Easter Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• bighock58 profile photo bighock58
  • Reviews: 5

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Te'ora: clean comfortable,closest to the ocean

i believe it has to be the closest accommodations to the ocean without living on a boat,it is just feet to the ocean,it is right on the ocean road at the turn right before you would get to the hanga roa hotel and the armada de chile its right there,

• Written May 2, 2007

• Koyasan profile photo Koyasan
  • Reviews: 7

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Petero Atamu: Worst Residencial Ever!

The worst place we ever stayed at! Where to start? The lady advertising it was on the first stall on the airport arrivals lounge. The brouchure looked OK, but once we got there, things were very different. The rooms were trully awful, and the bathrooms in particular. Not clean! We got a little studio that looked less dreadful, thinking we could survive it. First impression: the flusher on the toilet was broken, and just half an hour after we checked in, there was no one around to help us. The only person around was a cousin who was doing some building work nearby and who was actually the only nice person in that place. He managed to contact the owners who later droped by to leave a replacement piece. After a day out and about, we went to a bed that stank! Apparently they did not wait for the bedsheets to be dry before putting them away. Went looking for the lady who owns it (Lonnie or Lorrie, can't remember) to get some fresh sheets, but she was out. Nobody was there except for her cousin again, who managed to get her dad to come over with some fresh sheets. By the time we got to the bedroom with them, we noticed they were the wrong size (single rather than double), so we had to go back to her cousin who got us some double sized ones from one of the other rooms. Next morning, after a not so good night on a very thin matress that let you feel the slats underneath, we thought that a nice shower would make us feel better. Well, guess what? Not enough hot water, so one of us got only half way through the shower (that was me, of course). My partner went out looking for the owner, but was told by someone at the site (some taxi service lady) that she was asleep and could not be disturbed and when my partner started to insist upon speaking to her she started saying she did not understand him. After that we got dressed, packed and went to the tour operator who helped us to find a better hotel and contacted Petero Atamu, so that we could actually tell them we were leaving!
Recommend not to go anywhere near!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written March 27, 2007

• pruspink profile photo pruspink

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel O'Tai: Easter Island Hotel Review

I was at the O'Tai during the first part of November, 06. The grounds are lovely, and the food is so, so. I was part of a group, and I don't eat meat, so most of what I got was salads. I'd say skip the hotel dining room and take advantage of the great restaurants nearby. My room was damp and cold. There was a fan, presumably to get rid of the damp. My room had no hot water for three days. Nicco, the owner, claimed that the people in the next room and I were using the water at the same time, so he would not do anything. Finally, half frozen and crabby, I got the Aussie at the front desk when Nicco was not around to check, and guess what, the hot water heater was broken. HIS solution was for me to take a shower in the public bathroom in another building rather than give me another room!!! He said it could be fixed within 24 hours, right in time for my departure. After I insisted, they did give me another room, which was just fine. It was not damp, and had a great closet. The rooms do not get cleaned. The maids stand around smoking in front of the rooms instead of cleaning them. Two other rooms had flood problems from the showers, again, Nicco was unresponsive and made excuses. On the positive side, the place has a great location, walk to anywhere. Get your passport stamped for $1 bill at the post office across the street, they put great maoi heads in your "port, great fun. The little pool is fine, and the drivers thru the hotel were just great, friendly and interesting. Nicco is also super at getting you back to the airport and taken care of for the flight. With your own wine, sitting in the garden is just wonderful. Some of the rooms have loud noise from the disco across the street on Thurs, Fri and Sat nights when it's open. If you book, be sure that you don't get these rooms, mine were fine soundwise, but others were bothered. IORANA

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Historical Travel, Archeology
  • Written December 13, 2006

• vtveen profile photo vtveen
  • Reviews: 1536

Residencial Tahai: to get a real Rapa Nui feeling

We are very satisfied about our stay in Residencial Tahai, after reading a recommendation on VT.
This B&B has a setting in a tropical garden and is surrounded by flowers and palm trees.

We did have our daily breakfast on the veranda of the main house together with the other guests; so an ideal moment to talk with other travellers from all over the world and to make plans for the day (perhaps to rent together a car or to do a guided tour). Every day we had a different breakfast to start another great day on Rapa Nui. Teresa (one of the daughters of the owner Maria) does look after the guests very well.

The rooms are very spacious with bathroom; we had one in a separate building with a more or less private shadowed veranda with a view into the garden.

