(5 star hotel)

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Spa and Resort Seniors
See Amenities
draguza's Profile Photo

One of the oldest in Rio

by written on June 12, 2011

Unique Quality: A veritable Rio landmark, Copacabana Palace continues to enjoy a reputation as one of the most glamorous hotels in Brazil. The immaculate white façade, beachfront location, immaculately-attired staff and fabulous pool combine to make this an enduring favourite with celebrities visiting the city. The hotel's two restaurants, Cipriani and the less-formal Pergula, offer some of the best food in the city, and non-guests are welcome. Advance booking is essential, and be warned that prices sky rocket over Carnival and New Year.

jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Traditional Luxury $$$ - nice pop-out TV in room

by written on August 29, 2008

Stayed at the Copacabana Palace because my Brazilian friend said that the Palace was the "place" to stay at, and the choice of royalties and dignitaries (although I am neither) who visit Rio.
So, on my third visit to this beautiful country, I did book at the Palace (painfully at over $600 per night!) and it was indeed traditional luxury with excellent service. I was expecting a bigger reception area for a "palace", but the room I was given had high ceilings and was tastefully decorated. I was looking for the television set and found out I had to push a button so that the TV popped up at the end of the bed.
The giveaway slippers for use at the beach were very comfy, and the bathrobes lush. The beach was okay, and your slippers and towel identify you as "from the Palace". But I do agree with another reviewer who says that the beach at Ipanema is better.
The hotel price can be restrictive to most, but staying a night or two can be a memorable experience at the Palace, and then maybe transfer to an Ipanema hotel for the remaining days. Taxis are relatively safe and plentiful so transferring won't be a problem. The pool is huge and relaxing-looking with people enjoying food nearby, but I did rather lounge at the beach instead and actually did not stay much in the hotel except to sleep.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

I made a video of one of my trips to Brazil. Hope you like this:

JUMPING NORMAN AT THE COPACABANA PALACE

Unique Quality: Considered best luxury hotel in Copacabana

Directions: Right there at the beach - you won't miss it!

NedHopkins's Profile Photo

Pure luxury

by written on July 6, 2008

I first stayed at the Copacabana Palace Hotel in 2002. I was alone and paid US$465 a night for a very small room, with a tiny ocean-view balcony, in the main ('original') building.

In July 2008 my wife and I were upgraded -- for what reason I do not know -- to a suite in the tower ('new') building. It was spectacular: a large sitting room, a bedroom larger than my entire accommodation in the main building, and a huge, ocean-facing balcony. Further, the cost -- for two people -- was just US$400.

We were taken aback when we were asked to sign a chit for breakfast -- R$110 (US$73). That was only a formality: the charges did not appear on our final bill.

Unique Quality: Service at the Copacabana Palace remains outstanding, at the reception (check-in and -out) and concierge desks, in the restaurants, and everywhere else.

Food in La Pergola, the casual restaurant, was first class. The breakfast included 14(!) different kinds of fruit; many types of bread, rolls, and pastry; cereals; juices; waffles and pancakes; and. . . . Dinner -- I had lobster, my wife shrimp -- was also superb.

Our only disappointment was with the hotel's Cipriani Restaurant. When I ate here in 2002 the food was of gourmet quality. Perhaps there's a different chef now, or was the night we dined. My pork ('suckling pig') was barely edible; my wife's lamb chops were merely OK.

Directions: About five blocks south of Av Princessa Isabel.

AlyssaRic's Profile Photo

An unforgettable experience...

by written on July 30, 2007

This hotel was like staying in a castle...I came to Brazil with my husband to explore the Amazon rain forest and get real down to earth in the rich culture and wildlife.

The hotel could not have been more gorgeous or perfect. It costs a small fortune to stay here, don't be surprised to find a celebrity such as Lenny Kravitz or Jack Nicholson in the room next to you...

We stayed in junior suite which was to die for. All of your amenities in the highest quality and very appealing. If you plan on taking long hikes, tours, canoing, etc all day you definitely want to come home to an ice cold room and mini bar filled with treats, which was exactly what we looked forward to upon returning from our adventures.

The bed was like sleeping on air, now I have back problems and this was a miracle bed for me! The food was presented very creatively, we ate there nearly every night. Our tour guide Lorenz arranged everything from tours, to gear rentals, to limo pickups, etc and was truly on top of his game and catered to our every need.

We shall return to the Copacabana Palace Hotel, the most elite hotel we have stayed at in South America!

