Henrique Gurjao 236, Belem, State of Para, 66053-360, Brazil

Booking.com Priceline.com

• sanguin's Profile Photo

French Flair in Belém's Center

I never stayed in any hotel in Belém as I live here, but we have put lots of visitors up at the Masilia and I'm sure they weren't just polite. They really liked it.
    It's a nice, simple, quiet place in the very center of Belém, although without the noise of the Presidente Vargas main street.

Unique Quality: Pool

Directions: close (2 minutes) to the Praza da Republica, about 15 minutes walk to Ver-o-Peso

More about Belém

Huts along the Amazon RiverHuts along the Amazon River

TacacáTacacá

My brother-in-law with macawsMy brother-in-law with macaws

Belém from the other sideBelém from the other side

Help

by Firebabe

Hola. I am going to Rio in December and want to spend a week in the Amazon but dont know whether to do Manaus to Belem or Belem to Manaus and need to get back to Rio again. Has anyone ever done this before.

Re: Help

by oldmonk_92129

Manaus is a nice place.
I have a few pics on my home page.
Check the page that OrlandoBR has too.

Re: Re: Help

by robine

Hi, Mary!

If you're going to travel between Manaus and Belem it would obviously make sense to sail downriver, ie M to B. But be aware that it's a very long way! Instead, it might make sense to go to one of the "jungle lodges" around Manaus. Or, if you're determined to make a long river trip, disembark in Santarem (which has an airport).

Bon voyage!

RE: RE: Help

by Moloney

I agree with Robin. It takes about 3 days by boat from Manaus to Santarem (that's halfway to Belem) And from Santarem, boats go on to Belem only on certain days, which could mean an extended (and unplanned) stay in Santarem.
Or you could just do like me and fly on to Belem. With Rico airlines it's only about a hundred dollars or so.

Travel Tips for Belém

I rather doubt that anyone...

by pjallittle

I rather doubt that anyone has followed us along on our voyage around all of South America and the many stops which we made. On VT, that would be a daunting task indeed.

We began this trip in February of 1998, just a month after having beein in CHINA where we began in the city of BEIJING and ended after a month of traipsing around all over the best of CHINA whereupon we took a two week cruise from HONG KONG ending up in SINGAPOREWe then spent another month covering ~ MALAYSIA & THAILAND ~ before returning to our home.

BELEM was not a big ticket item for either of us as we, along with most on the ship, were all anticipating one of the principal reasons that many of us had in common, THE AMAZON RIVER and had been talking to one another about it for weeks.
No offense intended to residents of this city, but it just was not high on the agenda for reasons explained. The city is, after all, the economic center of the STATE OF PARA as well, it is the Capital City. It has a very rich and important history.

Maniçoba

by luwan

Maniçoba is one of the several paraense cookery dishes, from indiginous origin. It is made with mince stew "maniva" leaves for about 1 week (in order to take out the Hydrogen cyanide - HCN, beacuse it is poisonous) and after added pork, meat and other salty smoked ingredients.

More photos in October, by my next Belém trip. Awaits.

Packing List

by cacau_99

Maybe our food can affect your stomach so please take with you some medicine to diarrhea and vomit, maily if you are not accustumed with boats trips...You may need to take some boats because our transportation is mainly by boats to the coutry side.

I Didn't Ask the Meaning of This

by NedHopkins

Hundreds of boats ferry passengers from Belem to some of the 50 islands in the Bay of Guajara or to other spots on the mainland.

This one is named for Saddam Hussein. Why I don't know; but there is a sizeable Muslim population in the Belem area. It includes descendants of slaves who'd adopted Islam before they were brought to the New World.

Don't Miss the Pirarucu

by NedHopkins about La Em Casa

This is a really good outdoors restaurant. The service is first-rate as is the food.

(There is a branch of La Em Casa, offering a buffet, in the Estacao das Docas, the beautifully renovated wharf area that features many restaurants and chic shops.) Grilled pirarucu -- the largest freshwater fish in the world. A member of the catfish family, it can grow to more than five meters, or 16 feet, and weigh as much as 600 pounds.

(Don't let the picture turn you off -- anymore than a picture of a slaughterhouse would turn you against a Big Mac. Pirarucu is delicious -- though piranha, being a thoroughgoing carnivore, is the tastiest Amazon fish I've eaten.)

Comments