Colinas Residencia

Rua Saint Roman 338, Ipanema / Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• 200 EUROS STOLEN FROM THE SAFE DEPOSIT BOX BY THE

This hostel, which is advertised under different names Colinas residencia, Colinas de Copacabana, Colinas redidencia, etc. is located in Rua Saint Roman 338, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, was the worst experience we have ever had! Do not book this hostel 'cause your holiday can easily become a nightmare! We got robbed by the hotel staff, and nobody including the hotel manager did nothing to help us. The rudest people we ever met!!!!!!

My friend and I stayed in this hotel from Nov 12 to Nov 20, 2009, in a private double room, which means we did not share the room with anyone. Having arrived at the hostel, we also rented the safe deposit box in our room in order to keep money in it 'cause we heard that Rio was not very safe. Renting the safe deposit box was not included in the price, but we needed to pay extra. But, when we tried to open the safe deposit box, it turned out that the lock was broken. We reported it to the receptionist, who sent a handyman to repair it. He fixed it and we put our money, passports and other documents inside.
    The next day, before leaving for the center of Rio, I opened the safe deposit box, counted all the money, locked the safe deposit box again and put the key in the pocket of my shorts. All the money was there. My friend was there with me, but he did not have access to the safe deposit box, 'cause the key was with me all the time.
    When we came back to the hostel, I counted the money again, but 200 euros were missing!!!! 150 from my and 50 from his wallet. It was not a burlary because the room door as well as the door of the safe deposit box were intact (no traces of forcible and violent entry). Only somebody from the hostel who had the access to the keys could get into our room, open the safe deposit box and stole our money. I ran downsatirs to the reception desk, but the hotel staff including the manager who was there did not seem to care. The female receptionist just asked me if I wanted her to call the police. When the police arrived, they took me to the police station where I gave the satement and reported the theft.
    When I came back to the hostel, I told the receptionist I would like to speak to the manager. He came from his office and I asked him what he did to protect us, his guests. I asked him if he talked with the handyman who repaired the safe deposit box the day before or the room maid, because it was so obvious that sombedy of the staff stole the money. He behaved in the most disgusting manner and turned his deaf ear to all that I said. The rest of the time we spent in this hotel, nobody (except for the two male receptionist who were kind all the time) demonstrated any concern or compassion for what happened to us. The manager behaved as we had not been there. And, also the day when we got robbed, I met the handyman in the corridor. The moment he passed by me, he started whistling some tune in a very provocative manner. It was so frustrating, but I was not able to do anything.
    On top of everything, the day we checked out the female recptionist (extremely rude) tried to charge us the cost of renting the safe deposit box, even though I returned the key the very day we were robbed.
    Such things happen in hotels! But 'cause of the way we were treated I decided to put this story on every Internet site on which this hostel advetises its services.
    I visited the police station one more time before we left, and deputy station commander told us that they would do everything they could. I know I won't see my money again, but I feel I need to warn other people not to stay in this hotel. You'd better pay more for a safer hotel.
    If you have any queries, please contact me at jovancatovic@yahoo.com and I will provide with all the proofs and additional details.

• Lyneke's Profile Photo

Youth Hostel in Ipanema

Unique Quality: I stayed in a dorm of 4 beds. There wasn't any luxury.. The room was even very small, too small for 4 persons to stay in. But I didn't complain. The period that I stayed there, there were max 2 people sleeping in the room, so that gives you a bit more space ;-)

The prices: I payed 30 reals during the week, 35 reals in the weekend. The longer you stay, the less you have to pay. Breakfast was also included in the price.

The staff are really verrrry nice. They all speak more or less english. And language can't be a problem. If you have a problem, or need information, they will do everything to help you.

Directions: it's only 2 bocks away from copacabana and ipanema beach. i thought the area was pretty safe.

• Alless's Profile Photo

Special deal in Ipanema

Located in Ipanema, 200 meters from two of Rio de Janeiro’s most beautiful beaches (Copacabana Beach and Arpoador Beach), Colinas Residencia Hostel offers 24 single , double, triple rooms or quad room, near the best night life points and bars.The friendly staff speak English, spanish, french and portuguese.

Member Discount: 10% off of For night [Print Coupon] http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/lm/76/?i=0
    Restrictions: For more than 5 nights

Unique Quality: facilities: money exchange service, travel agency, car rental service and can purchase plane tickets and book city tours for guests. An internet café is available along with an airport shuttle service.The rooms are equipped with private bathrooms with hot water, towels and sheets, air conditioners, cable TV, telephones, in-room safes and refrigerators. There is a restaurant inside the building, a garage and private security 24 hours a day.
    Even so, Colinas residencia have a very commfortable shared rooms.

Comments