Praia Ipanema Hotel

Traveler-from-NY's Profile Photo

Excellent Hotel for the Money

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 22, 2009

I just returned from Brazil, and while in Rio I spent 5 nights at the Praia Ipanema Hotel. I would definitely stay here again if I returned to Rio. I had a room with a balcony on the 15th floor. I had a great view of the ocean, the city, Corcorvado, and Sugarloaf in the far distance. THe room was clean and comfortable, and was a good size. The staff was helpful anytime I needed them. The rooftop pool was small, but who goes to Ipanema to swim in a pool. The restaurant next to the pool had good views and good, not great food. The neighborhood around the hotel is safe both day and night, and had plenty of places to eat and shop within a few blocks. Again, I would definitely stay here again, my experience at this hotel was a good one.

Directions: Across from Ipanema beach, a block away from the Leblon border.

An Absolute Nightmare! Warning to All Travelers!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 31, 2007

After reading reviews for our upcoming trip to Rio, we settled upon staying 5 nights at the Praia Ipanema Hotel in Dec 07. What a mistake!

The trip got off to a rocky start as they did not have the room we book available to us since they were full to capacity due to a convention. Although undesirable, we were given another room, and told to come back to the desk when people checked out the next day.

We tried to book a couple of outings through the hotel, thinking that although they were more expensive (sometimes with a price of twice as much as you can get through neighboring travel agencies, or through fliers handed out by promoters on the beach directly in front), they would be of better quality. We couldn't have been more incorrect! The hotel forgot to confirm the jeep tour we booked for our third day, causing us to essentially lose a vacation day. We waited around for hours for the jeep to pick us up in the lobby, with the front desk assuring us they were late but on their way, only to realize that they were never coming! The hotel was completely unapologetic and blamed it on the jeep agency. They refused to compensate us in any way. That was the second strike.

Although we were extremely dissapointed with how they handled the first outing, we had already booked a second trip with them to the islands of Angra dos Reis the next morning and were stuck. This was another disaster! The included "island lunch" consisted of a pit stop at a dirty mall buffet (reg pr $2 R pp) at which we had to pay for our drink separately.

The buffet was nothing short of disgusting, with flies all over it. Half of the people on the tour refused to even serve themselves, and of the other half that did several ended up throwing out their entire plate. What they dont tell you is that it takes several hours to get there, and you endu p spending only an hour and a half on the islands, with what turned out for us to be another 6 hour bus ride back. Regretabbly, we spent more time at the mall than on the islands.

Unique Quality: On checking out, we discovered that several incorrect room service charges were added to our bill. We never ordered room service! Once we complained, they were taken off, but be careful. They even charged us for the welcome drink we thought was free at reception!

Ofcourse, I'm saving the WORST part for last! In our room, I had left a folder our with copies of various things like reservations, hotel confirmations, maps, and backup copies of our passports in case they were stolen. We didn't realize until after leaving the hotel that this was stolen as well! While we did a thorough search of our room before leaving, we didnt notice this bc it had already been taken. Both my boyfriend and I thought the other had packed it away, when in reality it was stolen by housekeeping. When I got home, I discovered several fraudelent charges on the two credit cards that were part of the confirmations. One of the employee even tried to book a trip on Travelocity in their name which immediately raised red flags. I know it was definetly the hotel because of this, and the fact that I never used my discover card for anything else but to make the hotel reservation (the entire cc number which was in the folder), so this speaks for itself. I guess part of it is my fault for leaving the folder out instead of using the lock box, but I never expected this since I was led to believe it was a quality hotel. My inquiries to the hotel through phone and email went unanswered. They did nto take an responsibility and refused to look into the matter. One employee even hung up on me. Completely unprofessional.

Needless to say, both cards have been canceled. Nonetheless, as critical information was on the passport copies of me and my boyfriend (date of birth, names, etc etc), I can only imagine that I will be suffering the consequences of chosing Praia Ipanema htoel for a long time to come. Please don't make the same mistake I did. All I wanted was a balcony on Praia Ipanema beach and all I received was heartache. Avoid this hotel at all costs!

