Krystal Hotel

Krystal Hotel Manaus
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Manaus

landing in the junglelanding in the jungle

Close up of Peacock bassClose up of Peacock bass

meatmeat

On the hookOn the hook

Two days in Manaus what to see?

by nv2hogs

we will be on a cruise ship that is docked for two days in Manaus in Dec. 2009. We arrive on the 18th, spend the night on board and take on new passengers on the 20th. So what can we do there besides the offered tours and how safe is it to do things on your own if you don't speak the language? We are middle aged but good on foot. I have checked most the member pages about Manaus but haven't found much info on trips other then the usual falls and meeting of the waters.

thanks

by YVRDave

The Opera House, Rio Negro folding into the Amazon and Piranha fishing was what I remember.

by cassiovieggore

If you don't speak portuguese/spanish it will difficult to you in finding the ways to reach the spots. And crooks/swindlers are expertised in finding divested people of self-defense. So be in a group in order to look out for aiding. Do not wear valuable clothes or tourist shirts. Put your camera and notebook on a wallet or pocket.
There are some interesting spots in Manaus. I will list them:
- Museu do Indio; Rua Duque de Caxias, 356 (Pç 14)- Indian handcrafts
- Artindia; Praça Tenreiro Aranha ; Indian handcrafts
- Museu de Ciencias Naturais da Amazonia
- Teatro Amazonas
- Bosque da Ciencia; Rua Otavio Cabral Aleixo
- Parque Ecologico do January
- Flight overview by helicopter
Tourism agencies in Manaus: Amazon Explorer's, Selvatur, Companhia de Aventuras,
Fontur.
Manaus is a special city in Brazil. There is free trade zone there. Every one may buy some products at some places like:
* Shopping Cecomiz
* Some downtown stores
There's some limits you may not go too far. 1) If the product is not made in Brazil you are quoted to not spend more than US$2000,00?. This is a supposed value since I am not in Manaus. You may inquire which is the quote today.
2) You may buy only 3 units, since you're not 14 years old yet.
I will note down some hints concerned in restaurants, bilingual guides and tourism:

Bilingual guides at: Viverde; Equipol; AmazoniaEcolazer; Cabral Expedictions.

www.embratur.com.br

Enjoy Brazil! Cassiovieggore

by NedHopkins

I agree with cassiovieggore's list of attractions.

I'd add that I've been to Manaus three times in the past decade, the first time when I was in my early 60s. I speak no Portuguese; but I had no trouble getting around -- by taxi, bus, and shank's mare (walking all over the downtown, "centro," area, including the port). I encountered no problem whatsoever.

by nv2hogs

thanks for the info. I have marked those places on my personal map and notebook. We will also be in Santarem and Boca Da Valeria. Is there anything we should see there?

Thanks

Travel Tips for Manaus

the Rivers

by pepples46

Manaus then a City on it's decent, but with a lot of charm,around 1500km up the Amazon and the last major City... now flourishing again and upgraded , I wish to visit again
there is a very good book on the market, if someone is interested: by JOE KANE
'Running the AMAZON
a first hand account of the only expedition ever to travel the entire 4200 miles Amazon river from the source high in the Andes, to its union with the Atlantic Ocean
I can recommend a very good read the Gateway to the Amazon Jungle and 6day river cruise was one exciting travel I'll never forget. the people, the animals and flora..such richness of life and joy, combined with making a living has been one heck of expirience!

Waterlilies

by pepples46

a little Baby could sit quite easily on the leafs without any problems..the stem is strong, connected to the water like an anker. VICTORIA REGINA, named after the english Queen Victoria, when I'm not mistaken. the area around Manaus is just awesome and so much to discover.as I always say, go Countryside, the Hinterland is actually the beautiful one

Jungle tips

by psquared

Small and waterproof very basics; t-shirts, shorts, bathing suit. A light poncho for the rain is good. depends on your trip, but basics for custs and scrapes is a safe bet. Bring all you batteries and film, not many stores in the jungle. Mosquito repellent, suntan lotion and batteries.

I cannot say enough about the...

by pjallittle

I cannot say enough about the gigantes lilypads which are found only in the still waters that the local tour guides know how to get you to in their canoes.

They are, to say the least, stupendous.

The Two Rivers

by Kaz354

One of the main attractions in Manaus is the boat tour to see the two different rivers emerging into one. One river is black and the other one is more or less cream colored. There are several boat tours that go there, ranging from a half day trip to a whole day trip. I took the whole day trip and it was very entertaining. You go on a large boat with about 50 people or so, and they take you to see the emerging rivers, then to a local village to do some souvenir shopping, then a trip into the deeper jungle with smaller boats, then a stop by a small hut to buy more souvenirs then a really nice meal before you head back. I was most entertained by the wild dolphins jumping around in the river throughout the entire day.

Comments