Martinique Copa Hotel

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 14% higher than other 3 star hotels

• Excellent Value Hotel

This hotel seems to have many different names... I stayed at the Hotel Martinique on Rua Sa Fereirra in Copacabana, part of the Windsor chain. It was definitely one of the better hotels for the price. My room had a great view, comfortable and clean beds, a clean bathroom with hot water and hairdryer, cable tv with a few good english channels, a stocked minibar, alarm clock, direct dial phone, and cable internet access for those who have their laptop. The staff was very nice, the breakfasts are great! And there is a pool/exercise room/bar on the roof. I also took one of their taxis back to the airport which was a pretty good deal at 65 reals.

More about Martinique Copa Hotel

Good stay at Martinique Copa

by TripAdvisor Member jwadem

For a longish business trip, I started out in an overpriced hotel in Ipanema, but switched after two days to Martinique Copa after stopping by to get a quote and see a room. The service has been personalized, the staff friendly, and the room pleasant. The breakfast (included) has plenty of fresh fruit and enough variety to keep it interesting for more than a week. The hotel is next to Copacabana beach and walking distance from Ipanema beach. Internet is included (bring your own cable). I will stay here again when I come back to Rio- Martinique Copa has everything necessary and just enough extra to make it a really great deal in this part of the city.

Great hotel; close to the beach!

by TripAdvisor Member jrabbit

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at the Martinique Copa Hotel after reading positive reviews from Tripadvisor. My boyfriend booked this hotel for us.

When we arrived we were greeted by courteous doormen and taken care of the rest of the way.

Our room was on the second floor and it was a standard room. Oh, by the way, the elevators, although there are like 3, they are so tiny. Maybe like 3 Nicole Ritchies can fit in each of them.

Our room had no good view. But when you come to Rio, who wants a view from their HOTEL ROOM. That's boring anyways. It was a good sized room for a couple and was very clean. The bathroom was nice and a good size. Marble everywhere! The shower was great.

It's located between Copacabana and Ipanema, but in Copacabana. Ipanema is SOOOO much better and nicer. Well, Ipanema has this sewer thing, but the guys and girls are hotter there ;)

Ok back to the hotel. You have countless groceries, shops and restaurants and banks nearby, and the nightlife is great. The hotel staff are so friendly and take care of you.

In the check-in, they wanted my boyfriend's credit card for some sort of pre-authorization. He just handed them the card and thought everything was fine. When we checked out, we paid by cash and went away. Almost a week later (like two weeks after the check-in), when he tried to use his credit card again, he found out he had no limit left, because the pre-authorization hadn't been removed! BEWARE OF THIS!!!

Otherwise it was a peaceful, wonderful, hot week in Rio!

Very good hotel, better location.

by TripAdvisor Member Yerko

Breakfasts were the best... very helpful people work here. I was with my girlfriend 8 days, and we enjoyed a lot this hotel: is near the beach, near the Copacabana downtown, banks, public telephones stores and everything.
I really recommend Martinique Copa for its prices and comfort.

Excellent location, very clean rooms!

by TripAdvisor Member pj813

We stayed at the Martinique Copa during Reveillon, so it wasn't cheap. Thus it's difficult to comment on the value, but the hotel was excellent! The staff spoke English and were very helpful. They even have a money exchange at the front desk, and I got a better rate there than at the AmEx travel bureau.
Overall, the hotel was very clean and modern. The rooms were a little on the small side, but we were travelling for 2 1/2 weeks and had lots of luggage. Furniture was modern, rooms were very clean. The walls were a little thin, though, and it was quite noisey in the mornings, with slamming doors, screaming kids. The elevator is also quite loud, so request a room further away from the elevator. It's very close to the beach, and tons of restaurants. You can easily go to Copacabana or Ipanema. Great location! A word of warning, don't take a taxi that is waiting in front of the hotel. Every time we did, we got ripped off by almost double the price. There are pleny of cabs if you go around the corner either to the left or right.

Unreal service for this price and location

by TripAdvisor Member SunrunnerSeattle

I read several reviews before booking here, and have to say that this hotel is above and beyond any expectations I already had before we arrived. Part of the Winsor hotel chain, the Martinique Copa is one block in from the beach (not a big deal and cuts down on street noise as well as drops room costs), closer to Ipanema Beach than to Leblon. One of it's sister hotels (Miramar) is on Avenida Atlantica if you are looking for similar service but with an ocean view. If you want to save some cash, get fantastic service, a clean & safe room that is centrally located, this is your hotel.

I booked via Expedia for $93/night which was for a Superior, Non-smoking room. Upon checkin, we learned that the non-smoking floor is the 5th- high enough to keep street noise to a minimum. As it turns out, our superior room cost ($7/night more than their standard room fee) also resulted in a partial ocean view- from the 5th floor this is pretty nice. Some other benefits of this hotel are:

- Free high speed Internet (hotel has cables, but it might be good to bring your own just incase they are short).
- Complementary breakfast with quite a wide selection of food choices was included in our package.
- Almost the entire staff speaks English.. somewhat hard to come by in Rio.
- Overwhelmingly friendly and helpful doormen than go out of their way to assist you (they walked my fiancee' to the nearest ATM when we were looking for one).
- Extremely clean throughout- including the bathrooms, bedrooms, clean sheets, lobby, restaurant, and rooftop pool/bar.
- Just about every type of restaurant, tour, or package you are interested in- the concierge can assist you with price competitive alternatives.
- Right in the center of the action for Copacabana at the "nicer", less seedy side. 1 block away from the night market and within walking distance of the fort and Ipanema Beach.

