3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

AV ATLANTICA 4122, Rio De Janeiro, RI 22070-002

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• midnight_mike's Profile Photo

Nice hotel, but no balconies

The Orla Hotel is at the western edge of Copacabana, about five minutes from Ipanema. It is across the street from the beach. The rooms are clean and the air conditioning worked well, but I did not like the fact that there were no balconies. The hotel does have a tiny rooftop pool. A review can be found in Frommer's, although I think the reviewer was a little too generous in his/her praise.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

On the beach at Copacabana

We booked our hotel in a package through Go Today, this was the mid level hotel option for Rio. Situated on Av. Atlantica, the main road that travels along the Copacabana beach, it was in a good location, within walking distance of both Ipanema beach and Copacabana beach. There was also quite a few restaurants, mainly tourist oriented, along Av. Atlantica and at least one disco, Help, which the guidebooks say is a mixture of young male tourists and prostitutes (needless to say, we didn't go in). We walked along Av. Atlantica in the evening with no problems, it might get a little rougher later at night after everyone has a few drinks in them and the guidebooks suggest walking on the hotel side instead of the beach side.

Unique Quality: We had a standard room, it was nothing special but it was clean and comfortable. Room amenities included air conditioning, a small refrigerator, TV. An in room safe is available at an additional daily cost. Some rooms may have views of the ocean but ours was not one of them as you can see from the attached photo.

The bathroom was nice, plenty of hot water, toileteries were limited so bring your own. I didn't see a hair dryer but I didn't really need one.

Breakfast is included in the rate and it was a pretty good breakfast buffet with standard fare such as eggs, bacon, fruit, toast, pastries, juice and a couple of unusual items like bananas in caramel and french toast that didn't need syrup.

The hotel has a rooftop pool but when we went to look at it we both burst out laughing. Maybe frogs could do laps in here but not humans! But there's a splendid view from the rooftop patio of the Copacabana beach and Sugarloaf.

• Location

The location of the hotel was good, although I booked a superior room, it was a matchbox.
    If you have a room with a window facing the extractor fans from the kitchen, ask to be moved straight away or anytime someone orders some room service, you’re going to know about it.

The reception staff were so so, the staff in the kitchen for breakfasts were excellent and really friendly.

If you book tours through the reception, they use the most expensive tour operator they can find for sure, i suggest finding the tour operator yourself.

• Emile72's Profile Photo

Good Location, Good Breakfast, Average Rooms

I stayed 2 nights in the Orla hotel during the Carnival in Rio. The location is splendid. As the name "Orla Copacabana" says it is right at the Copacabana beach and also very close to the Ipanema beach. The breakfast is great. At first glance it doesn't look anything special, but once you taste the fresh fruits, you just can't stop. The rooms were nothing special. The sound of the airco felt like you sleeping next to a plane engine. There were some 'interesting' insects in the bathroom. All in all nothing special. I won this trip so, didn't have to pay for the hotel, but from what I've heard it is not that cheap, so better find another place in Rio.

Directions: Right at the Copacabana, south end.

More about Orla Copacabana Hotel

At the Copa, Copacabana....

by kimberlyfisher1 about Orla Copacabana Hotel

Loved this great high-rise on the main street of Copacabana Beach! Rooms were very small, but very modern and done in muted tones. The location is convenient to everything, and the staff is helpful. The rooftop "pool" is actually jacuzzi-sized, but if your like most people you'll be spending more time out on the town than in the hotel. ~centrally located to nightlife, feet from the beach, downtown and minutes from Ipanema

~free Wireless internet

~swimming pool/hot tub

~air conditioning

~complimentary breakfast

~great service

A good place to stay in Rio

We stayed at the Orla for 6 nights in March 2006. We had taken the hotel off the internet and not having any Portuguese did not really know what to expect. We need not have worried. The hotel is at the Ipanema end of Copacabana beach and the view of Copacabana from the hotel sun deck on the roof is outstanding both by day and night. Our room was on the 13th floor and we had a great view of the back of the hotel and TV aerials. However, it was very handy for the sun deck and the room was clean. The shower was the best we had on our entire round the world trip!! The fruit at breakfast was also the best we had on the trip. In fact the breakfast was excellent but avoid the bacon which is far too salty (a problem we found elsewhere in Rio). We ate a couple of times in the hotel in the evening and this was fine and not expensive. This hotel is the only place we have ever visited where the reception staff gave us a lecture on arrival about not wearing jewellery and watches or carrying cameras outside. All a bit worrying. But we did walk around the immediate area without any problems and went to restaurants in the evening, again on foot and without any problems. We booked a day trip visiting the Sugar Loaf, Christ Statue etc through the hotel reception and this was well worth the money. The outside pool on the roof is pretty small but adequate. Most of the guests seemed to be there to do trips or were on business. I would recommend this hotel and for the location it was not expensive.

