new, except for the bed and the bathroom. I think the bathroom work was done too quickly (or badly done) and they didn't finish it very well (you can notice around the bathroom window, by the way, if there's anyone peeking the bathroom window from the apartment across (higher floor), they will definitely see you naked while showering. Good water pressure despite taking some time warming it up.

The room does have air conditioning but it's too noisy if you turn it on. Windows, doors and walls are thin, so if you are a light sleeper, this place isn't for you. I was awaken at 7 AM with room neighbors speaking and people going to breakfast, then the renovation works started around 8h30 AM.

Bed and pillow were comfy and clean. There's a flat TV screen, but I didn't really use it. Wi-fi was free and worked fine on the third floor (you have to ask for the passwork at the front desk).

One funny thing to mention, apparently they weren't having electric power issues and for some reason the main room light would flash from time to time when it was off. It didn't bother us, but the personnel apologized for the inconvenience.

Breakfast was included but there isn't much choice (it's courtesy according to their website, so I think you can't really complain, can you?). There's only one person at the breakfast room, so if you aren't patient, don't bother having breakfast here. I had to ask 3 times to have hot water for some tea... Dirty dishes were getting stacked on the counter and when I got a supposed clean glass, it was actually dirty (huge lipstick stain)...

The location isn't the best because even though it's close to Avenida Paulista (1 km away), it's at the end of a steep street (forget high heels and/or heavy luggage if you plan coming on foot) and the neighborhood is a bit dodgy at night. If you want to avoid that steep street, your only option is getting a taxi...Apparently there are no buses nearby that goes to Avenida Paulista...

As I mentioned before, despite all these negative points, I would stay here again ONLY IF I can't find anything cheaper...

Good value with a lot to consider.

• Related to: Singles, Budget Travel, Business Travel
  • Written October 27, 2011
Tip Photo

Comfy and modern bed but old bedside table...

• schurlif profile photo schurlif
  • Reviews: 256

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Slaviero Executive Guarulhos: Another one for early morning GRU outbound flights

Here's my first tip in ages, no more Camila and this place is not even in São Paulo, but in Guarulhos, a few km from the Int´l Airport and it may and should be of interest to you if you have one of these early outbound flights from GRU ( or worse even, if you have to pick someone up coming from, say, Miami. These flights arrive usually between 5:30 - 7:00 AM...)

As I don't live in São Paulo anymore, what else should I do than stay in a nice place like this when my plane to the USA leaves next day at 9:30 AM and I' m supposed to be at the airport THREE hours prior to departure ??

After having tried out Mercure and Ibis in Guarulhos, both of which I didn't like too much, tumbling upon this hotel "frightened" me at first glance, because the first impression was that I'll have to spend a lot.... I almost didn't stop to ask but did anyway and to my utmost surprise the rate was literally cheap ! ( maybe it was a weekend, this has a lot to do with it...).

Somewhat distanced but very polite attendance, modern, minimalistic style and interiors, ample space everywhere, at a slightly higher rate than Ibis just down the road where there is no attendance at all.....

A place like this in a city where the only reason to be has to do with the nearby inevitable airport is soothing the plagued traveler's ordeals..... Slaviero Hotel is like an oasis of calm, spacious comfort and so conveniently close to the stressy airport. The rooms are huge ( I didn't measure, of course, but it looked like easily 40sqm ) and just about perfect with magnificient views of the ( otherwise not very attractive ) city. Good restaurant, great self service breakfast included and on the top floor an almost pityful small pool but also a relaxing jacuzzi and a work out gym.

I will not recommend to anyone to do tourism in Guarulhos, but IF you have to go and need to stay overnight, Slaviero is for me number one, the best place to stay..... I heartily recommend.

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written February 10, 2011
Tip Photo

the almost nihilistic lobby and reception

• cachaseiro profile photo cachaseiro
  • Reviews: 1924

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Limetime hostel.: Very friendly and funky hostel.

When i came to Sao Paulo i just did a quick google search for hostels while i was sitting at the airport getting ready for departure and many hostels came up on the search, but i thought the limetime hostel looked good so i decided to go there.
This was a really good choice as i think it´s one of the best hostels i have ever been.
It´s a very young place and you must be able to accept a bit of a party atmosphere, but they were happy to welcome me even if i was 40 years old and they were very helpful when it came to giving me directions out of Sao Paulo by bicycle.
The place has both dorm beds and private rooms and they have a nice little bar where there is a free caipirinha every night for the people staying there.

