Bourbon Curitiba Convention Hotel

Ucranian MemorialUcranian Memorial

Indian Cuisine in CuritibaIndian Cuisine in Curitiba

What to do

by nyl

I will be visiting Curitiba with my sister for a week in the beginning of December. She will be working during the days, so I am looking for things to do around Curitiba...day trips and things in and around Curitiba.

RE: What to do

by VdV

Ah--I was in the same situation. My travelmate had to do work during the day for the whole 3 weeks I was there, so I know exactly how you must feel. Where to go, what to do, etc.

Check out my Curitiba page for a few tips. I found the Linha Turisto (the tourist bus) was a good way to see alot things within the city. You can stop off at any one of about two dozen spots and explore them. I would suggest going on it for at least 2 days out of your trip. Easy way to get around and cheap, too.

As VT member LBiscaia will tell you, many people recommend at least an overnight stay at Ilha do Mel (Honey Island) which I did have have a chance to visit, but hear it's a great place to chill out. Do the train ride to Morretes/Paranagua; take a bus out to Vila Velha. I hope you have time to go to Iguazcu Falls (I have yet to be there, but have heard it's one of the most beautiful sights to behold.) Ask around and see if there are any live cultural events at Teatro Guaira, the Opera House or the HSBC theatre on Rua das Flores. There are a few other VTers who have posted good tips on nightlife.

Curitiba has some really great restaurants. I found a great little coffeehouse on Rua Carlos de Carvalho near Rua Visconde de Nacar (maybe one block before R. Visc. de Nacar.) I would go there after riding the tourist bus, and have some tea, write postcards, read, etc. The woman who owned the place didn't speak much English and I didn't know much past the basic "hello, how are you?" phrases, but we managed to communicate. She let me play the piano in her shop, and it was really relaxing. I guess that's what I enjoyed about my time there. Some days it was just nice to walk around, soak it all in, and just relax. I'm sure you'll find your own favorite escapes there.

I'll be there in late November, so I will miss you by about a week or so. I hope you enjoy your visit there. I really enjoyed mine last year, and am headed back around Thankgsiving to visit the friends that I made there. Hope you take pictures and share them with us here on VT when you get back!

Travel Tips for Curitiba

Enjoy the nice quality of life but learn Portugese

by VdV

I absolutely loved my trip to Curitiba, and made a few lifetime friends while there. It seems like a nice place to live, and there are many interesting places to see if you're visiting.

I definitely would recommend taking the Linha Turismo bus, and get off and see some of the parks that pay tribute to the various immigrant populations (Ukranian, German, Italian, Polish, Arab, Japanese, etc.) Also, you'll notice that metal tube and glass structures are very characteristic of modern-day Curitiba landmarks, from the lovely Opera house to the bus stop tube stations.

If you have time, you will find your own special places in Curitiba, like I did.

Enjoy! I will always remember the nice friends I made. Also, how nice and helpful people were, even though I spoke no Portugese when I first arrived.

My fondest memories are actually those moments when, at the time they were happening, were incredibly frustrating, which were instances where I was challenged by learning to communicate with my Lonely Planet phrasebook and Curitibanos who were trying their best to help me, but did not speak English. going to the corner lavanderia, ordering food, trying to buy bus tickets, trying to purchase a book at the bookstore--every daily act was a true mental and linguistic challenge for monolingual me--most Curitibanos do not speak English (nor should they be expected to)--so it was truly up to me to learn the language in order to get along. The ultimate frustration-turned-into-fond-memory was one evening when I decided to see a modern interpretation of Mozart-Salieri opera music at the Teatro Guaira. Besides being a beautiful venue (and the walk down Rua das Flores in early evening to get there was equally beautiful), the show was terrific. However, it seemed quite comical that I was sitting in this theatre, listening to songs in Italian/German, with words being projected on a screen in Portugese...I was truly "Lost in Translation!"

I ended up learning a few phrases; I hope during my next visit, I will have mastered at least enough to get around without looking so lost all the time!

Passeio Público

by ahoerner

Passeio Público is the most central and the first park in Curitiba. Built in 1886 it has around 70 thousand square meters (m²) of natural forest on the banks of Belém river. At that time, the park was lighted using fish-oil lamps.

In the 19th century, it became for some time the Bothanical Garden of Curitiba. It was also the first zoo in town and even nowadays visitors still can see some captive animals and a aquarium.

For modern architecture fans- Museu Oscar Niemeyer

by VdV

If you are a fan of modern architecture, you must visit the Museu Oscar Niemeyer. Niemeyer was one of the principal architects of Brasilia's famed modern buildings, and internationally acclaimed in his field.

When I visited, there were several exhibits, including paintings and drawings by Vitor Meirelles, lithographs by Lasar Segall, and wonderful nature photographs in the Floresta Atlantica section.

The "eye" portion of the museum (see VT member LBisacaia's Curitiba page for a picture of "the eye"), where Niemeyer's works are archived in a study center, was closed to the public the day that I visited. Most of the current exhibits are displayed in a flat, open building behind "the eye."

The museum is located within a semi-commercial, but mainly residential area on three sides, and a large park area on the fourth side. There are outdoor sculptures on the grounds. Be careful when walking on the "platform" of the main exhibit building; there are no guard rails, and if you are not careful (children should not be allowed to run), it could be easy to fall off the concrete platform.

Worth a few hours visit, and certainly "the eye" is a great photo opportunity.

ILHA DO MEL (Honey Island)

by Julie_B

Actually, this isn't Curitiba's page. As there is no location for Ilha do Mel, WELCOME TO MY ILHA DO MEL'S PAGE!
The Ilha do Mel is situated at the littoral of the state of Paraná.
You get there taking a boat at Pontal do Sul, the trip takes about 30 - 40 minutes.

Comments