Fantastic location and value for money

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 18, 2007

We stayed between March 5-7 and March 9-14 and found the hotel great value for money in an ideal location between Ipanema and Leblon.
We stayed in a twin master bedroom (room 1001) which was on the left side of the hotel with the main view towards Leblon. The room was clean and spacious with a king sized bed. the bathroom was of good quality with a large powerful shower. The room contained a safe of the type with a programmable 4 digit security code as the locking mechanism.
The balconies give this hotel a real edge. We had magnificent views of Ipanema and Leblon beaches. It was great being able to see the beach and sea from your bed and to be able to hear the sea. The balcony in our room did seem a little smaller than the others on the floor, but being in the corner of the building we had an uninterrupted view of Leblon and the Garden of Allah.
The breakfast was adequate with a good selecetion of fuit and bread. Bacon and scrambled eggs were the only cooked offerings. The dining room did over look Ipenema beach which allowed you to people-watch whilst eating.
Check-in and Check-out was slow as there seemed to be only one person on reception at a time to do everything. However the staff were helpful. When we left the first time we requested the same room for our return (we liked the room so much) which they were able to do despite the fact that we were to arrive after the 6 p.m. latest check-in time and the hotel was fully booked. I was impressed that they were able to honour this request despite communication problems.
The hotel is located at the far end of Ipanema beach and never gets crowded even at the weekend. It's ideally located for eating and shopping in both Ipanema and Leblon (be sure to explore Leblon as it does have some good shops and restaurants).
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the Ipanema/Leblon area. I would definitely stay here again when in Rio.

Unique Quality: Every room has balcony. Great views of Ipanema and Leblon.

Directions: Overlooks Ipanama beach. At the divide between Ipanema and Leblon next to Garden of Allah.

morgane1692's Profile Photo

This location + this view = PARADISE!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 16, 2004

A good, solid, better-than-basic hotel...the facilities don't seem to have been updated or renovated since the 1970's but it's a cool throwback in time really, everything is neat and clean and the staff is easygoing and pleasant. And with the oceanview right outside your window and the ocean itself just a few steps across the street, you cannot beat this deal. We got a wonderful corporate rate but even the posted rack rates aren't the worst in the world for what you get. That view is worth its weight in gold!

Unique Quality: There's a rooftop, postage-stamp pool, no use for any Olympic training, but check it out and turn your head around to the east and there you go, Christ the Redeemer his own self! A very nice breakfast buffet is included in every room rate, make sure you don't miss out on this bonus, downstairs in the restaurant with more great beach views, 6a-10a daily. Just get there at the right moment and not five minutes later or all the cheesebread balls will be gone...mmmmm....;-)

Directions: The western edge of Ipanema, at the 10.5 km marker, OCEANSIDE!

Nearby Praia Ipanema Hotel

Praia Ipanema Hotel

• Hotel Praia Ipanema
  • Praia Ipanema Rio De Janeiro

Address: Av. Vieira Souto, 706, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22420-000, Brazil

5 Photos of Praia Ipanema Hotel

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation

Rio de Janeiro Travel Forum

Need advice about Rio de Janeiro, Brazil? Visit the Travel Forum for Rio de Janeiro and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rio de Janeiro hotel reviews

Going by bus
Lapa
Garota De Ipanema
Restaurants
Churrascaria (all you can eat)
By Plane
Petrópolis
Off The Beaten Path
Búzios
Off The Beaten Path
The long and lively beach
HIKKING. - DOIS IRMÃOS
Things to Do
Tremendous trip with my friend Carlos in Rio!!
Corcovado
Pao de Acucar
Recommended visit!
A Great Samba Club in the Lapa
Nightlife
Most gorgeous view of the city
Things to Do
Rio seems safe - we had a good time
Things to Do
From Galeão Airport toTerminal Alvorada by BRT.
TIJUCA FOREST : Stunning biodiversity into a city