Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel

Avenida Atlantica 1500, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22021-000, Brazil

Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Rated 13% higher but also costs 44% more than other 4 star hotels

• NedHopkins's Profile Photo

A first-class hotel

We stayed in Rio de Janeiro four (4) nights at the beginning of our three-week trip to Brazil and three (3) nights at the end, visiting Ouro Preto and Congonhas, then Manaus and a Rio Negro jungle lodge in between.

The Rio Internacional is an outstanding hotel. Our room was large and well appointed, with two (2) double beds, a wide and deep balcony, and a spectacular view of Copacabana beach. The price was right, too: US$176 per night.

Some have complained about the hotel's location -- and about being hassled by beggars and prostitutes. We met with nothing objectionable, even when we returned to the hotel late at night. From our balcony, however, we did notice up to a dozen streetwalkers -- in the wee hours -- in the block between the Rio Internacional and the Copacabana Palace.

Unique Quality: The small rooftop pool was closed ('for maintenance') during most of our stay.

The complimentary breakfast was lavish and good. Even the bacon, usually mangled in Brazil, was nicely prepared. At our one dinner in the hotel we ate at the unreasonably early hour -- for Brazilians -- of 8pm. We were the only diners until Brazilians began to arrive at 9:30.

Our only disappointment was the tour we booked, through the hotel, for dinner and the Plataforma show. We asked to eat in Plataforma's own, superb rodizio; instead we were taken to a mediocre churrascurria in Ipanema. We also asked to be seated in Plataforma's balcony; we were told it was closed, though we saw others sitting there. (I should have booked, as I did on a previous visit, directly with Plataforma.)

Directions: About four (4) blocks south of Av Princessa Isabel.

• Gwynethart's Profile Photo

Beach View

Well, this is where I stayed when I was in Rio for work! It was right in front of the Copacabana beach, and we were surrounded by shops and restaurants.

Unique Quality: The people at the front desk were very helpful, and they also have guys connected with the hotel who work on the beach that will rent out beach chairs, bring you drinks and snacks, and watch your things while you swim. It was very clean, and there is a nice rooftop terrace with a small pool.

Directions: Av. Atlantica, 1500 - Copacabana - Rio de Janeiro - RJ - CEP 22.021-000

• glabah's Profile Photo

Great Roof Views

I was part of a missions group that stayed here during 1998. As I only paid a total trip cost, I dont know how much it cost. The price has gone up since then, I'm certain.

Unique Quality: Pool on roof and provides a great view of Copacabana, Ocean, mountains, and Corcovado.

Directions: Copacabana Beach

More about Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel

Excellent location and hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Parrys

The Porto Bay Rio Internacional was an excellent choice for our 2 days in Rio following a cruise around the southern parts of South America. The hotel is located across the street from Copacabana beach - a beautiful location with lots to see and do. Contrary to what we had been told, we felt very safe walking around during our 2 days in Rio, particularly in that part of town. The hotel was a suite hotel with a European feel to it. The rooms were very comfortable with all amenities and we had a small balcony overlooking the beach - although it was a side room. The breakfast was included and was excellent. Service top notch in every way. We asked for an early check in when booking via e-mail. We were in our room at 9:30 in the morning. We asked for a late check out and were able to stay in the room until 4 pm and then they stored our luggage and encouaged us to use the pool area until it was time to take a taxi to the airport. They arranged for Samba show tickets and gave us free use of a couple of bikes which we used to bike the length of both Copacabana and Ipanema beaches. The hotel was next to shops and restaurants. We would love to return to Rio and stay at the Porto Bay another time. Excellent choice.

Great stay in Rio

by TripAdvisor Member Noredestino

I wanted a special stay with my partner on a long Brasilan weekend in Rio. I had stayed at the Copacabana Palace, and Rio Othon, and had been dissapointed by both. I read reviews of the Porto Bay at this webiste and liked what I saw.
Booked myself for a stay in the deluxe sea facing room. The handling of my reseravtion was exceptional. I wrote to the hotel requesting airpot pick up and a late check out on the last day. Both requests were promplty replied to in the positive.On arrival, the car was waiting..
Check in was quick and efficient. The room was absolutely amazing.The balcony was everything it promised to be. Superb view of the beach . The balcony is large and comfortable. The room furnishings are first class. And the toilet very well appointed.Breakfast at the restaurant is good, but having it served at the balcony is a great experience!
All in all, one of my best hotel stays and I would definitely stay here again.

What a nice place

by TripAdvisor Member ExeterHector

Stayed in Rio for 10 days at the begining of October while on holiday. Its a long way to go from Devon, so decided to splash out on a deluxe room facing the beach at Porto bay.

When I arrived they said all the deluxe rooms were booked so I was upgraded to a 19th floor suite (very nice).

Overall the hotel was excellent. Perfect location, good service and good food. Plenty of restaraunts and bars just round the corner with very reasonable prices.

