Oceano Copacabana

See Hotels with Better Ratings

Tags

Beaches Water Sports Festivals
See Amenities

Two Star at Best. Don't Stay There!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 8, 2010

I go to Copacabana at least five times a year on business. I always like to try different hotels when I visit. This one was a major mistake. To begin with the Front Office manager was extremely rude and uncooperative. I don't remember his name but it was a four letter word starting with an E or O. Stay away from him!!! The room was small, the bed cushion was paper thin and the bed was tiny. The carpet was old and smelled really bad. The air con did not work well. The TV was 14 inches and barely works. The elevators broke twice. Once I waited for 20 minutes and the second time I just decided to go up the stairs to my apartment on the 6th floor. The breakfast was ok. Not that great compared to any other Rio hotels. The bathroom was ok as well but the amenities were horrible. Bring your own shampoo and soap. They also charged $5 to use the safe deposit box in the room. This hotel location was very nice but they desperately need renovations and training starting with the FOM. If Rio wants to get ready for World Cup, they better get their act together. If I was a first timer and my only hospitality experience was at the Oceano hotel I not only would never comeback but I would also make sure I tell my friend. One last word…Embratur please revise this hotel star rating. I would be generous to give them a two star. I would have a better experience at Super 8.

Unique Quality: Good location. That is about it!

Directions: Copacabana Beach

MJRydsFast's Profile Photo

Stayed her 2001 and 2004, surprised by bad reviews

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 26, 2010

I stayed here in 2001 for two weeks and 2004 for ten days. The staff manager was the same (Reuben) and very very helpful. Zero complaints other than the noise seemed to reverberate through the buildings there a lot but no worse than NYC. I am surprised at the negative reviews and feel sorry everyone couldn't share my experience there.

Unique Quality: I just plain liked the staff. No real complaints. Rooms clean and comfortable and well serviced.

Directions: It's been too long. Close to beach and internet cafe but that's all I remember.

toonsarah's Profile Photo

Stone's throw from Copacabana

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 27, 2008

You pay a premium in Rio for a hotel on Copacabana, but this is the next best option, a hotel just one block from the sea. In fact, we did have a view of the sea from our small balcony, albeit a sideways one, and could be on Avenida Atlântica in just two minutes’ walk from the door of the hotel.

As well as having a balcony with a view, our room was a reasonable size for a three star hotel, with a private bathroom, safe, TV and air-conditioning. The breakfast here was particularly good, with lots of fresh tropical fruit (including my favourite mango), pastries, breads and excellent coffee. There is a small bar in the lobby for the obligatory caipirinha nightcap, and a restaurant (which we didn’t visit apart from at breakfast). There is also a small roof-top pool, which again we didn’t make use of, although we did go up there to take some photos!

Current prices for a double room in October (when we travelled) are about £50 or US$100, which may not sound cheap but I think is good value for this location.

Directions: One block from the sea about halfway along the bay

Nearby Oceano Copacabana

Oceano Copacabana

• Hotel Oceano Copacabana

Address: Rua Hilario de Gouvea, 17, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22040-020, Brazil

2 Photos of Oceano Copacabana

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Oceano Copacabana

• Swimming Pool
  • Room Service
  • Business Services
  • Free High Speed Internet

Rio de Janeiro Travel Forum

Need advice about Rio de Janeiro, Brazil? Visit the Travel Forum for Rio de Janeiro and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rio de Janeiro hotel reviews

Botanical Garden
Going by bus
Lapa
Nightlife
Churrascaria (all you can eat)
Casa da Matriz
Búzios
Off The Beaten Path
Petrópolis
Off The Beaten Path
Tremendous trip with my friend Carlos in Rio!!
Corcovado
Pao de Acucar
Recommended visit!
Things to Do
Travel with my friend to Rio !!
A Great Samba Club in the Lapa
Nightlife
Most gorgeous view of the city
Things to Do
Rio seems safe - we had a good time
Things to Do
From Galeão Airport toTerminal Alvorada by BRT.
TIJUCA FOREST : Stunning biodiversity into a city