Manaus Hotels

Our Members Say

• Madasabull profile photo Madasabull
  • Reviews: 232

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tropical Manaus Ecoresort: An expensive, but lovely hotel.

I booked this hotel for 2 nights, because it was my intention to get out into the Amazon Rainforest for 3 weeks for my 40th birthday, and as I didn't have a clue as to what I was going to do or which directions I was going to head out in, I though it would be best to book into a nice hotel (given the super rate of exchange at that time), relax for a few days, and then make some sort of plan.

I was so please with this hotel, and my friend Jack who did the trip with me, was just as happy. We were told loads of stars had stayed there, and given that this was the only 5 star hotel here at that time, I could believe that this is were they would stay.

The room was lovely, with beautiful hardwood everywhere you looked, the food for breakfast was great, and the hotel was huge, with a mini zoo with jaguar and monkeys, backing onto the rainforest, and right on the Rio Negro.

It was easy to get into the city, and there was a lovely walk along the river with bars and shops. There was even a great beach where hundreds of people were swimming (Piranha and Croc) in the water like it was the seaside.

Seriously, if you want luxury before heading out into the jungle, and especially when you return FROM the Jungle, then this is the hotel. But it is really expensive. At the time of writing this, it was 170 US an night.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Adventure Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel
  • Written February 10, 2014
Tip Photo

• swesn profile photo swesn
  • Reviews: 1221

HOTEL 10 De JULHO: MANAUS

Pros:
- Located rather central along Rua 10 de Julho, a stone's throw from the Amazonas Opera House
- Near to many tour agencies and within walking distance to other shopping districts
- Near to Av. Getulio Vargas where you can take a bus to Amazonas Shopping Centre

Cons:
- Rumbling air-conditioner but still an air-conditioner that you are MIGHTY GRATEFUL FOR

Room : 45 Reais (2005)

• Written February 18, 2007

• NedHopkins profile photo NedHopkins
  • Reviews: 428

Mango Guest House: A really nice place

Adding to my previous review of Mango Guest House and Tropical Manaus, see

www.naturesafaris.com.br/gateway.php

Excellent restaurant. (Pirarucu, done several ways, is outstanding.)

Decent pool.

Comfortable and large if somewhat sterile rooms.

Works in concert with river tour and eco lodge operators (pick up and drop off with baggage storage).

Within walking distance of Shopping Amazonas, Manaus's best emporium.

• Related to: Seniors, Eco-Tourism
  • Written January 22, 2007

Mango Guest House

• Stephy80 profile photo Stephy80
  • Reviews: 2

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Dez (10) de Julho: DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL - ORGANISED STAFF THEFT

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

My girlfriend and I were ROBBED on 11 September 2006 of US$450 in Brazilian / US currency from locked bags in our locked hotel room while we were out for only 90 minutes. The hotel staff were unidisputedly involved at several levels including possibly high ranking staff and deliberately stalled and obstructed our attempts to question the incident and report the matter to police. They subsequently held our bags for ransom when we refused to pay the hotel bill.

This hotel is attached to two very reputable jungle tour agencies (Iguana Tours and Gero Tours) and it draws a lot of business through this association. Many guidebooks list these tour agencies and the hotel as well.

If you value your belongings DO NOT under any circumstances take the risk to stay here. There are several other similarly priced hotels in Manaus and we only chose this one because of the Lonely Planet recommendation and its proximity to the good jungle agencies. This was a big mistake and it needs to be prevented from happening to other travellers.

If you have experienced anything similar to this please take some action and write to the guidebooks - they nearly all have online contact forms.

www.lonelyplanet.com
www.footprintbooks.com
www.fodors.com
www.frommers.com
www.letsgo.com
www.roughguides.com

We have reported the matter to police and sent letters to all the guidebooks above. It is important that such incidents in hotels, especially those that get a lot of business from guidebook recommendations, be stopped.

Here are excerpts from the letter we sent to various guidebooks:

...My girlfriend and I had R$500 and US$160 stolen from two locked backpacks in our hotel room by, without question, staff at the hotel.

