Grande Hotel Sao Francisco

Rua Visconde de Inhauma 95, Centro, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 20091-000, Brazil
Hotel Sao Francisco
Booking.com Priceline.com Otel.com

More about Rio de Janeiro

me and my loveme and my love

CopacabanaCopacabana

In Travessa do ComércioIn Travessa do Comércio

some guy pissing in the streetsome guy pissing in the street

near or around Rio

by nech56

If we have a few days that we can spend around Rio mid January..are there any interesting places to visit for a day trip or for 2 or 3 days? We are a middle aged couple with interests in culture and nature. We are not interested in beaches, restaurants, or pubs. PLease help.

by bahiana77

You could go to Paraty and Ilha Grande for a feww days, or take a day trip to Petropolis.

by rkearns

yeah i agree. those are pretty rural and off the beaten path places.

by bahiana77

Well, gee whiz, if you agree, it must be good advice. Whoopeee.

by rkearns

you could also take a bus down to itacuruca. it's an archipelago of islands....really beautiful. it's a 1.5 hr bus ride south of rio.

by MoondoggieCA

Petropolis made for a very interesting side trip for my friend and I when we visited Rio de Janeiro last summer.

by MatthewP

Last year I went to see the Christ statue and sugarloaf. It was great!

I went there with Rogerio from "Brazil Guided Tours" and I was very satisfied with him. He speaks english very well and is a really nice guy and easy going person.

Take a look at their page

www.brazilguidedtours.com

by nodd-n

Consider Teresopolis if you like nature, mountains, spectacular views, waterfalls, etc.. about 90. min by car or bus from Copacabana.

Travel Tips for Rio de Janeiro

English-speaking dentist in Rio de Janeiro

by mcmarch

Just in case you need an English-speaking dentist in Rio de Janeiro, I recommend Dr. Priscila Barreto. She's a cosmetic dentist and root canal specialist, very friendly and gentle!

Safe travels!

Beach Life 2

by mustardgirl

Watching surfers & doing general people watching on the beach… and meeting some really
friendly people, who don’t speak English (and unfortunately I don’t speak any Portuguese) and still want to get to know you and your opinion of Brazil. Managed to have quite a few very funny conversations in English-Portuguese-Spanish-French and other languages we could come up with...

CLIMATE

by janaina

Climate is generally tropic,hot,and humid,but because of its geographic location,the city is reached often,specially during autumn and winter,by cold fronts advancing from the Antartic,which cause frequent weather changes.But it's mostly during summer(December to March)that strong showers occur.The mountainous areas register greater rainfall since they constitute a barrier to the humid wind that comes from the Atlantic.The temperature varies according to altitute,distance from the coast,vegetation,etc..Winter(June to September)is very pleasant,with mild temperatures and,in general,less rainy than summer.
The average temperature is around 23c,and in the summer can be around 40c!!

Beach!

by racheljapi

Bring a Sarong NOT A TOWEL! While foreigners always stick out, you look like a total dumb ass and a target when you bring the hotel or beach towel out in Rio. If you don't want to buy a sarong, rent a beach chair on the beach, it's one or two reals. Oh, and rent an umbrella, you will get burnt. The sun is MUCH stronger down there.

Skol

by acemj

The first day I was here, I was walking around Copacabana when it started pouring rain. In order to escape the deluge, I jumped into a Zona Sul store and browsed the small grocery store hoping the rain would let up. When, after 20 minutes or so, it was still raining I decided to stop at a little bar next door for a beer and a quick bite to eat. I had this carne sandwich (good meat) and a Skol beer while I chatted with a local guy named Marco. We had a good conversation by using sign language and my Portuguese phrase book. He didn't speak English but could understand some Spanish and this new acemj sign language I developed especially for this trip! LOL. He loved to talk about music and played the bass in a band when he was younger. Did I mention that Brazilians are really friendly? I bought him an Antarctica beer next and to avoid being rude, had another myself. Marco was the first local Carioca I spoke with besides a taxi driver or hotel employee and he really gave me a good feeling about the friendliness of this town.

Comments