Catete Hostel

Rua do Catete, 92 – casa 1, Catete, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 20220-000, Brazil
Booking.com eDreams

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Rio de Janeiro

Corcovera hill: Cristo in the cloudsCorcovera hill: Cristo in the clouds

Jeep tour in Rio de janairo.Jeep tour in Rio de janairo.

Travessa do ComércioTravessa do Comércio

CorcovadoCorcovado

Can you walk safely from Avenida Atlantica to Ipamena in the evening

by Snej

we stay on Copacabana, but want to go to the beach of Ipamena, also for a dinner or drink in the evening, is it possible to walk the disctance or need a taxi expecially in the evening, do people walk along the beaches in the evening, like it is in Miami, Nice etc...

Hi

I was in Rio in 2005. You can walk that it's a bit of a walk depending on where you are staying, but be careful at night there as I always felt on edge there's lots of people and plenty crime. It's a beautiful country to be discovered just keep your senses about you.

by bahiana77

You haven't said when you are going, which effects the number of people walking alongside the beach. For example, in April or June (vs. high season), there are not a lot of people strolling the sidewalks next to the beach and most kiosks close fairly early. But at the same time that Av. Atlantica may not have lots of people, Av. N.S. de Copacabana, the main shopping street one block back, will be crowded.

by yvr

Be very very careful, do not carry cash, camera or jewelery. If you carry cash put it in your shoe, and your credit card also. Keep a throw away wallet with perhaps 10/20 dollars in it and an expired credit card. Most important of all do NOT resist any attempt at a mugging.

by yvr

I don't have to defend putting my money in my shoe, and I think your thoughts on hygiene stink. The money is in a baggie neatly tuck between my sock and the shoe itself. If it had not been there, then the time that I was held up by 5 Brazillians at knife point to my throat,I was walking down a very busy main Street near the beach, my money and credit card would have been gone. They were satisfied to take the 20 odd dollars I had in my pocket. I for one will take stinky money over being robbed. One other my friend, my hygeine is far superior to others and that includes you.

by JennysTravels

Maybe it's a Canadian thing as I also tuck money into my shoe. I remove the sole but it in a wee baggie and off I go. I also stuff 20-50 dollars of euros into my jeans pocket. That is generally enough for me for the day out and about. Money stinks anyway, look at how many hands it's changed. It never gets cleaned, so what' the big stink about sticking it into your shoe? I think it's a brilliant idea.

by JennysTravels

This Canadian is a proud owner of several pairs "havaianas/flip flops," which were bought in lovely Rio 5 yrs ago.

I love your suggestion about the credit card taped to the buttocks. Brilliant, just brilliant. I will have to try that out next time I travel, now why didn't I think of that?

by robine

Returning to the original question - I live in Posto 6, 10 metres from the street dividing Ipanema and Copacabana, and regularly walk in both directions in the evenings, without finding it necessary to take the imaginative precautions suggested!

by Snej

Thanks for your decent answer, all the suggestions ans safety precausions i have read above, made me feel bad about dearing to ask this question

by Snej

Thansk for your decent answer!

Travel Tips for Rio de Janeiro

Portuguese lessons in Rio

by mangueirense

For those of you who are interested to visit a language course in Brazil I searched for portuguese lessons, called "portugues para estrangeiros" in Brazil.
Let's start here with my search-results for Rio de Janeiro:

at PUC university you can have portuguese lessons too (2003) :

links to language courses in Brazil (Rio-state) which most of them offers portuguese lessons too:

Some other school adresses:

Filial Baukurs Barra da Tijuca:
Av. Ministro Ivan Lins, 480 sala 217

IBEU - Rio de Janeiro
Av. Nossa Sra. de Copacabana, 690 / 11º andar
CEP: 22050-000 Rio de Janeiro-RJ.
Tel: 3816-9400
Fax: 2255-9355

There are existing various filials in:
Botafogo, Barra da Tijuca, Ipanema, Tijuca, Jardim Botanico, etc.
Price is brazilian Reais: 500 per month. each level lasts 1 month. classes meet 4X week; 2 hours/day.

Backgrond Idiomas

Scholar Language Center
r. Visconde de Pirajá, 351 Gr 405 - Fone : (021) 523-6305
Home Page : www.scholar.com.br
Email : ccord@scholar.com.br

There's another little school in Rio (Largo do Machado) where they offer only single-lessons for reasonable prices.
The director of the school is Ivanosca and she does speak english.
E-mail: cursoivm@hotmail.com
Tel: 0055 21 2285 7642
Fax: 0055 21 2285 4979

Costumes for the POOR!

by Hexepatty

Now contrast those lovely Costumes above w/ the Costumes our humble little Samba School Wore. On the Positive Side: the entire costume cost $3.00USD. The Shoes cost .30 Cents. The costume I wore was partially cotton and partially white fabric backing.. (SLIGHTLY stronger Tissue Paper). The shoes - sandals - were of pretty cheap paper. BUt you know what? They lasted the night. Didn't bust up and from a DISTANCE.. Just Like the Bette Midler Song ... we looked Okay (i hope!!!) Again, being in that Damn Samba Parade and not knowing the song or dance, but everyone else did. Q and I did our bests to NOT look like fools, but I almost passed out. This was one of the most physically demanding things I ever did. Samba-ing for 45 minutes... while partially looking for CAB to get the Freak out of there! ; )

ONE OF THE ENTRANCES OF RIO

by RafaelTheSecond

This is one of the biggest gates of our National richness...we export most of our production here, and we import the goods we need to move the country. the Harbour of Rio, which we call PORTO DO RIO, represents the States of Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, Espirito Santo, Goiás and Bahia, and this is the 2nd biggest harbour in Brazil, the first one is in Santos!

The harbour area is very close to the bridge which links Rio to Niteroi and to the highways which lead our cargo to the North of the country!

FEIRA DO NORDESTE - PART TWO

by RafaelTheSecond

This is the place where the brazilians are more brazilians. Feira do Nordeste is also called Feira de São Cristovão, these place is there for a long time, almost 50 years, and every weekend they perform public shows of folk music all come from the States of the North and North East....

They are funny!;)

April 30th, 2005

Sth. on Poverty...

by Groentje

My friend told me that it is really hard to escape poverty in an honest way once you're inside that circle. Let me give you an example. When someone wants to set up a business, he needs to be able to proove that he has money to back it, or that he owns a house. Absolutely no one in the favelas owns a house or has a lot of (legal) money, so that's already one chance blown...
Many of the poor people just wander the streets and drink, or sniff glue. Others collect cans, bottles, cardboard and paper, just to go off and sell it.
And this in a city where some families cook for ten when they are only with four, just throwing away what remains.
Strange thought came to my mind over there: here in Belgium, we have stray cats and dogs, but in Rio, for the first time I saw stray people! Even on the roads, really busy roads, people just not knowing where they are going, just wandering the streets. In tunnels, unknowing people...
Funny thing is that they still seem to enjoy themselves despite of all the hardship; Cariocas seem to be used to them as well.

Comments