Fatima, another daughter, is married with Patricio Ballerino, who is the best guide on Easter Island. He and his wife Fatima pick us up from the airport and showed us around in Hanga Roa.
On his website (AO Tour) you will find more information about the residencial; be aware the pics on that site are a little bit outdated.

Unique setting in the middle of a tropical garden ...
Yummie breakfast ...
Relaxing ambience ...

• Written June 26, 2006

part of Residencial Tahai

• gottagocit profile photo gottagocit
  • Reviews: 9

Hotel Tauraa: Good Easter Island Hotel

We opted for the deluxe room for $120 per night and were very satisfied. Realize that there are no 4 or 5 star rooms on the island and that you will actually spend most of your time here out seeing the incredible statues.

Our room was #4 which has a large bay window which allows a distant view of the ocean. It was very clean but like all rooms on the island had no air conditioning, phone or tv. It did have a little porch out front with a couple relaxing chairs which make a nice place to end the day. It also had confortable wicker chairs in front of the bay window for sitting inside at sunset.

Hot water was always available unlike some I've read about on the island. It also has a small in room safe.

Great advice from Bill & Edith. Excellent breakfast included with room. Airport pickup and drop off with a small going away gift. Excellent guided trips.

• Related to: Family Travel, Women's Travel, Singles
  • Written May 8, 2006

• balint01 profile photo balint01
  • Reviews: 68

Martin & Anita: Martin & Anita

I was hunted down at the airport upon arrival by Martin (in the baggage claim area) back in 2005, and I'm really happy I chose their place to be my base for my Easter Island discovery. I returned again in 2008! The double room back in 2005 was not really modern, a little bit worn down but clean, and the bathroom had running hot water all the time. In 2008 I got a different room, which is in much better state, I believe all the rooms had a renovation in the last years. The breakfast was always enough for my adventurous morning trips: fruit juice, tea, bread, ham, cheese, cake, cookie and butter. Back in 2005 there was a German guy who spent his second time on the island, the second time at Martin & Anita. In 2008 I have also returned and would probably do again if I ever get there in my life once more!

Martin can organize anything (rental car, tour guide, folk dance show information, etc.). In 2008 he got us a rental car literally within an hour of our arrival to the island! Also I found it a good place to meet other Island Explorers, with whom we could wonder around. There are friendly dogs, no need to worry, even if You don't have a dog at home (like me) and also a few cats. The garden is quiet, full of green.

• Related to: Archeology, National/State Park, Adventure Travel
  • Written August 29, 2005

View from the garden

• heights13 profile photo heights13
  • Reviews: 6

Apuna Tapena: Affordable place to stay

When visiting Easter Island, accommidations are limited. If you must have a private bath there are just a handful of hotels. However, there are many guesthouses which are very inexpensive ($10 per night). The guesthouses provide better opportunities to learn about actual life on the island.

Very nice owners

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Hiking and Walking, Historical Travel
  • Written August 21, 2005

• dhopper profile photo dhopper

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Vai Moana: Vai Moana.....or not!

I booked a room at the Vai Moana, largely on the basis of recommendations here. As I would be visiting at peak season, I booked over 3 months in advance.
On arrival at Huanga Roa airport, I was met by a representative of the hostel who carried their sign and knew my name. He drove me to a hotel and then vanished. It was only when I was filling in the registration card that I realised that I was not at the Vai Moana at all. When I queried this I was told that the Vai Moana often put there guests in this other hostel as they are part of the same family. At no point did I receive an explanation or apology from the Vai Moana.
So if you want the added excitement of not actually knowing where you will end up staying, try booking the Vai Moana. Otherwise, steer well clear.

• Written February 28, 2005

• arcticboy profile photo arcticboy
  • Reviews: 25

The front lawn of (I'll insert name later): "Roughing it" in Rapa Nui

Since accomodations are so expensive on Easter Island, Julie and I decided to camp out. We found a place that allowed us to camp out on thier lawn for $5 USD/day, which we found very reasonable.

Of course one of the best qualities of the spot we chose was that it overlooked the ocean. We were able to hear the waves crash on the rocks at night. the only negative sides to the camping were;

(a) My Tent is meant to be warm....so we were often quite hot.

(b) The ants....everywhere, all over the island. luckily there aren't any holes in my tent, so they weren't that much of a problem. A guy camped out next to us wasn't so lucky and had to put up with them the whole time.