Ok so get this. One night we had some leftover Filet Mignon that we brought back and had in our fridge. At 12:45am I walked down to the front desk w/ it in a bag and asked if they had a microwave I could borrow. Instead, they insisted on taking the bag, heating it up for us, setting it up on 2 plates, and bringing it to our room! All at no cost.

Comparisons: Travelocity rates Othon Palace high. As it turns out, this is where tour operators like to drag their people and it's looking worn and torn. Sheraton is also rated high on this site- very high actually. That hotel looks fantastic, but is remote and looks like you need a taxi to get anywhere.

Overall- this hotel is great. I'd recommend it for anyone that I spoke with who was heading this way.

Hotel link: [------]

Good location, nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Novello

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel; the reception desk staff were very helpful, despite the lack of a smile, but the porters and security men made up for them. The location is excellent, adjacent to Copacobana Beach and a main thoroughfare; and despite the horror stories of Rio, I felt safe there all the time.
Good breakfasts, the only disappointments were a rather gloomy room, with no rugs, and the curtains and bedcover were long overdue a visit to the laundry. No internet access, but there was a good cheap one just around the corner.

Good solid hotel JimmyEye's/Glasgow

by TripAdvisor Member JimmyEye's

Stayed here over carnival in Feb for five nights and would reccomend it.Staff were very helpful and friendly,room was nice and clean ,breakfast was a good bonus.The location is okay you are handy for the beach and not to far from Ipanema which is nicer than copacobana.In fact the further along you go, say as far as leblon the nicer it gets, so if I visit rio again I would think about staying nearer or in Leblon.We had no safety problems etc although during carnival lots of cops were about! Just be sensible and don't flash the cash etc and you will be fine.Visit the Rio Scenarium bar/club in Lapa but take a taxi and ask to be dropped at the door and save yourself a walk!

This hotel has everything you need and is near the beach

by TripAdvisor Member Dudee

This hotel is not fancy but has everything you need including a very adequate breakfast that is included with the room. The beach is 1/2 block away. Nearby are banks, restaurants and a small market. The hotel was clean and the staff very attentive. Roof top pool and fitness center was nice.

SunRunner is Right!

by TripAdvisor Member BlueDemon

I just checked out of this hotel June 18th and wanted to write a great review about it - but SunRunner has beat me to it!! This place is a great value for all the reasons he mentioned. I had a couple of empanadas left over that I wanted re-heated, so I went down to the kitchen area and asked them to pop them into the microwave. They said they did not have a microwave like Sun Runner said. But they did not offer to heat them up some other way for me!!! buahhh! hahaha - We had a great time at this place. I stayed 5 nights

Copacabana, Martinique Rio Hotel

by Dakota20

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on staying in Copacabana, versus Ipanaema and Leblon. We thought to visit Rio the first week in September. after reading the reviews I kind of made up my mind to Stay at the Martinique hotel in Copa. Well today I spent some time looking at RIO on this site and it starting to appear very unsafe. I did my time in the military and have no desire to put myself at significant risk, just for a holiday. I'm traveling with my wife and expect to do tourist things, shopping, site seeing, dining etc (we are not big beach people). Two Questions. One is Copacabana safe to stay in in? Would Ipanema or Leblon be significantly better? I'm from Chicago and have stayed in many large cities but from the comments I'm seeing about Rio it maybe the worst. Thugs don't wander the streets of most cities plundering the visitors. The second question is it a fun city to play tourist in. Thanks in advance. Dakota

by RicardoBA

Hi,
If you have a choice, then stay in Ipanema/Leblon. These are the safest parts of the cities. The beach at Ipanema is beautiful and the area has some of the best restaurants in the city. You'll feel alot safer walking in the evening. Ipanema has great shopping and you don't have those shady nightclubs which you see in Copa.
Rio is one of the most exciting, fun and beautiful cities which I have visited.
I never felt unsafe while I stayed in Ipanema, but exercised added caution and awareness at the suggestion of my friends who live there. If you go out late(after 11PM) to a club, then take a taxi.
During the day, I have taken the city bus to both Corcorvado and Sugar Loaf for sightseeing without any problems.
There are some great day escorted trips to the islands south of the city and a trip to Buzios is nice.
Have a great time!
Cheers!!

by robine

Rio is one of the great cities of the world, but yes, Copa can be a bit dodgy. Ipanema is much pleasanter, and safer. Enjoy!

Thanks for both your replies. We will stay in Leblon. Dakota

by SaoPaulo-Dude

Leblon is the best, but further away from most of attractions

I always stay in Ipanema. It is the best area for a tourist.

Easier to move around and very safe compared to Copacabana.

I don't recommend Copa at any circusntance.

by mickeyboy11

stay in ipanema as in the middle of both copa and leblon,copa a little touristy and hectic but ipanema and leblon really chill, great city wish i had had more time there

by Dakota20

Thanks again. I think we are going to stay at the Best Western in Ipanema. We'll let you know how it goes. Dakota

by robine

If that's the Sol Ipanema, I've stayed there, and it's comfortable and very well-located.

Comments