On 11 September 2006, we left the hotel...between 9:15am and 10:45am. When we came back we found someone had clearly been in the room because the air conditioner had been switched off...and my girlfriend´s small backpack had shifted...there was no evidence of any forced entry...we checked through the bags and discovered that R$500 and US $60 had been removed from a money belt locked inside my girlfriend´s backpack, and US$100 was missing...from my small locked backpack.

(regarding filling out a web report of the theft for the police)

...At this point Sergio (the only English speaking...hotel staff member) left the scene again and a very young desk staff member (male around age 20) who had had nothing to do with any of our discussions up to this point started to fill out the website form. An Iguana Turismo staff member started reading what the youth was typing in Portguese and informed us he was indicating that we did not find the hotel at all responsible and that we were withdrawing our accusation of theft!!!!! This was a deliberate and blatant attempt to sabotage our well founded accusations

...the hotel staff refused to give us access to our large backpacks unless we paid the hotel bill... needing to leave and with our bags being held for ransom we were forced to pay for the room

The theft was fairly cleverly done, involving picking the locks of our two bags, searching through and removing disposable (and useful) currency which could not be traced and then closing and locking the bags up again, no doubt hoping we would not notice until it was too late... the nature of the crime over a fairly short time period on the day of our departure demonstrates a well co-ordinated theft likely involving more than one person.

This was a significant theft undisputedly performed by staff at the hotel...

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Study Abroad
  • Written September 12, 2006

• bsfreeloader profile photo bsfreeloader
  • Reviews: 656

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Amazonat Jungle Lodge: A Jungle Hideaway

I took a six day trip into the jungle, staying at the Amazonat Lodge. Owned by a Brazilian/Dutch couple, the lodge is located a couple hours from Manaus and perhaps forty-five minutes from the Amazon River. The lodge consists of nine chalets and encompasses 3200 acres of primary forest interlaced by small creeks connected to the Urubú River, a tributary of the Amazon river which flows behind the property. As an added bonus, the acidity of the water in this region inhibits the proliferation of viruses and mosquitoes. Packages vary, but typically include jungle walks and boat trips on the Amazon and Urubu Rivers. The food and service is excellent, and the guides are extremely knowledgable.

The flora and fauna of the Amazon rain forest is the obvious highlight of any trip into this region. Expect to see and hear many birds and other critters, such as caiman, sloth, toad, tarantula, and snakes.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written July 19, 2006

Caiman

• melosh profile photo melosh
  • Reviews: 395

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Long distance river boats: Desperate to save money, sleep in the boat

Often you can sleep in the boat in your hammock the night before departure and the night of arrival. When I arrived in the morning in Santarem from Manaus, I was even told I could sleep that night in the boat because it would not be leaving until the next afternoon. The very nice lady in charge assured me that my things would be safely locked away.

If it was hot and humid with no breeze, this would be a pretty miserable night.

• Written July 3, 2006

• melosh profile photo melosh
  • Reviews: 395

Various: Bottom bunk, Manaus

There is a large collection of cheap, poor quality hotels and pensions in the area a few blocks up from the river and the produce market. I did not find the Lonely Planet recommendations useful either because the places they mentioned had deteriorated or raised their prices, or both. I checked over half a dozen rooms in as many hotels before I found something satisfactory for me, and even this room was not without its defects. I chose the Europa because of the friendly people, the street lighting and clean light lobby area.
I can only recommend that if you are looking for someplace cheap, be sure to check the rooms and evaluate the location before you commit to a long stay.

Admittedly I generally frequent the more economic of hotels and pensions in the travel world, but I do have my standards. I tend to check a bunch of rooms before I chose where to stay, but even this does not always work. On my recent trip to the Amazon I started a list of a few of my indicators that it may be time to move on:
1. There is a sign in the window that losely translated says there is a special promotion of 2 hours for the price of one.
2. There are small blood stains on the wall marking the death of mosquitoes since the last time the wall was cleaned or painted.
3. The trash bucket in the bathroom has a plastic liner and it is half full with water. (Look for the ceiling leak.)
4. The very quiet street and restaurant in front of your room window suddenly starts hopping at 11pm.
5. There is a bad smell you notice when you first enter.
6. The parking lot that was full at 11pm is empty at 6 AM.

The Europa, passed these indicators at the time of my visit.

