The Maze Inn

Rua Tavares Bastos 414 â?? 66, Catete, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

More about Rio de Janeiro

Rock climbersRock climbers

Local art at the hippie market in Ipanema.Local art at the hippie market in Ipanema.

Igreja de Santa Cruz dos MilitaresIgreja de Santa Cruz dos Militares

RoçinhaRoçinha

PHOTOS OF PARQUE DO FLAMENGO

by phil_8

hey there,

i am terribly interrested in getting info about the parque do flamengo in rio de janeiro. i need pictures and info about the whole park for my diploma degree work. so if anyone of you've already been there or will travel soon there, please tell me. Most of all i need to know what these small buildings are in the parque do flamengo in the middle of the park near the Rua Ferreira Viana. It would be such a help for me and my work, so please post if you know.
thanks in advance

Try http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/flamengo_park

Travel Tips for Rio de Janeiro

Extremely low currency!

by Groentje

This is not my favourit thing about Rio de Janeiro, but it was somewhat of a nice addition to the trip. When I arrived, the Real (the local currency) was at a very low point. Let's explain with the Coca-Cola example.
Over here, a can of CC costs about 1 euro. Over there, a can costs 1 real. So market value is equal! But, the fun thing is that you get 3.3 reaeis for 1 euro!! So I could spend 3.3 times more in Brasil than I could over here in Belgium.
Of course I spent some money on my Brazilian friends as well, I thought this only fair... I also bought more than I usually would have bought, just to encourage the people on the streets to sell more.
Just some examples:
- dinner for three (two pizzas and a salad, and three drinks) => 45 reais (or 15 euros)
- Brazilian flague (light tissue) => 15 reais (or 5 euros) I'm just going to continue. This is still not my fondest memory, but I just want to explore this issue a bit further.
Brasil was actually in a very bad economic state when I arrived. It was not like it was in Argentina, when people took all of their life savings from the bank and still had practically nothing, but still, it was getting closer...
I just checked the currency, and 1 euro is still 3.4 reais... I really do hope it improves! Maybe president Lula still has some tricks up his sleeve?

Looking for information?

by skullcrusher

Definitely one of the best places to get valuable and friendly information about Rio AND Brasil in general is the tourist information office of Riotur which is located in Copacabana. In my experience, if no one else knows the answer to a question..... they will. Their address is:

Centro de Atendimento ao Turista
Av. Princesa Isabela, 183 (Copacabana)

Their downtown office is:

Empresa de Turismo do Municipio do Rio de Janeiro
Rua da Assembleia, 10/9 (Centro)

COPACABANA HAS A NICK NAME

by RafaelTheSecond

Copacabana is a large name, so people try to make it easier to name it as COPA..So everytime you hear Copa, for sure they are refering to the district of Copacabana...Now that we are in the World Cup tourism and the country literally stops each game our National Team is playing, you will hear COPA everywhere, because World Cup in portuguese is COPA DO MUNDO, and naturally people also say: COPA!!!

This picture I just took it yesterday when I went to the grocery to buy my stuffs!

June 19th, 2006

Learn as much Portugese as...

by nomadic

Learn as much Portugese as possible before you go. English is not very well spoken there among the locals who do not work in the tourist trade. We bought a Portugese<->English dictionary and that proved to be helpful somewhat: the dictionary itself was not very useful because the words we were looking for weren't there (like Camu Camu when we were looking at a fruit juice menu), but it was a very good conversation starter with the locals when they saw us pulling out a dictionary: they really were very helpful to us when they realized we needed help. A kind woman in a bookstore in Central walked us for a block to point us to a bookstore that would sell the bus map when we asked her if she had a copy after I pulled out my dictionary and showed her the Portugese translation for the word 'bus' (omnibus)

ATTENTION GUYS!!!!!!

by RafaelTheSecond

Here it is VERY COMMON and really charming for the eyes of a girl!;) I know that in all over the STATES and my dear Canada the blokes use shorts! :) but here in the tropics it is so hot and we like to give some freedom for our "little bird" to breath, and like we all know, IN ROME, DO LIKE THE ROMANS!;)

March 11th, 2005

• Oct 5, 2013 at 12:36 AM

The owner is a very arrogant person who is hated by the community around him.
    If you ask any of slum dwellers, they will all say that Bob is very arrogant and that he is not able to say hello to anyone from the community.
    He produced a bubble of arrogance, in the middle of the slum.
    So why is he making profit out of the "tourism in the favela"?
    It really sounds imperialist.
    I've been there and he was very rude to me and to my friends.
    I'll never go bak and I don't recomend the place at all. Avoid it!