Unique Quality: Architecture, service, food, amenities, room

travelbug99's Profile Photo

luxury

by written on July 21, 2007

Our holiday was booked for a Monday thru Friday stay. The crowd at the hotel was older couples and small children until our last day when the crowd turns into 30 something set

We stayed in a junior suite which was more then comfortable and had decent ammenties

Hotel staff was wonderful especially the concierge desk which helped us book tables, rent bikes, etc

Oana_bic's Profile Photo

The legendary hotel

by written on January 24, 2007

Didnt stay here but couldnt resist having a look around - stunning..on our list of next to do things in Rio..loved the swimming pool which was a proper size as opposed to ours..

Great place (stay here)

by written on March 27, 2006

The Portuguese say "mains un dia, mais un dolar" and that's applicabel to the Copa; another day, another dollar. It is rich in both history and in expense. But is well worth the stay. My only other choice was Caesars which gives you better shopping, restaurants and beach - but not the atmosphere of the Copa. My family wouldn't stay anywhere else now.

From it's beautiful white facade to the elegant hallways and banquet rooms, it's a treat. It's the Breakers of Brazil. Our spacious standard room in the tower offered a pool and beach view. The food at the hotel is great and we ate at the pool restaurant mainly.

It is quiet on this section of town at night and we felt perfectly safe venturing out into the short row of restaurants that line Atlantica Avenue. Mostly mixed Italian with Portuguese food.

And celebs abound at this place....we ran into Lenny Kravitz amongst others.

Unique Quality: The service is highly attentive...you get up from your pool chair, you get a new towel. You want a complete history lesson from the staff, you get it.

bbkmomma's Profile Photo

Lovely but SMALL rooms

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 1, 2005

I visited a friend who was staying here and while the hotel was beautiful, their room was extremely small for the price. Here they were on their honeymoon, and the room was almost completely filled by the king sized bed.
Everything else I saw of the hotel was first-class. The pool is very large and we enjoyed our meal (and wine!) in the restaurant right by the pool. Quite expensive though!
Oh well, we were in Rio! Enjoy your stay.

ets's Profile Photo

A luxurious hotel!

by written on October 21, 2004

If you like to stay practically on the beach in style, I suppose this is the place! I took this picture as we were passing by the place.

mangueirense's Profile Photo

Luxury Hotels in Rio

by written on January 4, 2004

As I just wrote enough advices on budget hotels in Rio I wanted to give you a short inside-view also to the luxury hotels in Rio, most of all the most famous one:
The Copacabana Palace Hotel.

Rio's most traditional and luxurious hotel was opened in 1923. The impressive, stucco-fashioned landmark building was designed by the French architect Joseph Gire, who was inspired by two hotels: the Negresco in Nice and the Carlton in Cannes. Since its opening, it has had only two owners - the Guinle family of Rio de Janeiro and from 1989, Orient-Express Hotels.

It is set near the Copacabana beach and convenient for Rios nightlife and centers of commerce. Copacabana Palace has two restaurants, The Pergula (by the pool) and the Cipriani restaurant (with Northern Italian cuisine). The restaurant and its bar are located on the ground floor of the Annex, overlooking the hotels pool. The hotel also has 24-hour room service, outdoor pool, sauna, solarium, and massage. Golf, tennis, health club, beach, and watersports are nearby. The Copacabana Palace is superbly located: it faces the famous Copacabana Beach and yet is only minutes from the center of Rio. The hotel is located eight miles from the domestic airport, Santos Dumont, and 20 miles from Rio de Janeiros international airport, Tom Jobim. Within ten miles of the hotel are botanical gardens, downtown, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and Maracana Stadium. Rooms and suites are air conditioned, all with bath, minibar, phone, and cable.

Adress:
Email: reservas@copacabanapalace.com.br

travelmad478's Profile Photo

Go for the best!

by written on October 6, 2003

You can't get more elegant than the Copacabana Palace, located along the beachfront in Copacabana. I was lucky enough to stay there on my last trip to Rio, and the rooms are excellent. Try to stay in the old section of the hotel, where all the rooms have been recently renovated. If you can't afford to stay there, at least wander in and have drinks by the pool. It's a lovely experience.

