Pousada Guarana Hotel

Rua 5, no. 13, Portal de Parati, Paraty, State of Rio de Janeiro, 23970-000, Brazil
HostelBookers.com

More about Pousada Guarana Hotel

We love Pousada Guarana!

by TripAdvisor Member YellowDaffodil

My husband and I just returned from 11 days in Brazil (RIo, Parati and Iguassu falls).
We spent 3 nights at Pousada Guarana and just loved it. David and Jimena are ideal hosts: friendly, caring, generous with their knowledge of the area... yet discreet. We felt like they were old friends...
Breakfast was delicious, served by the pool. This is also where we wrote in our journal, read in hamacs, pet the dogs,...and almost always ended in the water... (We were also day dreaming of growing the lovely blooms that surrounded us... in our harsher climate!)

The rooms are big and simply decorated. Mostly white with a few touch of colors (bed cover, Chinese lantern, hanging paper umbrella, sconces).

While the Pousada is not in the center of town, the fact that you can borrow bikes makes it easy to come and go. (A backpack is a must for bringing the few items you will need at the beach or to bring back any of the lovely souvenirs you might find in town!).

(Do follow the recomendations for restaurants that you will most likely be given. We did and every place we tried was more delicious than the other).

We already have "saudade" of this Pousada and can't wait to return.

The Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member rgarber

I made reservations with Pousada Guarana easily through email with David and was originally planning to stay for four nights. I stayed for three weeks the whole time at the Pousada Guarana. Through all my travels the hospitality I received at Pousada Guarana was unmatched. The location of the pousada is a quick and safe15 minute walk into the center, or even quicker with the bikes provided at the pousada. The breakfasts are amazing and the atmosphere of the pousada is very relaxing with great places to relax with a book, take a nap or go for a swim. The staff is very helpful and always friendly. As for David and Jimena I can’t say enough about them. The way they operate the Pousada Guarana and treat their guests makes time spent in Paraty wonderful and their knowledge of the area can provide you with many great activities. I will be back there many times.

Excellent Pousada!

by TripAdvisor Member chrisinlondon2

There are a lot of Pousadas in Paraty and so it can be hard to judge which are of good quality and value before you go. Be rest assured that Pousada Guarana is an excellent choice. A lot of thought has gone into the architecture and design. The rooms are very clean and spacious with high ceilings.

We particularly liked the beautiful antique Spanish door in the courtyard (ask David and Jimena about it). David and Jimena and their staff are helpful and informative, and very generous with their time in answering questions or organizing excursions. The Pousada is not located in the historical centre which suffers a little due to the influx of tourists, so the location is quieter and you can get a better sense of where and how the local people live. Highly recommended.

A warm and welcoming retreat

by TripAdvisor Member Suds_gal

My three nights at the Pousada Guarana were the relaxing pleasure that I had hoped the rest of my time in Brazil would be.

David and Jemina are warm and hospitable hosts who go the extra mile for their guests. They even hosted a catered birthday party for my group of friends! I felt at home and welcome without feeling either intrusive or intruded-upon. Their friendly dogs and cats were an added bonus for me.

The pousada itself is a unique layout created by Jemina's father and coloured by Jemina's art and an eclectic collection of beautiful things from around the world. The rooms are spaceous and scrupulously clean. My bed was incredibly comfortable (nice and firm).

The only negative I can come up with to give this review 'balance' is a lack of bath in the bathroom and the fact that the shower water is heated by an electric heater on the nozzle. However, from my (limited) experience in Brazil, I believe you would be hard-pressed to find a Pousada with a bath or with a North American style of hot water supply.

If you are looking for a comfortable, relaxed and friendly pied-a-terre in Paraty, I heartily recommend the Pousada Guarana.

Great place to stay - very friendly, simple but lovely environment

by TripAdvisor Member PhilippaL

We stayed for 4 nights in September and really liked this place.

It is purpose built and although simple the rooms and the surrounding areas are really quite lovely. Pool is a bonus as it was hot even in September. Breakfast was great.

