Excelsior Copacabana Hotel Rio De Janeiro

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Av Atlantica 1800, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22021-001, Brazil

Windsor Excelsior Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 86% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• 3rd rate hotel

The hotel is not clean. There is no hot water. The 4'x4' pool on the roof is a joke.
    The hotel is across the road from the beach, yet there are no beach view rooms.
    The food is sub quality.
    The service is poor and the management does not seem to care.
    I had my wallet stolen in less than 24 hours and the management would not call the police or talk with the hotel who had entered my room.

Rio has a very high crime rate as many of my friends have told me from their personal experiences.

Unique Quality: The unique feature of this hotel is that they actually get people to pay their very high rates. They are located next to the Copacabana Palace and think that they deserve to charge the same rate because of their location, not service nor quality.

Directions: Next to Cocabana Palace hotel

• Ipanema_Princess's Profile Photo

Luxury in Copacabana

If you're searching for a 4* hotel in Copacabana, the Excelsior is a very good option.
    Excellent location, good service , good food...

The room had a good space for a standard. Nothing special in decoration, but clean and modern. Nice bathroom. Cable TV, Phone, Minibar... But the best is waiting for you on the roof !!!

I really liked my stay here and I wished it had been longer.
    But be careful if you come during Carnival like all hotels in Rio you will have to stay for a minimum of 4 nights and pay a special package rate...

Unique Quality: Small but wonderful swimming pool on the hotel's roof. Just lay in the sun drinking a Caipirinha with one of the best views on Copacabana. Seriously what more can you ask for ? The top floor also features a sauna, a gym room... and a bar.

Other big asset is the buffet breakfast, with a great choice. I also tested it for dinner, and it's equally good, with both local and international dishes.

Directions: Copacabana beach, close to the famous "Copacabana Palace".

• talinchka's Profile Photo

Great hotel, great location

We stayed at the Excelsior Copacabana for New Years and it was well worth the money. Like all hotels over New Years, the Excelsior tripled their prices, but the location was unbelievable, right in front of one of the stages. We liked the hotel so much, we went back there for our last few days in Brazil. The service was great, the rooms small but definitely adequate and the breakfast is really good. All in all, particularly if you are paying normal prices, well worth it.

Unique Quality: Great views from rooftop pool. The hotel offers internet service at ridiculous prices.

Directions: Right on Copacabana beach, next to the Copcabana Palace Hotel (which all the cabs know).

More about Excelsior Copacabana Hotel Rio De Janeiro

At the Excelsior, Copacabana, the hottest spot north of Havana!

by TripAdvisor Member Jarvis100

What NOT to love about this hotel?? Don't be put off by the 3.5 star rating, it's equivalent 5 stars easily! The staff are brilliant, the buffet breakfast is superb and some lovely touches such as having chocolates delivered each night to your room all added to a wonderful stay. We took a trip to Foz de Igaussu using the hotel's contact, Fatima - she's fantastic, so helpful and great package prices.

I went with my boyfriend...he proposed in the gorgeous Marius Fish restaurant (which is just up the beach at Leme)over lobster and I said....YES!!!!

Great hotel, highly recommended

We have just returned from eight days in Sao Paulo and Rio. We spent the last 4 days at the Excelsior Copacabana, and I agree with earlier reviewers, this hotel deserves its reputation. The staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are comfortable and very modern. The breakfast buffet was also very nice. I travel a lot, and would rate this hotel right up there with the best U.S. hotels and business class hotels found in major cities both inside and outside the U.S.. In fact, for the room rates (we got an escellent price) I cannot say that I have ever gotten a better value for the price. Highly recommended.

Excellant Hotel

My husband I stayed 6 days and nights (January 20-26) in Rio at the Excelsior Copacabana Hotel. I must say, I did so much research on find the perfect hotel to stay in. I would read this website all the time. The reviews have helped me so much. The hotel is WONDERFUL and GREAT SERVICE!! The Hotel has a great roof top pool with a great view of the beach, sugar loaf, and the corcovado(christo).They even offer you beach towls at the pool and at the beach plus chairs and unbrellas. My husband and I were extremely pleased with everything. Its just want everyone says it is and more. Great Breakfast also. But please becareful with valuables on the beach. They stole our digital camera while we were right there and didnt even notice. I highly recommend this hotel. The best in Rio!!!!!!

