Gloria Hotel

tijuca's Profile Photo

Hotel Gloria - Rio's Grand Old Lady

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 26, 2008

One of the four hotels I stayed at in Rio was the historical Hotel Gloria, located near downtown Rio. Once the Grand Lady of the all Rio hotels, the Hotel Gloria remains a Rio landmark. Check out her web site at: http://www.hotelgloriario.com.br/index2.htm .

I believe Brazilian and European Royalty, along with the likes of Albert Einstein, stayed here in times past. I loved the history of this hotel, and the rich one of a kind wood work is truly a treasure to behold. Wood everywhere, the likes of which could only be found in Brazil. Historical Rio permeated the grounds.

Unique Qualities: The hotel is a Carioca treasure located near downtown and only five minutes from Copacabana and Ipanema beaches. Close, too, to the Cafe Colombo, Rua do Ouvidor, and the Sao Bento Monastery. All great and awesome Brazilian heritage sites. I loved every minute I spent inside the Gloria Hotel. I only regret my stay was so short! Note: you will have to take cabs to the beaches and most places you want to see; the immediate area around the hotel is mainly residential, and downtown is a mile or two away. A unique area in Rio; it's not really downtown, but it's not within walking distance of the beach, either. A car rental would be handy here. It looks like there is parking, too, which was not the case at the Arpoador Inn. There, I discovered the mirror on my VW Bug rental was missing the first morning. I knew I was back in Rio. Que saudades mi deu.

Note: what was once the American Embassy in Rio is just around the corner; it's now the American Consulate. When the embassy moved to Brasilia, no one wanted to leave Rio.

I can't remember what I paid, but I remember it was extremely reasonable for the surrounding luxury. Due to its location off of Rio's world famous beaches, the price was around $80.00 in 2000. It may well be more reasonable than I remember. Beautiful place. I believe I'll stay at the Gloria on my next trip to Rio . . . .

glabah's Profile Photo

Sleep Where Einstein slept

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 23, 2004

Unique Quality: This hotel is one of the classical grand historic hotels of Rio de Janeiro. The big modern hotels over on Copacabana and other places around the city are OK, but this is a hotel with history.

On the 4th floor of this hotel, near the elevators, there is a plaque on the wall that notes that this particular suite is where Alfred Einstein completed his theory of the existence of photons, May 1925.

While there are many modern hotels in Rio de Janeiro now, at one time the Gloria was the best of all. It is still a wonderful classical hotel, and this plaque on the wall is just one indication of all the famous people that stayed here on their travels to Rio de Janeiro.

Groentje's Profile Photo

Stylish though not expensive

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 7, 2003

When I arrived, everything was very neatly done. I sent them an e-mail myself to get a quote for a room, and also got a quote from the hotel service at www.ipanema.com; the hotel reservation dept gave me a quote of 65 US$, when ipacom (the travel agency) gave me a quote of 145 R$, which is like 50 US$! That is really cheap when you see that it's a four or five star hotel.
The service at the hotel was really good. The reception is always manned, and a served elevator brings you where you want to go. The first couple of days I had a view on the inner garden, which is absolutely great! See the picture... Inside that garden is the tropical pool, with a small waterfall next to it. This is also the view you get while taking breakfast... I'm telling you: it is bliss!
They even have a doctor at the hotel, which is the first time I've ever seen that.

Unique Quality: Facilities:
Two pools, Four restaurants, Four bars.
The panoramic pool offers a fantastic view on some of Rio's highlights such as the Pao de Acucar.
Rooms are very large, of course air conditioned; great bath rooms with everything you want hygiene-wise. Tvs have pay-per-view, games, ...
Location:
Near Cinelandia, in the Gloria district, so close to Botafogo. A bit further off from Copacabana and Ipanema, though. Taxis are in front of the building, so no need to walk far; for those who do want to have a bit of a walk, go to Lgo. do Machado and take the Metro or Bus there. Metro can also be taken at Gloria, which is not too far.

Directions: Gloria District, near the Flamengo beach and park

CactusJim's Profile Photo

Good only if you get the internet sale

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 14, 2003

This is one of the most famous and oldest hotels in the city. It is closer to the airport and downtown than others, and is still across form a beach. The hotel is very nice, but the rooms are just average. They claim 5 stars but I did not see 2 or 3 of them. The only way I would say stay there is if you get the buffet lunch or dinner included. This is a 40 Reis value per person and the spread is very nice. This special is offered Fri - Sun only over the internet.

Unique Quality: They have a wicked deep pool with two diving boards in a very nice tropical pool area. They also have a smaller heated pool.

Directions: Gloria, close to downtown, a metro connection, the beach.

tijuca's Profile Photo

Grand Old Lady - Hotel Gloria - For History Buffs

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 6, 2003

Unique Quality: The hotel is a Carioca treasure located near downtown and only five minutes from Copacabana and Ipanema beaches. Close, too, to the Cafe Colombo, Rua do Ouvidor, and the Sao Bento Monastery. All great and awesome Brazilian heritage sites. I loved every minute I spent inside the Gloria Hotel. I only regret my stay was so short! Note: you will have to take cabs to the beaches and most places you want to see; the immediate area around the hotel is mainly residential, and downtown is a mile or two away. A unique area in Rio; it's not really downtown, but it's not within walking distance of the beach, either. A car rental would be handy here. It looks like there is parking, too, which was not the case at the Arpoador Inn. There, I discovered the mirror on my VW Bug rental was missing the first morning. I knew I was back in Rio. Que saudades mi deu.

Directions: Flamengo - near Santos DuMont Airport and downtown Rio.

Elainehead's Profile Photo

Tour package hotel

by written on February 25, 2003

They say they are a 4-star hotel, but our room was probably one from a 2-star hotel. It was in the back of hotel, very basic but clean, which is almost impossible to believe that one day this hotel was a glamorous one... At night, it was very noisy outside, but I had lack of sleep and slept eventually. If youcan choose your room, DO NOT choose the ones in the "Anexo" part of the hotel.

Unique Quality: Gloria Hotel is for you if you are not interested in beaches, but want to wake up looking at the Sugar Loaf. The hotel provides several options for your entertainement, including 2 swimming pools; a heated one with panoramic view and a tropical one; two saunas, jogging track, gymnasyum and a pretty tropical garden with green area.

Directions: 5-min drive away from Santos Dumont Domestic Airport, surrounded by Guanabara Bay and Park of Flamengo.

5 Photos of Gloria Hotel

Rio de Janeiro Travel Forum

Need advice about Rio de Janeiro, Brazil? Visit the Travel Forum for Rio de Janeiro and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rio de Janeiro hotel reviews

Maracanã Soccer Stadium
Going by bus
Lapa
Nightlife
Churrascaria (all you can eat)
Casa da Matriz
Off The Beaten Path
Zaza
Petrópolis
Off The Beaten Path
Tremendous trip with my friend Carlos in Rio!!
Corcovado
Pao de Acucar
Recommended visit!
Things to Do
Travel with my friend to Rio !!
A Great Samba Club in the Lapa
Nightlife
Most gorgeous view of the city
Things to Do
Rio seems safe - we had a good time
Things to Do
From Galeão Airport toTerminal Alvorada by BRT.
TIJUCA FOREST : Stunning biodiversity into a city