Robbed at the Orla

I stayed 1 night at the Orla and within 2 hours of checking in I had someone with a key enter my room multiple times over a period of 2.5 hours and take US$7000 in electronic equipment. The hotel had all of this on surveilance cameras, yet they have not tried to do anything to compensate my loss. I would not advise anyone to use this hotel. I think it was an inside job.

A pleasant beach boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ShaunNJ

I'd read mostly positive things about the Orla, and I wasn't disappointed myself. We had to wait a bit for a room to become available - which isn't bad service, it's typical of hotels throughout the world. Hopefully guests will remember this when requesting a late checkout for themselves.

While waiting, we had drinks on the rooftop sun deck. The views were breathtaking from there. It was a great sunny day. The pool was small, more of a plunge pool which allows for short laps. The fitness center, up a few steps on the next level was very small, and only had a few basic machines. Not on par with fitness centers at gyms, on cruise ships, or in chain hotels. Luckily, a major (Rio) gym was just 3 blocks away if I wanted a workout.

Our room was on the 10th floor, and faced the back of the hotel, overlooking Avenida N.S. Copacabana. We could see over some buildings towards the see off nearby Ipanema. The room had a nice spacious bath, very comfortable beds, nice design and furniture, but no closet or storage space, other than under the beds or in dressers. No problem, as we didn't need to hand anything, but others may have issues with this. The TV had English and Portugues language stations, the few times we watched.

The ground level restaurant was intimate, with good breakfast buffets of various meats, cheeses, breads, an abundance of fruits and vegetables - some of which are uncommon in North America. Lots of juices and an attentive staff. It was nicely designed with glass walls overlooking the laundry and street/beach. There is a chic lobby bar also. The staff was nice, and remembered your name/room number when you returned and needed to retrieve your key (which can be left with the front desk when departing). The reception desk was often busy, so there could sometimes be a wait if you needed to speak with them.

We had a very nice experience. Always a clean room, no surly staff, or thefts, or other negative events. The hotel even gave us a very good currency exchange rate - more as a service than to make money themselves. But - the Orla is a narrow mid-block building. Very few rooms face the ocean, or even the back - some overlook the side courts/air shafts of neighboring apartment buildings. My room and rooms being clean as I passed were all small in size - which may be disappointing to people used to American sized rooms which are the size of apartments. If you've stayed in typical rooms in Europe, it won't be a shock. If you prefer lot's of space or live in a McMansion, this may not be the best choice for you.

The Orla's beachfront location, the price, and easy proximity to Ipanema, Arpoador beaches and Copacabana just outside are hard to find elsewhere. I will stay again in 2007.

9/10 for effort, 6/10 for achievement

by TripAdvisor Member hols.away

We changed room 3 times in 7 nights ! because we booked beachfront and they kept sayin we dont have it but try here ,try there. They did try ill give them that but we werent best pleased.

The hotel was kind of old looking, it had an aww factor, its trying to be like its neighbours but is just a little too old to keep up.

good points
-ok location ( come out walk left after 6pm and continue down and you come to a little market where you get some good stuff)
- english speaking check in staff
- pool, gym, sauna
- good break fasts

bad points
- the pool is small and cold so i didnt go in once but the sauna and gym was nice.
-the restaurant staff dont speak much english so you order fish and get tea :) that was funny at least.
- the cab lot outside will charge you R$15 for a trip down the rd but it costs R$8, so never take the first price, act outraged and give a ridiculously low number and then agree to a more average price that always calmed them down.
Dont let them use a meter, its a rip off technique, make them give you a price. they charged us ridiculous amounts before we discovered that.
- there is a dodgy bell boy ( man) who will offer you trips , which we didnt take up as i like to keep ALL my money, strange quirk of mine

Great Service and Location

by TripAdvisor Member GatorFTL

I looked for a hotel on Trip Advisor for a hotel in Rio after having a hard time finding a hotel due to New Year Party. I chose this hotel after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor. I am glad I did!!

Orla is located on the end of Copacobana Beach closest to Ipanema----the less seedy side. There were great views of the beach from the roof top pool, and the hotel was pretty modern and clean. The only negative would be the worn out carpets.

The best part about the hotel had to be the service. The staff genuinely went out of it's way, above and beyond the norm. The room service was the quickest I've ever seen. I did read some comments about staff rudeness, but I wonder if this may be more of a cultural difference than rudeness. I speak English, Spanish, and understand some Portuguese----which is very helpful in Brazil.

For the price, this hotel is certainly a bargain, and the staff makes it a likely stop if I were to return to Rio again.

by rkalu

Has anyone ever stayed at this hotel. Please can someone give me a review is this a good hotel ?????

Re: Orla Copacabana Hotel

by pglands

Hi,
I've not stayed at the hotel because I live in Rio. However I can assure you that the Orla Copacabana is a good hotel, very well located with many apartments facing the beach of Copacabana.
I've heard from people that stayed there that it offers most of the services one may expect from a good hotel.
I don't recall it's rating but I think that it is at least a 3 star hotel..
Have a nice trip.