Belém Hotels

• DanBraAu profile photo DanBraAu
  • Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Grao Para: Just Right for sleep, breakfast and sightseeing

Good clean room, comfortable bed, Air Cond somewhat noisy but can be turned off.

Good water pressure in shower, free cable internet, nice breakfast, friendly staff, in walking distance to Mercado Ver O Peso and Estacao das Docas. Very reasonably priced.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel
  • Written August 6, 2011

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Palacio: Simple Accommodation and Very Friendly Staff

My favourite overnight accommodations in Brazil are pousadas (inns or family-run places). To my great disappointment there aren't any in Belem.

In the central area of the city there are several simple and cheap hotels. Unfortuantely most of them are not very nice and those expensive ones I could not afford. I was quite lucky to came across hotel Palacio. It is located in Comercio district, close to the waterfront, the main street Av. Presidente Vargas and in a walking distance to Cidade Velha (the oldest part of Belem).

Rooms are large, with a high ceiling and with fan, some come with a shower cabin, some without. Breakfast is not included in the price.

From Belem I made several trips (a couple of days long) and kept coming back to hotel Palacio for one night. A room was always reserved for me :)

During my absence a really friendly and helpful manager Aimery took care for my big bag, including all the documents, air ticket and the money. He put everything in a special room that only he had a key. And he even gave me his mobile number in case I would come in trouble or need any kind of help. Such a nice guy indeed!! And also other hotel staff was very helpful!

At the first moment I did not like the place that much but soon I started to feel at home :))

• Written February 25, 2007

view from my room

• swesn profile photo swesn
  • Reviews: 1221

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HOTEL FORTALEZA: BELEM

Pros:
- The cheapest hostel in town
- Very central
- Able to organise the Amazon boat trips from the hostess

Cons:
- The most horrible hostel I have ever stayed in in South America, I found the hostess to be somewhat curt, snobbish and unfriendly but then again, it could just be me.
- Very run-down, with wonky stairs, huge ceilings, doors that cannot be closed properly, disgusting toilets and long, dark corridors
- Kitchen for tourists is located downstairs... very eerie... and with NO FACILITIES at all, a couple of disgusting pots, no proper chopping board, no lighters to light up the cooker, no washing detergent and 7- or 8-inches rats
- Lizards and cockroaches are your fellow roommates in the room, so keep your bag locked up in order not to find any unsavoury stowaways later
- Bed is as hard as rock
- Lots of mosquitoes and yet, you sweat to death if you sleep under the blanket

Dorms : 8 Reais (2005)

• Written February 18, 2007

• eglynn1 profile photo eglynn1
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Grao Para: Hotel Grao Para = inexpensive perfection

This hotel was paradise. Large, fluffy beds, cable television, helpful and gracious staff, air conditioning, and hot showers with water pressure strong enough to wash out all Amazonian dirt, sweat, and stress. Great for all types of travel: business, family, and backpacking. Large breakfast is included, (with scrambled eggs!). All for $30-$40 USD/ a night. Worth every penny.

No pool. Ask for a room facing the park; rooms on the interior are fairly dark.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Jungle and Rain Forest, Budget Travel
  • Written June 26, 2006

• eglynn1 profile photo eglynn1
  • Reviews: 2

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Central, Ave. P. Vargas: Hotel Central

"Hotel Central," I was told by Mauricio, grandson of the former owner of this centrally-located 'hotel,' "is the worst hotel in Belem." "Hotel Central," he corrected himself, " is the worst hotel in Brazil." Mauricio, the smart, friendly father of young two daughters, was not exaggerating. I spent five nights at this "hotel" and am proud to be sitting here, telling others to STAY AWAY. The place is HORRIBLE. Unsanitary, unprofessional, creepy, hot, and not safe. Walk, no, RUN (as I did, in the middle of the night) two blocks closer to the Praça de Republica and stay at Hotel Grao Para. Do yourself a favor.

Dirt, filth, no ammenities, constant feeling that a serial killer was going to pop out from one of the empty, abandoned, broken-down rooms.

Proof that "you get what you pay for" !

• Related to: Budget Travel, Study Abroad, Backpacking
  • Written June 26, 2006

• LuisGuimaraes profile photo LuisGuimaraes
  • Reviews: 23

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Fortaleza: Bed and sheets

I'm probably not telling you anything very new, as this hostel was recommended in the Lonely Planet guide.

It's a cheap place to stay, with a friendly (though tough and masculine) female owner, and an apparently nice backpacker community.

It wasn't the cleanest place though, but I was so sick and the weather so dry and hot, that I could hardly have had a very positive impression of the place.

Anyway, the overall impression was.."I better don't touch this, who knows who was here before"

See what I mean?

Beds are alright, no idea about how good the location is (I had really high fever), but if you wan't an advice: look for something else.

• Written March 28, 2006

Hotel Fortaleza's street

• johnkebab profile photo johnkebab
  • Reviews: 113

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Grao Para: Best budget hotel in Belem

On arrival at Belem we needed to find a hotel and we stayed in a different hotel every night of our stay.... until we got to this hotel.

Having stayed at some hotels we had found in a lonely planet guide book, we thought we'd go for a wonder and see what we could see, some of the hotels we had stayed in weren't that good but, you get what you pay for. So we wondered up the road, found the Hilton, which was far too expensive for us, about 300m down the road from the Hilton we found the Grao Para, which was exactly the same, the staff at reception were super friendly, the rooms were great and modern with satellite TV, we had a great view over Belem (we were on the 10th floor) and best of all it was cheap, we'd paid more to stay in flee pits!!

Next time I go back, sure I'll be checking out more hotels if I can find any that warrant it, but I'll be spending most of my time here.

Clean, Professional, excellent breakfast, excellent rooms, excellent service, great price

• Related to: Business Travel, Jungle and Rain Forest, Arts and Culture
  • Written February 22, 2006

• sahori profile photo sahori
  • Reviews: 5

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Amazonia Hostel: A place to stay in Belem

A nice, clean and very well located place to stay.
But I don't recomend it for those who have problems with small bathrooms.

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip
  • Written January 21, 2006

• cacau_99 profile photo cacau_99
  • Reviews: 24

There are lots of small...

There are lots of small hotels( with good prices) nearby the Bus station (rodoviária) so you can stay there, it is central and from there you can easily go to the Bus station to go out of Belém to the countryside.

• Written September 12, 2002

• cacau_99 profile photo cacau_99
  • Reviews: 24

There are lots of small...

• Written September 8, 2002

• pjallittle profile photo pjallittle
  • Reviews: 629

Our accommodations were on...

Our accommodations were on the ship and VT is now providing this information. But for another link, see the following:

GUIDE TO HOTELS[OPEN]