• Written June 23, 2006

• brazilnut30 profile photo brazilnut30
  • Reviews: 71

Hotel Brasil

This hotel is located on Getulio Vargas and is very central to everything. The Operah House is right behind you or excellent food places all around you! You are a twentyminute walk from the port from there...

it is comfortable and great hospitality is shown!

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Arts and Culture, Singles
  • Written May 23, 2006
Tip Photo

• jbeaumont profile photo jbeaumont
  • Reviews: 1

Acajatuba Lodge: Amazon Experience

The Acajatuba Lodge is an excellent way to experience the Amazon Jungle if you do not have much time. (4-5 days). The rustic lodge is very comfortable, set right on the Rio Nego about 3-4 by boat from Manaus. The people and guides that were there were wonderful and my wife and I felt right at home. The food was good, not a lot of variety... but fresh, and good tasting. The tours and guides they provide were an incredible experience. This far up the river you get to see lots of different wildlife.... we saw all types Monkeys, Birds, Spiders, Snakes, Fresh Water Dolphins, Caymens, Piranha Fishing! 2 guided tours everyday... (1 in the morning / 1 in the afternoon). We will definitely be going back and staying here again. The Hotel is small enough and intimate enough to get to know all the guest and staff. Extremely Friendly! and well recommended lodge!

A great way to experience the Amanzon in just a few days time... Right on the River edge and lays into the Jungle.

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written August 2, 2005

• psquared profile photo psquared
  • Reviews: 28

Amazon Lodge: Great jungle hangout

This is a great place to see the Amazon from. The location is far away from everything and gives you a good opportunity to get into the jungle, without spending 2 weeks or having to trek on your own. All food is provided as part of the cost and is some of the best food I have had in Brazil (I've been here for 10 months). The accomodations are very simple, but clean and comfortable. The entire lodge is floating on the river.

Besides the great location, the personal attention is great. The lodge only handles about 30 people, and the guides are excellent. I never had more than 6 people on our tours.

• Related to: Safari, Photography, Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written May 10, 2003

• Andreas_Fran profile photo Andreas_Fran
  • Reviews: 78

Jungle lodges: Tour Guide in Amazonas 2

If you are looking for lodge, try "Acajatuba Jungle Lodge". Reservations can be made through Anaconda Tourismo

it's about 5 hours from Manaus. Take the 4 days package "JAGUATIRICA"

• Written October 2, 2002

• Andreas_Fran profile photo Andreas_Fran
  • Reviews: 78

Rotha Viagens Turismo: Tour Guide in Amazonas

The trips organized in regional ships can last from 1 to 7 days, or expeditions for organized groups with duration of 8 or more days.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written October 2, 2002

deep in the forest

• janaina profile photo janaina
  • Reviews: 794

BILL GATES SUITE

Many jungle resorts had been built in the Amazon jungle area these last years,the fact you can experience the stay in the real habitat of all flora & fauna & animals,listen to the jungle sounds at night(can be scaring),and enjoy the comfort of a hotel,bring the tourist to this option,and this new tourist industry are growing every year.
One of the famous guests in one of these hotels was Bill Gates,think the first famous one,than his suite,till today,are very expensive to reserve..
Here's a picture of his famous suite.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written September 9, 2002

• AndreasK profile photo AndreasK
  • Reviews: 924

Amazonat Jungle Resort is...

Amazonat Jungle Resort is located near Manaus and provides an ecologically friendly, tropical naturalist vacation destination resort on the Urubu river. The various land and river excursions offered by the Resort make for a great vacation. With eco-tourism, locals can earn a living while still keeping nature intact.

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written September 7, 2002
Tip Photo

• catarata profile photo catarata
  • Reviews: 92

ACAJATUBA JUNGLE LODGE , very...

ACAJATUBA JUNGLE LODGE , very good place and good guides, in an (enough) isolated place . Five hours far from Manaus, by ship.
5 days package, activities, meals and transport to Manaus included, costed us about $450 each.

Very good infrastructure. Wood huts with bathroom and shower (no hot water, and no need of it).
Very good meals though not very varied. Try Pirarucú (very tasteful fish, tipical from Amazonia)and of course the traditional Piranha. Real good. (But don´t make any trick: you have to fish it for yourself Eh?)

• Written August 24, 2002