The staff makes a very big positive difference here.
Very nice people who were born to run a hostel and help fellow travellers.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Cycling
  • Written August 9, 2010
Tip Photo

The reception at the limetime hostel.

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 332

Pousada Dona Zilah: Safe, comfortable Pousada in Jardins District

We stayed at this Pousada in March 2009. We paid R$180/night (about $90 USD/night for an ensuite with a double bed, A/C, wifi internet, TV and breakfast. Free parking was included which would probably be a big plus if you were nutty enough to drive in this city. Room was very small, sparsely furnished but very clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was very good with a large selection, buffet style and inluded coffee or tea and various juices. Espresso drinks were extra. We felt very safe walking around the Jardins area and the Avenida Poulista area at night.

Restaurant on premises with emphasis on natural foods, reasonably priced. Very nice sitting/dining area of restaurant is covered but with large open, windowed area fronting the street.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture, Museum Visits
  • Written June 7, 2009

Pousada Dona Zilah, Sao Paulo, Brazil

• Eish profile photo Eish
  • Reviews: 116

Pousada Dona Zilah: Pousada Dona Zilah is just like home

I like staying in places where the passion and energy of your host can be seen. This is such a place. Our stay here was very comfortable. Our room was full of beds (see picture) but they had arranged a room for 4 for us, which was very kind of them. We had an en suite bathroom: clean, neat and also quite small. The bedding was immaculate. Breakfast, and bottomless delicious coffee, was in a quaint breakfast room and was very tasty. It took about 45 minutes by taxi from the airport to get to the guesthouse.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written November 17, 2007

Quaint architecture

• Elena77 profile photo Elena77
  • Reviews: 165

King Hotel: Central Sao Paulo Hotel

We've been to King Hotel twice already, both times we've been very pleased with our stay! Very nice and comfortable hotel close to the city centre of Sao Paulo. Everyone of the staff is extremely friendly and helpful

Within walking distance to the city centre.
Colour TV, video channel, fridge (with beverages), FM radio, automated telephone system (direct dial), air condition.
Very good breakfast buffet

• Related to: Business Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written July 27, 2007

King Hotel entrance

• rkearns profile photo rkearns
  • Reviews: 445

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

pousada dos franceses: meet the most people from around the world

i arrived late at night and there was still someone awake and friendly (who spoke english) to greet me after a long journey.
the room was comfortable, clean, and the shower had hot water. what more could you ask for?

i also met people from all over! usually in south america, you will meet people from south america and some western european countries....but i met people from all over.

they have an outdoor patio/garden which all the guests share and enjoy.
internet access
a fridge full of beer to drink...and of course it is added to your total bill. but how convenient is it not to have to walk to a store for a cold one??

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written May 24, 2007

• schurlif profile photo schurlif
  • Reviews: 256

Guaru Plaza Hotel: Perfect option for next day early, early flights

This cute , little hotel is just outside of São Paulo , in Guarulhos , about 5 km max from the airport. Camila and I had a flight to Montevideo out of GRU ( = Intern'l Airport of São Paulo ) at 9:00 AM and I figured , if we had to be at the check in at 7:00 AM , we would definitely not make it..... I know Camila and myself..... So I suggested we take a room close to the airport , not to have the hassles and stress next day early in the morning. We went by car as I had calculated that parking the car at the airport would be cheaper than taking a taxi back and forth.
Arriving in Guarulhos we drove around the city to get an idea about it and after a while we found a Meliá and a Mercure ( Accor )..... But this time , we said , we didn't want a room in a trademark chain hotel but in a small , "local", independent hotel....
So , circling around ( pretty confusing , this city) , we found this hotel. For us it was just perfect because we were on a real budget trip. The main pro's were the silence , a big bathroom , everything clean and also the breakfast (included in the price).
We still drove around a lot , found a nice restaurant , had dinner and back in the room stayed up till maybe 2:00 AM.....
I set the alarm for 5:45 , one hour and 15 minutes to wake up , have breakfast, pay, get out of the hotel and get to the check in counter by 7:00 AM.... Everything worked smooth as greased... only Camila had a very , very bad time waking up.... took her a little while and I couldn't resist taking a pic of her very early morning bad humored , cute face...... LOL......
To see this pic , check out my Uruguay Travellogue...

