Ipanema Bed and Breakfast

Rua Joana Angelica 61/201 Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22420-030, Brazil

More about Rio de Janeiro

View from our hotel roomView from our hotel room

Sushi barSushi bar

Leblon and Dois IrmãosLeblon and Dois Irmãos

Public TelephonesPublic Telephones

Safety at Ipanema beach

by san4980

I will be staying in Ipanema in Feb and have been told it is safer than most of the other areas. That being said I wanted to know if it's safe to listen to my Ipod at Ipanema beach during the day or if I'm just making myself more of a target. Thanks.

by cassiovieggore

Yesterday a russian tourist had been stealed by a young brazilian in Ipanema beach.
Before listen your Ipod I suggest you go to DEAT (Tourist Police) in order to question them where is safe in Ipanema to enjoy some musics.

Cassiovieggore

by yvr

If you value your Ipod do not take it with you to the beach, do not wear it anywhere you go in Rio, don't wear jewlery, a watch or anything else of any value. As far as the beach is concerned, just how unsafe is it, the times that I have been there on weekends, there were police guarding the entire beach, many with guns, now how safe does that make one feel, for me, not very.

by bahiana77

A general rule for Brazil is not to take anything you would feel badly about losing, or would hesitate one nanosecond to give up. Do not wander off anywhere (deserted streets, parks, open stretches of beach) from numbers of passersby, even if your own alarm bells are not being set off by the situation, and particularly if you are showing your possessions (camera, watch, MP3) openly.

That being said, Rio is not totally the wild west and most tourists report a tranquil stay. You should not have any problems in a populated beach area like a posto in Ipanema with using your iPod while relaxing in your rented chair near the barraca whose owner will be looking out for you.

by HispanicYob

Yes, like most others have said, definitely don't take your cherished electronics to the beach, unless you're someone you know, and even then, it's not guaranteed it won't get stolen. This wasn't at Ipanema, but I actually brought my I-Pod with me when I walked around Botafogo neighborhood and didn't come across any incidents. (I need my music after all). But of course, don't take such a relaxed attitude as I did. It can vary from tourist to tourist. I had a great time in Rio!

by robine

Plenty of locals take their I-pods to the beach. Ipanema (especially around Posto 9) is the best area to be.

Travel Tips for Rio de Janeiro

Take a side trip to Foz do...

by bleeviola

Take a side trip to Foz do Iguazu, the largest waterfalls in the world. Take at least two days so that you can approach the falls from the Brazil side and the Argentina side. The views are quite different. Both countries have national parks that include the falls. On the Argentina side there are catwalks that allow you to get very close to the falls and walk over some of them. The food, although getting mugged after gorging myself on feijoada and getting sick on Copacabana Beach was definitely not a fond memory.

RIO FROM THE EYES OF A "CARIUCHA"

by janaina

As much as I know,Gauchos have a lot of jokes about Cariocas and the oposite even more!
Cariocas are very proud of their famous girls and beaches and their easy lifestyle..they used to say Gauchos have nothing to do in the weekends besides going to the airport area and park their cars near it, watching for hours the airplanes landing and taking off!!
Gauchos say the beaches in Rio are poluted and Cariocas men know only a long blablabla but action is zero(lol),but,I believe both love and respect each other after all,we are at the same land!!
As a mix of both,I suffer from listening both sides jokes and feel a little embarassed to fall in a deep laugh everytime!!
Now,I will put you at the map,telling you some historical facts about Rio:Rio De Janeiro city is located in the Rio De Janeiro State,south east of Brazil.
It's bounded at the East by the Guanabara Bay,on the West and North by forested mountains and on the South by a long beach area.
Its population is estimated in 5.750.000 inhabitants.
Rio is the owner of a magnificient beauty,offering its inhabitants and visitors an unique landscape!Nature perfect matches the seaside with the mountains creating a remarkable view!That's one of reasons why it's called by Brazilians citizens the "Wonderful City".

Réveillon

by MM212

One of the largest celebrations in Rio, only second to Carnival, Réveillon takes place on the spectacular beach of Copacabana. Although borrowed from French, Réveillon is the Portuguese word for New Year's Eve. An estimated 2 million people head to the beach at night, dressed in white and carrying flowers for the sea goddess Yamanjá, who is often referred to as Serena Dama do Mar and portrayed as a pretty, but very vain, goddess (see attached for a photo of a statue of hers in Copacabana). The flowers are thrown in the ocean immediately before the midnight hour with the hope that Yamanjá would grant the wish in the coming year. An incredible bouquet of fire works immediately lights up the skies to celebrate the beginning of the New Year. Many people stay on the beach well into the night dancing, singing and drinking champagne. The lucky hotels and apartments with ocean views along Copacabana have their own private parties. This is a totally safe event and very enjoyable. Remember: dress in white, but add a yellow accessory if you want money or prosperity, green for good health, pink for love, and red for passion! (I think I got the colours right…).

Shopping Malls

by Groentje

Brazilians must be frantic about shopping malls, because I sure saw a lot of them while I was there! I heard that the wealth of a city is equivalent to the number of shopping malls (at least that's what they think), so Rio must be a very rich city.
Almost all of them had cinemas in them as well, so if you want to go and see a movie, just step into one of them malls!

I thank...

by mannymiami

I thank God for letting me have the chance and luck to visit
Rio de Janeiro. But I want to say that I truly fell in Love with
this city. Rio de Janeiro. Its beaches, its mountains
everywhere, its music , the rythim of the city, but most
important to me, its People. I hope that everyone in my country
would get the chance of visiting the country of Brazil and learn
about brotherly love something that I feel we lack from... The
night that I left on my way to the airport crossing the long
Niteroi bridge I was very sad. Ive been back for 3 weeks now
and I can honestly say that I left my soul in Rio. I thank the city
of Rio and the country of Brazil for taking us in her arms as if
we where one of her own and showing us a beautiful time. I
will truly come back for your joy and laughter.. Thank You
Brazil and may God bless this beautiful country....

Comments