Mar Ipanema

Rua Visconde de Pirajá 539, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22410-003, Brazil

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Rated 13% higher but also costs 73% more than other 3 star hotels

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Great Location

We were happy with our choice to stay here. It is a good location ,close to the beach and shopping .The room was comfortable with a mini bar , hairdryer and a huge breakfast buffet .I loved the coconut buns!

This is a verysafe convenient location .We would stay here again!

• Great Location, Excellent Service

I was really impressed by this Hotel. The hotel is very well located. Two blocks from Beach, right in the middle of shopping area and restaurants. The concierge is very helpful and they always have someone at the front desk who speaks English. The price includes free breakfast and it was really helpful for our stay. The grocery store (Zona Sul) is right across the street and that helped us buy snacks, water, etc.

Also in Rio we traveled everywhere except to and from the Airport by public transportation (Onibus). The bus stop is right outside the hotel.

I am pleased with the Hotel.

• Tourists beware

I stayed here during Carnaval and was excited considering the location and what appeared to be a nice hotel. The hotel itself was decent, and the adjoining restaurant was very good, despite some of the worst service I receive in all of Rio (15 minutes for someone to give us menus!). However, that's about all the positives I can give this place. The people at reception were incompetent and rude to no end. They try to rip off tourists with their lousy overpriced tours and ticket prices to events. They couldn't even give us correct directions to places just down the street. One evening they sent us to one of the worst areas in Leblon/Ipanema at 1 in the morning, when our destination was literally 4 blocks away. Luckily nothing happened to us, but the locals we told were amazed we weren't robbed or worse.
    The absolute worst was when our friends who lived in Rio, after all of us coming back from the beach, were not allowed in our room to use the restroom. 3 security guard came into our room to escort them out. When we complained we were never told of this rule, and never signed anything acknowledging this rule, we were told that it was on the back of our room door. The only thing on the back of the door was the escape plan. How you can be a paying customer and them not allow ANYONE to come to your room is outrageous. Anyone staying here needs to be aware of these sneaky maneuvers as it was a large hinderance to our trip.
    I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Look somewhere else or rent an apartment in the city. I certainly wish I had.

Unique Quality: nothing. Horribly old computer with a keyboard that sticks, and only one computer for the ENTIRE hotel. A joke.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Nice tourist hotel.

Mar ipanema is a very well located tourist hotel right in the center of Ipanema.
    The rooms are not the biggest i have seen in Rio, but the location is perfect right in the best part of Rio and the front desk staff is nice and the place has a nice breakfast restaurant too.
    It's a very nice alternative to the hotels in sleazy and tacky Copacabana.

Unique Quality: Perfect location.

Directions: Right in the main shopping street in Ipanema, just before you get to Leblon.

• Ifarema's Profile Photo

A decent hotel for a decent price.

I had a pleasant time. The restaurant downstairs was good, There was no view to speak of, but it was close to the beach. Easy walking around to various restaurants. There is even a small theater within walking distances.

• uvaspy's Profile Photo

Exceeding my expectations

This place was fantastic in every way. This hotel is very affordable and is in a fantastic location. The staff spoke english and is alway smiling to help you catch a cab. We found the cab calling helpful because they can translate to the cab driver where you need to go. The hotel also was very modern in its design. Lights in the hallways were automatic and the electricity turns off itself a couple of minutes after you leave the room. The hotel provided free breakfast buffet which was very good. The hotel also provides beach towers, chairs, and umbrellas for you to take to the beach. Also the hotel provided the best exchange rate we found in Rio.

Cost: 5 nights for two people with breakfast $560.00

Unique Quality: Very cool modern design in the rooms. The clear refrigerator was my favoriate. We had to leave our bags with the front desk for a couple of hours and they took extra measures to make sure there was no breach of security. They tagged each zipper on the bag with a unique number, so it really made us feel safe to leave it with the hotel staff. The plugs were equipped to handle the US appliances, I did not need to use a converter. The plugs were interchangable with another type of plug, but I am not sure what kind (european?)

Directions: About two and half blocks from the beach and right next to the shopping district. Also a short walk from Leblon.

More about Mar Ipanema

Nice moderate priced hotel

by Porteno about Hotel Mar Ipanema

For some reason many hotels were booked solid and barely got a room here. The first night our room was a triple on the first floor and was OK but not great, wall to wall twin beds. The next day the very nice front desk thought they could move us to a better room that afternoon which they did. All the way to the top floor and a view of Corcorvado. So we were very pleased. Now down to two beds and much more room. Breakfast was included and was more than I expected. Full American breakfast or a choice of more European and South American breakfast. Tons of fresh fruit and juices so I was happy. And all for 265 Rs a night which to me was a great bargain. Hotel even furnishes beach chairs and towels. One word of caution, do not use their long distance for international calls. I had to cal my office in New York and instead of waiting to buy a phone card on the news stand called the number on their bedside card and charged to my credit card. Rude shock when my short call was billed at $47.00 gads. Just a nice mid priced hotel, good service and breakfast. Nice location two blocks off the beach.

by Carlos436

Can anyone please give me some information about this hotel? Is it okay? Safe?
Thanks!

RE: Mar Ipanema Hotel

by BigBadBill

I do not know that exact hotel. I know Ipanema area.
I have lived and worked in Brasil for 15 years, it is no more dangerous than any big city, anywhere. Dont go into nogo areas, keep to the main track til you find your way around. Dont wander around telling everybody you dont know where your going and what you are doing. Find an Irish bar as quickly as you can, there are several, plus Lord Jims or similar where all the expats and gringos go. Dont worry. Rio has such bad press. It just aint true.

Good luck

BBB

RE: Mar Ipanema Hotel

by robine

I've seen it from the outside only, but it seems fine, and is certainly in a safe area.

Comments