Hotel Tibagi

Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

• VdV's Profile Photo

Good value and location

I recommend Hotel Tibagi for those travelers who do not like big, chain hotels, but are looking for a good, basic, clean hotel with friendly staff. I stayed at the Tibagi for three weeks in January 2004. Although I did not speak much (o.k., I didn't know ANY Portugese when I first arrived... ), the staff was always friendly and helpful. They helped me learn some Portugese during my three weeks visiting in Curitiba!

Update from Nov. 2005 visit: Stayed at the Tibagi again, this time with my Mom. She liked it because of its central location downtown, although I have to say that the immediate area seemed to be in a bit of decline since my visit the prior year. It was also a bit noisy at night because of a nightclub about one block away. Also, there was a lot of "moto" noise--those annoying motor scooters that seem to be so popular in many central cities around the world--efficient transportation I guess, but noisy as hell, especially at 2:00 a.m.! But, like before, the staff was very nice to us, and this time the hotel had installed a computer terminal in the lobby for guest use (my Mom spent more time on the computer than me!)

I forgot to mention the first time around that breakfast is included in the room rate, and it is a pretty good breakfast. Mainly fruit, breads, cheese, sometimes ham or other sliced meat, fresh juices, cakes and of course the delicious pao de queijo (my personal favorite.) It's a good place to be able to meet other guests in the hotel as well.

Curious to hear from others who have stayed there since my last visit. I just checked the website and the rates still appear to be very reasonable. Again, I liked it for its central location--close to Rua das Flores, the Linha Turismo, the Swiss Confeteria, Rua 24 Horas, and my favorite, Yu's Cozinha! :)

Unique Quality: The location was perfect for first-time visitors to Curitiba. Praca Osorio is around the corner, where one of my favorite restaurants - Yu's Cozinho-- was located, and from there, the Rua das Flores pedestrian mall is a few steps away. The Rua 24 Horas was just 2-3 blocks away as well, in case you have a yearning to eat, have a drink, buy a magazine, use the Internet, or get a manicure any time of the day or night! It was also just a few blocks from Praca Tiradentes where the Linha Turismo and other buses depart. During the day, the area is buzzing with downtown workers, shoppers. At night, it gets a little quieter, but there is a coffeehouse that is open late just across the street.

Directions: Centro district (downtown)--close to Praca Osorio, Praca Tiradentes, Rua 24 Horas, Rua Das Flores (pedestrian mall.)

Comments