Alless's Profile Photo

Most famous Luxury Hotel in Rio

by written on July 11, 2003

A glance through the pages of the Copacabana Palace's Golden Book is enough to confirm the hotel's status among the world's great hotels. It reveals a guest list of royalty, of stars of screen, stage, music and sport as well as the politicians and business leaders who have helped shape the world over the last seven decades.
Opened in 1923, this impressive stucco-fashioned edifice is Rio's most traditional and luxurious hotel. This landmark was designed by the French architect Joseph Gire who was inspired by two hotels, the Negresco in Nice and the Carlton in Cannes. Since opening it has only two owners, the Guinle family of Rio de Janeiro and from 1989, Orient-Express Hotels. The Copacabana Palace Hotel has undergone an extensive discreet refurbishment program, which was designed to retain and enhance the hotel's position as South America's premiere hotel.It has played an important role in the social and cultural life of the city since it opened its doors in the 20's. Edith Piaf, Orson Wells, Carmen Miranda, Rock Hudson, Queen Elisabeth (and Prince Charles and Diana) have already enjoyed their hospitality.
A new method of illuminating the façade was introduced in 1990 and allows the hotel to shine as brightly by night as it does by the day. By the end of 1991, the hotel's pool area which houses one of the city's largest an most attractive swimming pools was fully renovated.

Unique Quality: Copacabana Palace has two restaurants, The Pergula situated by the pool area where guests may enjoy breakfast, buffet lunch, dinner or refreshments, and the Cipriani restaurant, already rated among the city's best, offers a selection of Northern Italian cuisine. The restaurant and its bar are located on the ground floor of the Annex, overlooking the hotel's pool.

The hotel's convention center is comprised of 10 different function rooms fully equipped for banquets, seminars and meetings.

Directions: Copacabana

NedHopkins's Profile Photo

The Finest Hotel in ...

by written on April 28, 2003

The Copacabana Palace ranks with the finest hotels in the world. Rooms are good–sized and well appointed; those facing the beach have superb views.
Service is impeccable: rooms are kept neat; room–service is quick; and towels and umbrellas are provided on a supervised section of the beach, directly across Avenida Atlanticá.
The Cipriani restaurant (related to its Venice namesake) serves Michelin–quality three–star Italian food; the breakfast spread at Pergula — on the opposite end of the pool — is outstanding, and its lunch and dinner offerings are also top–notch.
Though Copacabana is less chic than Ipanema/Leblon, it is nearer Corcovado, Pão do Açucar, and most other tourist sites.

Unique Quality: The pool is the largest in Rio, being nearly Olympic sized. Poolside service is the kind that celebrities and VIPs no doubt expect and the rest of us can sometimes enjoy if we pay for it.
Decor in both the bar and Cipriani restaurant is opulent; and the bar serves the finest caiprinhas I've had anywhere in Brazil.
The concierge will arrange everything from tours (private and group) to reservations at shows and restaurants to the delivery of prescription drugs (if you happen to run out, as I did).
And if you decide to save money after splurging here, the Copacabana station of the fast, clean, and cheap Rio metro is just a short walk from the hotel.

Directions: Northern end of Copcabana Beach

chris_i79's Profile Photo

Copacobana Palace

by written on April 28, 2003

If you can afford it....go for it!

Unique Quality: Built more than 50 years ago, it is a beautiful building. Regarded as the first resort of South America, it has had many famous guests

janaina's Profile Photo

COPACABANA PALACE

by written on October 24, 2002

I choose this example because it's the most famous hotel in Rio,but it's not the place where most tourists stay,only the ones with the right budget.
This hotel is famous as the scenery of fancy balls,cocktail parties,and where most of the international famous names stay when in Rio.
I love its classic and rich exterior architecture,and its interior is even more espectacular!

Nearby Copacabana Palace

• Copacabana Palace Hotel
  • Copacabana Palace Rio De Janeiro
  • Copacabana Palace By Orient-express Hotel Rio De Janeiro

Address: Avenida Atlantica 1702, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22021-001, Brazil

24 Photos of Copacabana Palace

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Rio de Janeiro Travel Forum

Need advice about Rio de Janeiro, Brazil? Visit the Travel Forum for Rio de Janeiro and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rio de Janeiro hotel reviews

Botanical Garden
Going by bus
Lapa
Nightlife
Churrascaria (all you can eat)
Casa da Matriz
Búzios
Off The Beaten Path
Petrópolis
Off The Beaten Path
Tremendous trip with my friend Carlos in Rio!!
Corcovado
Pao de Acucar
Recommended visit!
Things to Do
Travel with my friend to Rio !!
A Great Samba Club in the Lapa
Nightlife
Most gorgeous view of the city
Things to Do
Rio seems safe - we had a good time
Things to Do
From Galeão Airport toTerminal Alvorada by BRT.
TIJUCA FOREST : Stunning biodiversity into a city