Holiday Inn Express Curitiba - Batel

Estacion Plaza ShoppingEstacion Plaza Shopping

Moving to Curitiba

by meldia7

Hello Everyone!

I am very excited to be joining my husband in Curitiba in December!

I am looking for opportunities involving ecology/plant science/conservation biology/Portuguese language immersion/English speaking friends.

I'm not necessarily looking for work right away, as I will have to work on my visa (husband is Brazilian and I am American, not sure how long visa process will take).

I am however, looking for opportunities within the city that would include: volunteer opportunities in nature parks, native plant studies, environmental clean up efforts, etc...

Additionally, any info anyone could provide on intensive Portuguese language courses would be greatly appreciated!

I'm also looking for English Speaking friends while I get my bearings!!!
Anyone interested in giving me advice on how to get to know the city please let me know! I studied in Curitiba in 2005 for several months so I am somewhat familiar with it, but I will have days to fill and lots of energy so am looking for productive ways to spend time during the day in the city.

Thank you..look forward to hearing from you!!!

by Donna_in_India

Hi - the expats will be a great source of information and friendship. They'll know about volunteer opps, jobs, visas, etc. Just google "Curitiba expats" and you should find local expats groups. Good luck!

by meldia7

Thank you both for your advice!
It will prove to be very helpful as I navigate my way around the city!
I will look into the websites you have provided!

One more question..if anyone has advice on whether I should become certified to teach english with the TEFL certification or not? Do you know if this will be required in order to teach at the schools there? Should I get the certification prior to moving or not?

Thank you!

by robine

You must obtain your Permanent Residence visa before departure. Not a problem, since you're married to a Brazilian, tho' it'll cost you a buck or two. Your ID card will take some 6-8 months after registration (after arrival) to come through. Brazil is wonderful, but be prepared for the most appalling bureaucracy!

by Backo

Hi!

I will probably visit my friend who had lived there two times for more than six months each time and she will be living in Curitiba startign from December, so maybe we all could meet there for a coffe :)

Vasko

Travel Tips for Curitiba

Local customs - Cleaning!

by peace_prevails

Look up the definition of 'obsessive compulsive cleaning disorder ' in the DSM-IV and you will most likely see a photo of Curitiba. Lucky for you, these people go nuts on cleaning the city. You see the orange uniformed cleaning people all over the city - one of the cleanest cities in the world - and not that Paris Hilton clean like Hollywood or Dallas - this is a real city living clean. The guys in the picture are actually holding a NET to keep the grass being cut off of the street and cars while they drive by!

Where to find good Asian food

by VdV about Yu's Cozinha Oriental

Coming from Los Angeles, California, I was craving good Asian food during my visit to Curitiba. There is a large Japanese population in Brazil in general, and Chinese, too. There is also a growing Korean population.

In Curitiba, most food choices were Italian, German, Brasilian and Japanese. By the end of the first week there, I was really craving good Korean, Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese food.

While I did not find Thai or Vietnamese food, I was given a recommendation to Yu's Cozinha, in the Centro District, off Praca Osorio. (Thanks to Lillian Kim at ICI!) It was very popular with downtown workers. The decor is modern, and there is a ground level and loft level seating areas (because of its popularity!)

When you enter, you will be handed a ticket. Proceed to the buffet line; the menu items are written daily on the chalkboard. If there is an item (or particular type of sushi) that you do not see, just ask the chefs--they are good-natured and may make it for you.

After piling your plate high with delicious food, proceed to the scale; there, the staff will weigh your food (give them your ticket so they can note your number), and ask if you want (complimentary) miso/mushroom soup.

A waiter will approach you after you sit down, and take your beverage order (show him your ticket, too.) After you are finished eating, visit the host at the cash register, pay, and they will give you a receipt and your ticket back. Give your ticket to the door person on your way out. (Sounds complicated, but it isn't--and the staff is very helpful if you have a "lost" expression on your face like I did!)

I also heard that Asian groceries are in abundance at the public market, close to the bus station area. Finally, my friends and I did also find a good Indian restaurant (the only one in Curitiba.) When I recall the name, I will post it here--the food was very good. Yu's Cozinha is a por-kilo, buffet-style restaurant, with primarily Japanese, Chinese and Korean food. Sushi, noodles, vegetables, soup and lots of entrees are found here. My favorites were the Korean pancakes, sushi, vegetables and pickles, and both the Japanese (yakisoba) and Korean (japchae) noodles.

The price is very reasonable, as you only pay for what you get; it is measure by the kilo. I spent an average of $6-$9 USD when I would go, which included a beverage and soup.

Highly recommend! Click on below to check out their website--you'll see that the restaurant is a wonderful setting and the food looks (and tastes) delicious!

p.s. I think it is only open during lunch hours (11:00am - 3:00pm.)

Growing Capital with Many Parks

by marakaki

"Curitiba is Growing Fast"

This is a Growing City, its Almost Ten times Smaller Than São Paulo but Everytime I Go There I See Its Services are Becoming Better and the Leisure Industry has been Expanding.

When in Curitiba I feel like Home Because I have Best Friends There Who Already Has Lived in São Paulo. Speaking About Then, Visit ahoerner´s page, Who Always takes me to a Tour in Curitiba ;-).

Comments