The Ambiance of a First Class Hotel in Beautiful Rio De Janeiro

by TripAdvisor Member scor

We just arrive back from a wonderful week stay in the WONDERFUL Excelsior Copacabana Hotel. The moment we arrive from the airport before the taxi stopped at the hotel the doorman was waiting to open our doors that was special, from the moment we stepped in the hotel we loved it. The staff was second to none they were just amazing. Our room was wonderful all the amenities was just great. The hotel has amazing view of Rio's Copacabana area what a beautiful place and also VERY VERY safe lots of police presence all over Rio is no different than any other big cities in terms of crime. Be smart and your fine We walked around for a whole week and no one has approached us for money etc. its like any tourist area you will see people the odd times may ask you to buy a souvenirs. I am already planning to go back the people are so friendly. The BEST about Excelsior is the food buffet breakfast, lunch, and dinner, we didnt have room after 3 days, make sure you try the shrimp scampi on the dinner buffet its awesome. Do not hesitate about this hotel its the best I travelled to over 40 countries and this hotel is excellent compare to some big names hotel I stayed. So go ahead and enjoy its well worth the plunge in luxury with Excelsior. Also when in Rio try the Plataforma show some of the best dancers it reminds you of the carnival ask the hotel about it its a must.

Outstanding Hotel

My wife and I stayed in the Excelsior based on the this website, and were not disappointed at all!! Our room was a little on the small side but we did not stay in there too much anyway. The hotel is right on Copacabana beach, almost next door to the beautiful Palace Hotel. Like everyone else said, the buffet was outstanding-- any breakfast food you can think of, and if it wasnt out there, they would make it. Over 8 fresh juices to choose from. We spent a lot of time on the pool roof, drinking and watching the sunset. The employees are attentive to your needs, and eager to help in any way. They also have an employee on the beach to help you with chairs and umbrellas if needed (also there for security reasons). The only down side to the week was the constant harrassing of street vendors while we were eating, but that was no biggy. The beach is covered with small soccer fields where my wife and I caught a couple games. If, no when, we go back to Rio, we will stay in the same hotel... this time with a beach view.

Top Class

by TripAdvisor Member topcatmax

We booked the excelsior based on the ratings the hotel was given here on trip advisor. The ratings do not do the hotel justice. I cannot praise the hotel highly enough. I was initially upgraded to the luxury corner room from the superior room I had booked, when my girlfriend arrived the next day we were upgraded yet again to the executive suite on the 12th floor complete with outstanding views of the copacabana and the statue of Christ the redeemer. The staff were fantastic and catered to our every need. We used the private car for transport almost verywhere we went and it was no more expensive than the local yellow cabs. Everything was just well done. Thank you for making our visit to Rio a memorable one Excelsior 5 Stars all round.

Great hotel overall

by TripAdvisor Member fionnaaustralia

I recently stayed here for one week, and originally I did have concerns due to one, rather strong, negative, review from a recent hotel guest.

However, I found this to be unfounded.

First of all the location is excellent!

The hotel is very nice, the rooms spacious and clean.
We had no view what so ever, but this made no differnece to our enjoyment here.

Like others have said, the hotel staff are very friendly and attentive.

The breakfast buffet was of great value as well.

I would recommend anyone to stay here...and I travel alot.

Hotel Excelsior - Copacabana

by old_carioca_hand

Years ago, in the early '60's, my parents were transferred to Rio, where we lived for 2 years (and absolutely loved it). When we first got to Rio, we stayed for some time in the EXCELSIOR HOTEL in Copacabana. In those years, the hotel was nice - I originally remember the great dining room with the wonderful view of the beach.

I'll be going back to Rio to visit in a couple of months - first time in many years - and see that this hotel still exists. I thought I might stay there again just for "old times' sake". The question I have is this: Is the EXCELSIOR still a nice place after all these years? I'm also tempted to stay in Ipanema rather than Copacabana - if the choice were yours to make, which area would you stay in - Copacabana or Ipanema?

by coconutwireless

Well, some firneds of ours who visited Brazil this summer and stayed in Copacabana recommended we stay in Ipanema. I too am looking for a place to stay in? So recommendations would be appreciated.
traveling with aloha
the coconut wireless

by mangueirense

Hello,

unfortunately I can't say much about the Excelsior Copacabana Hotel, 'cause I never stayed at when I have been to Rio, but I can give you the original webpage for you to have a better idea of this hotel:

If you have any other questions, please write me!

Greetings
and have fun
Evelyn

by eagleman

I live close to this hotel and I can say it still seems to be nice.
As to the place to stay I prefer Copacabana,because this place is close to everything here in Rio.Ipanema is just few minutes close to Copacabana,you can go on foot!
See you!

Re: Re: Hotel Excelsior - Copacabana

by robine

Personally, I'd choose Ipanema - classier, less tacky. Hotels I'd recommend would be Praia Ipanema and Sol Ipanema (in that order) - both 4*, both on the beach.

Enjoy!