Unfortunately David and Jemmina left and were away most of the time we stayed so we did not get to take advantage of the wonderful service that everyone has raved about, thought we did see it quite a few times on the first day when before they left. Junior helped us out in their absence.

Definately try the lunch plate at the local vegetarian resturant - fantastic food and great value we went back a few times - and we are not vegetarians!

It is worth mentioning that the location is about 30mins walk from the old town, they have bikes on offer which was fine for us but may not be optimal for everyone.

Really nice relaxing stay.

Feeling at home in Brazil

by TripAdvisor Member yves_vervaet

The Brazilian-American couple running this poussada have, together with their great staff, been able to create a laidback place where you can truely feel at home in Brazil.
David and Jimena are extremely helpfull in giving you any help or advice you might need during your stay.
It's a 15min walk out of the old town, in a quiet part of Paraty.
They have nice rooms in a nicely-designed building and the breakfast are really good.
This was clearly the best value for money poussada we had in Brazil.
Yves

Great Base Camp to explore Paraty

by TripAdvisor Member jns0914

Our stay was a real pleasure David and Jimena are wonderful host and the rest of the staff are great. The pousada is contstructed in a very cool natural way with log beams and spacious rooms and decorated like a gallery. Cafe de manha was a great start to each day lots of fresh fruit and baked goodies and more substantial fare as well.
We found it easy and had a great time exploring Paraty mostly because David is wired to the tours and happenings in the area via internet . He was able to book our tours and even get great seats for us on short notice to the famous puppet show in the Historic old city .After checking the bus seating and schedule for our trip to Sao Paulo on the web they even drove us to the bus station. With David and Jimena's help we had a stress free yet active stay in Paraty. We can't wait to go back

Dameron's
Orlando Fl

Charming, comfortable and cheap

by TripAdvisor Member Marcos70

You won't find a better deal in Paraty.

In Brazil, budget lodging usually means bad location, bad service and/or bad decor. This is even truer in charming Paraty, where the international clientele has pumped up prices to an international level – but hardly gets what they've paid for.

Pousada Guaraná is a remarkable exception to the rule. The whole place is stylish yet simple, the rooms are spacious -- with big, solid and comfortable beds -- and the staff is great. The owners, Jimena and David, are are a lovely English-speaking young couple. Take their advice: they know the best places in town and will keep you away from the tourist traps.

I recommend this pousada to everyone besides those who don't like pets (there are both cats and dogs that show up in the common areas every once in a while). Jimena and David are commited vegetarians, so there's no meat products in the breakfast buffet. But the scrambled eggs are so good that you won't miss the bacon even if you're a militant carnivore.

Brazil!

by talinchka

We spent three amazing weeks in Brazil, to celebrate our honeymoon. We went to Praia do Pipa, south of Natal, Salvador, Morro de Sao Paulo, Rio for New years and Paraty. Brazil is an amazing, diverse country and we can't wait to return!

General Infos

by HansWerner

"Brazil"

Well what shall I say ?
I´m just back from my first trip to Brazil and/or Rio and Paraty. Brazil is a land of beaches and sun but also a land of a big discrepancy between the one that have and the one that not have. A land that still has a lot of nature but also has a lot of social and economic problems. Brazil is the land of soccer, samba and capoeira. The land of the big "bundas". A land of beer and cachaca and caipirinha. We all know the famous song about the "Garota de Ipanema" from Vinicius de Morâes. Some of us are have also seen the film "Cidade de Deus" about the living in one of the favelas. And all of us have seen the pictures of "Christ the Redeemtor" on top of the Corcovado and the "Pao de Acucar". So go there and compare the reality with your imagination. I can only say: I will come back also I don´t know why.
So buy a guide like the lonely planet guide http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ and/or the Rio for partiers guide http://www.rioforpartiers.com/ and buy a ticket. You will arrive at the international airport http://www.infraero.gov.br/ . From there you can go by bus or taxi to downtown or you go to the main bus station the "Rodoviario Novo Rio".
Here are some pictures for you:
The brazilian tourism office: