Bellas Artes Guest House

Bellas Artes Hostel Rio
Booking.com Hostelworld.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Rio de Janeiro

The sugar loaf.The sugar loaf.

Rua Visconde de ItaboraíRua Visconde de Itaboraí

The lofty interiorThe lofty interior

The best way to get that photoThe best way to get that photo

Currency exchange

Hi!

Where is the best yet safe place to change your dollar in Rio? Also, do the exchanges at the airport give a good rate?

Thanks

by t_guy

On my last couple of trips to Rio, I have usually used ATM machhines for cash withdraws in Brazilian currency. The exchange rates are competitive but I do have to pay some ATM fees ($2 to $3). Also, beware that some of the ATM machines do not have an English option, but it is usually not to hard to decipher what buttons to push :-). I have used a currency exchange place in Ipanema and also have waited in line at a few banks. I found the exchange rates were better than at hotels. I do not think traveler's check are that acceptable in Rio, so expect to pay an extra fee if you use them. As far as departing at the airport, the last currency exchange before going through the security checkpoint is a ripoff as far as exchange rates. Enjoy Rio! -Gary

by cachaseiro

i would recommend to bring plastic aswell.
VISA and mastercard is very common in brazil and the way the middle class brazilians carry thei money too.
you have ATM´s all over the place and i have never had problems using them in brazil.

Thanks guys!

by robine

Yes, definitely use your debit card at ATMs.

by garfield3199

Back from my trip to Rio. I loved it and enjoyed every minute. The weather, the timing, my host, my accommodations all went my way. The only thing that didn't is the currency exchange at the bank in the airport. The rate was lower than the ones in authorized cambios in Ipanema and it charged my RS$9 as taxes! Sambo cambio at Rua Vincente Piranja has good rates and no taxes! Yes, credit cards expecially mastercard are also widely used in Rio. Didn't try the ATM, i wanted to avoid the extra bank charges.

by garfield3199

Thanks again for all your help, guys!

by HispanicYob

One of the first things I needed to immediately do convert my American dollars to Brazilian reais . I stayed at the Tupiniquim Hostel in Botafogo and I exchanged my money there directly at the hostel. I remmeber the exchange rate being fairly decent. For example, apx 198 USD was equal to apx 305 Reais (as of 2008 it was). If you're staying at a hostel or even a hotel, see if they can do a currency exchange for you. You might even get a better rate.

Travel Tips for Rio de Janeiro

Take a tandem flight on a...

by Allegri

Take a tandem flight on a hanglider, the view from the sky is absolutely fantastic! When I'm travelling abroad I miss the nature that surrounds my house, located on the border of the biggest national park located in an urban area: the Tijuca National Park.

WORKING FOR PEOPLE

by RafaelTheSecond

Most of the friends I have always to something for our locals, it is a kind of social work that I thought it would be useful. I have lots of friends outside of the country who come here and they are always willing to help!

Some help with food, some others help with food, sometimes money also so we can buy medicines or any supplies that the children might need.

I always pick up any public school in very poor communities in Niteroi or rio, but my action fields are above all in Niteroi.

In this case we chose a poor community in Niteroi called Santa Barbara.

Pierre brought some school supplies from Canada! And he is Pierre giving some fun to our brazilian children.

November 2004 Nothing better to work for the smile of a children! I can guarantee you!

Daytime Clothing

by ShannonRose

Daytime clothing in Rio is very casual. You do see women in heels, but most of us are just going to the beach or meeting some friends for lunch or a beer. We wear flipflps, simple sundresses (you can buy cheap here, on the beach or on the main shopping street 3 blocks from the beach), guys wear surf shorts with their bikinis underneath and shirtless or with a shirt. When you go to the beach dont bring a heavy towel, just buy a sarong on the beach and use that to cover your chair or lay on the sand. It is so hot you dont need to dry off, and it is small and light to just carry or put in a small simple bag with your sunscreen, and 20 Real, maybe a book...but most people just sit and talk or layout or drink coconuts or beer the beach vendors serve to you. Brazilian women do not wear much makeup at all....the eyeliner and lipstick is for old women and prostitutes.

SOME LOCAL CUSTOM TIPS FOR MY GREAT DEE

by marcbrazil

Rafael, my big big big bi big big big big big fiend told me that our VT FRIEND and famous member Deecat loves cats and gardens. Specially CATS we must say!!!

As I am a cat lover and so does Rafael, one of Rafael's dreams is going to Africa just to spot lions, jaguars, chettahs in the wilderness.

So we decide to show to everybody here the cats of the house!!!

Here I am with the HOSTER...Ferrugem, he is the public ralation in Rafael's apartment!!!!

Ferrugem always insist that we have to be HIS BED!!!

OCTOBER 2007

A SPECIAL SUNDAY :)

by RafaelTheSecond

Mother's Day and most of all Mothers of my Family!;) We went to Copacabana where Aunt Edna lives, she is the wife of my father's brother, Roberval. Hehehehee

I had lots of fun when i went to Roberval in Quebec.

Anyway, we decided to get together int he house for a nice BRUNCH.

Lots of food!;))))) Lots of music, games and talking with people I love!

The Mother's Day can stop the traffic here in Rio, the restaurants are packed, every son goes to the parent's house, and it is a big event, which I do appreciate alot!

I took a picture with all the mothers in the house, from left to right:

Pedro Henrique (my cousin), Solange (my cousin); Aunt Augusta, Aunt Zezé (my father's sisters); MY MOTHER STELLA, Aunt Yara, Luciana (my cousin) and Aunt Edna; and of coruse myself!

This pic is very fresh I just took it less than 12 hours ago!

May 9th, 2005