Well , the hotel is pretty simple and small but with very polite and friendly service , it has a big parking lot across the street and has obviously quite some movement because it seems that many people had the same idea as us..... sleep close to the airport and don't miss your flight.....
For this purpose the hotel offers a free airport shuttle for the guests, something not at all common in Brazil and really worth considering......

• Related to: Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 29, 2006
Tip Photo

I hope this is readable.....

• Elainehead profile photo Elainehead
  • Reviews: 554

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

FORMULE 1 Sao Paulo Paulista: Too expensive for what it is

Pictures here.
Hotels in São Paulo are very expensive, so you will hardly find a well located three star hotel under US$ 80.

Formule 1 Paulista attracts all kind of guests, from businessmen to backpackers and it gets usually fully booked all-year round, so book in advance if you are planning at staying here. The only reason to choose this hotel is its location, because pricewise, it's too expensive for what it is... Quality has decreased immensely...

Check-in and check-out is USUALLY (see UPDATE) at noon, so you won't have your room before noon, even if you arrive early in the morning. The staff are helpful and patient. Each guest will have to show a photo-ID, fill out a form and pay the full stay. If there's a third guest, you'll receive the bed linens and a towel. I believe they only give one card-key per room. If you get breakfast, you get a tiny yellow plastic card written "Café da Manhã" (breakfast in Portuguese).

UPDATE: I don't know what happened here, but the check-in has become a huge nightmare! Rooms are hardly ready before 3 PM and the best they can do is offer you to keep your luggage for free (which is usually done for a fee). We asked the receptionist to call us when the room would be ready and then we went out to have lunch. When we got back, the room wasn't ready yet! Despite having booked the room in advance, at first, they didn't have assign the right room (we booked a triple and apparently someone had assigned a double-room)... so we had to wait AGAIN. As we had a third guest with us, they handed her a package with her bed and bath linen. When she opened it, the bed linen was blood stained!!!! EWWWWWWWW!!!! The receptionist was as surprised as the guest... Our room didn't look like it had seen a vacuum-cleaner in a while, but we were too tired to ask someone to clean it.

Rooms: usually clean and small with a double bed, a bunk bed, tiny sink, shower stall and a separate toilet. Not for obese or tall people over 1m80. Carpet isn't usually spotless (some dark stains), so I'd always bring a pair of flip-flops. No wardrobe, just a small rack with 3 hangers and a tiny shelf. There's a small desk and a chair. A bathroom floor towel would be handy. Water splashes out of the stall and leaks over the floor. If someone is sleeping on the bunk bed, be aware that climbing up the stairs may hurt their feet. Or if the person is afraid of heights, put the mattress on the floor instead.

Rate (more expensive each year): 160 Reais (for now) per room and per night. Breakfast: served on the ground floor. It's 9 Reais (for now). Hand your breakfast card and take a tray. Buffet system with 3 types of bread, butter, jams, coffee, hot water, milk, a selection of tea bags, bananas, apples and cake.

If you're hungry in the middle of the night and you're not feeling like going out to buy something, there's a small counter stand on the ground floor selling frozen food, cold beverages and snacks. If it's raining, chances are there'll be a queue. Only 2 microwaves available. No napkins available.

Warning: During rainy season, beware of short power outages. The most affected is the food/beverage area. Think twice before staying on high floors, because during power outages you will be obliged to use the stairs.

Location.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Gay and Lesbian, Singles
  • Written September 27, 2006

• Ipanema_Princess profile photo Ipanema_Princess
  • Reviews: 97

Hostel Praça da Arvore: Excellent Hostel in SP

I stayed 2 nights at this hostel in São Paulo. This is one of the best I've been in Brazil.

Very clean, the common room for girls was really great. Like a big flat, with a "dressing" part with individual lockers and a nice bathroom.
It is located in a residential area. The only "weak point" is that you need a 10/15 mn walk from the metro station Praça da Arvore. So if you carry a lot of luggage it's a bit hard !! But I came back at night, being a girl alone, and had no problem. The area seems very safe.

A lot of services are available. For example you can book bus tickets directly at the desk, and they are delivered within the day.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Study Abroad, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written July 7, 2006

Relax in SP !

• CelloSP profile photo CelloSP
  • Reviews: 15

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Zilah Pousada: A "Pousada" in São Paulo?

A friend who came for a 1-month stay chose Zilah Pousada - a small inn almost at the corner of Alameda Franca and Dr. Mello Alves - great location.
He loved it, mostly because he was on a tight budget and the rate was R$60/day - less than US$30!!!! With breakfast and taxes...

Budget accommodation at prime location. Ensuite bathroom. Simple yet charming, very clean, quiet.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Gay and Lesbian
  • Written June 16, 2006

Great Location

• CelloSP profile photo CelloSP
  • Reviews: 15
Choosing the perfect location: Where to Stay in São Paulo?

In a city as large as São Paulo, location is key.

If you are coming on business and will be too tired to do anything else, stay as close as possible to where you will be working. The most important convention centers are far from areas of major interest. If you stay at a hotel close to your business location, but plan on doing other things, it might pay to stay more centrally located.

Balance several factors
Will you be enjoying the nightlife?
If so, stay closer to the venues you have in mind. Remember you may resort to public transport by day, but not by night. Taxis are more expensive from 8pm to 6am, so it makes more sense to pay a lower fare long-ride by day and a higher fare short-ride by night (if you stay in a central location and take a cab to go to work) than the other way ‘round. For more info about transport in São Paulo, visit my Intro page.

Many people think of staying downtown - it's cheaper. True, and there are a few nice hotels. Yet, downtown is seedier, more run-down and more dangerous than, say, Jardins.
Stay close to you major interests.

I feel the best location in SP is Jardins (Cerqueira César), around Avenida Paulista. It is not as expensive as many think. There are hotels below R$100/night/single or double (such as Formule Consolação, Ibis Paulista), mid-priced hotels (such as Caesar Business) and far more expensive hotels, of course.

A good on-line guide is www.guia4rodas.com.br. Click on Cidades (Cities) > São Paulo (State) > São Paulo (Capital) > Hotéis, and select “ordem alfabética” (alphabetically) or “classificação do Guia Brasil” (star rating). It will display over 200 hotels in the city. You get good descriptions, rates, websites, see on a map, etc.

A good hotel chain to check is www.accorhotels.com. They manage several hotels in the city, all price ranges, including self-contained apartments - perfect for longer stays, or if you prefer to have the “home-away-from-home” feel.

Longer-term: 1-month minimum

If you will stay for less than 1 year, renting through a regular realtor might not be convenient. Furnished apartments are more expensive that renting an empty apartment, and in Brazil, when you rent a flat, it does not come with appliances, such as the norm in other countries. Sometimes not even a light fixture. Also, most contracts are 1-year long, and if you terminate before you might be liable to a fine amounting, sometimes, to the whole contract term.

If you are looking for self-contained studio apartments, you might want to check, again, www.accorhotels.com, they manage several "Flat Service Hotels" in the city.

A local (and cheaper) company would be www.riema.com.br. They manage 6 FlatHotels in the city.
Price? For instance, their monthly rate for the Poeta Drummond Flat, almost in the heart of Jardins is approximately US$1,100, that including breakfast, taxes and local calls - less than US$40/day.

Do not forget that if you rent an apartment from a realtor, in addition to the rent per se, there will also be other charges (all embedded in FlatHotel rates): condominium maintenance, electricity, property tax and telephony. Not to mention you will probably need some furniturre/appliances. All in all, it may get more expensive - with much more trouble.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel, Seniors
  • Written June 15, 2006
Tip Photo

Avenida Paulista & Cerqueira C��sar (Jardins)

• popoze profile photo popoze
  • Reviews: 118

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Eduardo VII: City center Hotel

I just take a bed and breakfast, so i really don't know how the rest of the food is.
At that moment the accomodation was not so good , the hotel need to be renovated.

Good to go to the center of town.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written June 15, 2006
Tip Photo

• peace_prevails profile photo peace_prevails
  • Reviews: 64

Hotel Central: Good value hotel in São Paulo

A historically 'renovated hotel', this place is near all the action, and safe, at least during the day. Staff does not speak a lot of english, which I thought was good. Great price for SP accomodation.

Historical.