My Favorite Hotel in Rio

by TripAdvisor Member hug_a_sloth

I absolutely love this hotel. I have stayed at the Atlantica Copacabana, Luxor Regente, and California Othon on Avenida Atlantica, as well, but this hotel is a small gem and far and away my favorite. The staff are wonderful-- so incredibly accomodating and helpful. The facilities are lovely-- rooms are simple and elegant and very, very clean, which has not been my experience in a lot of hotels along Av. Atlantica. The exercise room is very nice and the bar/pool area is great. Breakfast is served in a lovely room with views of the ocean.

I am most impressed by the incredible service we have received here. I have stayed on 3 occassions, one of which was unplanned. The Porto Bay was supposed to be booked for the weekend, so we were forced to book at the Excelsior, instead, which turned out to be a nightmare. After a long, exhausting trip, we arrived at the Excelsior to find that the manager had given our room away to a tour group and was trying to transfer us to a less nice, "cheaper" (his word) hotel also owned by the Windsor group. When we argued that we had been confirmed at the Excelsior and had no desire to stay somewhere "cheaper," the manager told us that if we tried to go to another hotel he would charge us for our room, anyway. It was staggeringly unimpressive.

We called the Porto Bay in total desperation, and not only did they prepare a room for us immediately, but they upgraded us to their nicest suite for the same price as a regular room, and sent champagne, chocolate, and flowers up free of charge. I am in Rio frequently and I will never, ever stay anywhere else.

Great location but otherwise disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member sxeagle

As per previous reviews the location opposite Copacabana is great and we experienced no signs of the seedy characters and vice some other reviewers report - in fact we walked in the area day and into late evening without any bother. The glass of Brazilian sparkling wine (surprisingly good) on arrival was also a very pleasant surprise but, regretably, our overall experience of the hotel was rather disappointing, although here I exclude the staff all of whom were very pleasant and helpful.

The first room we were allocated was a large corner unit with fantastic views of the beach through huge windows. Unfortunately, there was no sound proofing at all - not even basic double glazing - and the traffic noise was intolerable from the extremely busy coastal road in front of the hotel. We were shown another higher, side room which again had no double glazing (apparently none of the bedrooms have this basic feature) but was far quieter. It was, however, much smaller (although the air-conditioning was unable to cool even this small room) but a double and single bed were squeezed into it. With just 2 drawers of storage space which my wife utilised, my clothes were piled onto the corner table. On the plus side though, the bathroom was fine, the shower was powerful, and there was a plentiful supply of towels, amenities, etc. Also, by craning ones neck you could see Corcovado. Noisy rooms seemed to be an issue with other guest too from their conversations with us.

Because of our relatively late arrival we didn't want a full meal so we were directed to the lobby bar for a snack, but on ordering a sandwich and a simple alternative we were advised that there would be a 45-60 minute wait! Fortunately another guest who was familiar with the area advised us of a fast-food outlet just 50 metres from the hotel where we enjoyed a super roast chicken meal with all the trimmings and a beer for substantially less cost than the price of one hotel snack (and without any wait).

The inclusive breakfast was good, albeit the dining room was crowded both mornings we were there and if you sit at a non-window table which are all close together, other guests have to juggle their way past you to get to/from the buffet ables. With only 2 elevators in the hotel - and you need to use one due to the dining room's 5th floor location - one morning after breakfast there was a lengthy queue for the elevators.

We tried the private beach area on our last morning and wish we'd had more time there - the service was terrific.

To us it was just a huge shame that whilst this hotel has one of the best beach locations in Rio (and probably the world) plus great staff, it lets itself down so badly with its bedrooms - or at least with the 2 we experienced - and the bar food service. Surely a 4 star hotel ought to have sound-proofed bedrooms with adequate airconditioning and sufficient stoarge space for two persons.

Love the boutique atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member Ptibbs

The location of this hotel at the eastern end of Copacabana makes it a great place to explore Rio from. I think all rooms get a sea view of some sort due to the location of the hotel, though obivously the rooms facing the sea have the best view. There is a premium to paid, however

The rooms are nicely appointed and decorated. The food is good and the reception goes out of their way to help you. The elevators have keycard access for all floors for security.

All in all a great hotel.

Nice hotel in Rio

by TripAdvisor Member bouldercolorado45

This is a very nice hotel in Copacabana, on Ave. Atlantica. Newly renovated room that was very clean. I had a nice balcony on the 9th floor, with an amazing view of Copacabana beach in both directions.

Pros: very clean, modern rooms with nice marble bathroom. Very strong shower. Nice rooftop pool area with full service bar. Newly rennovated rooftop gym with nice view. Very nice breakfast service. Nice front desk. lots of security at front entrance.
Free beach service with hotel chairs, umbrellas, 2 attendants providing security and drink service (they will get drinks from the local vendors for you).Car service in a nice sedan from airport for R80; I was met with a sign with my name on it right outside of the customs/immigration exit.

Cons: The marble hallways make noise an issue, especially if someone closes their door hard on the floor. The street noise is pretty loud too, as the sounds from the beach and street come through the glass patio doors. The higher the room, the better! Also, while the pool area is nice, the pool itself is basically an oversized bath tub. It will cool you down, but dont plan on swimming any laps.

Summary: Nice hotel/ very fair price/nice rooms

Comments