On thw whole, great experience.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Camping
  • Written December 16, 2004

Camping on Easter Island

• bobtaco profile photo bobtaco

Residencial Chez Cecilia: Your Own Private Cottage

We stayed at a private 2 bedroom detached cottage - managed by Residencial Chez Cecilia. Cecilia greets tourists at the airport booths and she runs a separate guesthouse (at a different location). Valeska (her daughter-in-law) lives in the adjacent house and manages this cottage.

We were the first guests (3 in our group) staying at this newly, constructed cottage, perfect for a family or a group of 2-4 people. One bedroom has one queen bed & the other bedroom has two twins. A clean and large bathroom is shared between the bedrooms (hot water is included). There is a large Living/Dining Common Area, but no kitchen.

This cottage is set in a tranquil area that overlooks the ocean -> 15 mins. walk away from town. We rented a Jeep and it made it a 2 min. drive. Valeska and her family were great hosts and made our stay there very special. Her husband, Jose, is an excellent tour guide. He speaks Spanish and French. It was helpful that I spoke Spanish. It makes communicating with people on the Island a lot easier.

We felt very lucky to have run into this type of accomodation. We were there Oct. 23-26th,2004 and paid approx. $17 USD/night per person - breakfast included. I could not imagine having a better experience.

• Related to: Archeology, Photography, National/State Park
  • Written November 14, 2004

Valeska's Cottage

• Claus_Qvist profile photo Claus_Qvist
  • Reviews: 41

Anywhere!: Camping on Rapa Nui

In contrast to common belief, camping is perfectly legal on Easter island. There is only one small town, and organized accomodation is impossible to find elsewhere.

If you want to stay outside the "capital" (Hanga Roa), free camping is an excellent option. The locals do it quite frequently and in particular the Northern site (Anakena) and Eastern site (Tongariki and Ranu Raraku) provides excellent options for a traveller with a tent.

But, please, in case there are other people nearby, do ask permission. Traditionally, a particular piece of land belongs to one of the 14 different clans but visitors are welcome.

Nobody else does it! You have the whole island to yourself, however, food and drinking water is scarce, so bring a lot! Except at Ranu Raralu, the island seems like a desert.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written August 17, 2004

Ahu Akivi on the western part of Rapa Nui

• grets profile photo grets
  • Reviews: 3429

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel O'tai: Great Position

Situated on a side road in Hanga Roa, the hotel is well placed for exploring the capital.

One-storey bungalows set around a swimming pool, some with fans, but no air-con.

There was a problem with their sewage when we were there, apparently it's common on the island - we had to move rooms because of the 'aroma' in the room.

There is a restaurant in the hotel - you have to pre-order your dinner in the morning. Don't bother! The food was expensive and a very limited menu. It's cheap and easy to eat out in Hanga Roa.

There is no bar as such in the hotel, but the receptionist will bring you drinks if you ask for it.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Historical Travel
  • Written July 3, 2004
Tip Photo

• wrjones profile photo wrjones
  • Reviews: 46

Residencial Tekena Inn: Stay Downtown

I did not actually stay at the Tekena Inn, but a friend did and he recommended it highly. It's located smack in the center of town on the main drag (Atamu Tekena). The rooms are off the road a bit behind their restaurant. I was in his room and it looked better than what I was staying in. He said the room was quiet at night. It came with bathroom/shower. Cost $10 per person per night with breakfast $5 extra. Cost per couple was $26 per night with breakfast $11 more. Could have been a misprint, otherwise a couple could each get their own room and save a few bucks! These prices were effective in November. You might have to pay more in the summer (Jan/Feb).
There is a Super Mercado practically next door.

Clean, cheap and close to everything downtown.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written January 16, 2004

• PrincessMonja profile photo PrincessMonja
  • Reviews: 204

Vai Moana Cabanas: Vai Moana Cabanas

Stayed in a nice large room (it had a double bed and two single beds), with private bathroom.

Outside the cabanas in the garden there were deck chairs and umbrellas provided some welcome shade!

Vai Moana Cabanas are close to the Tahai Ceremonial Complex which is lovely to visit at sunset.

The bungalows have a sea view so you can sit in the garden and look out to sea while enjoying the peace. Alternatively you can walk into the town centre which only takes a few minutes.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written January 5, 2004

• cochinjew profile photo cochinjew
  • Reviews: 1735

but do stay at Hotel/BB Taura'a: Dont stay at larger hotels

With magnificent view from all rooms, this very small hotel right in the centre of town has the added advantage of an australian owner with his rapa nui wife who has an alluring smile to her ( she speaks english and has been to australia many times )
This hotel is very well appointed, luxury bathrooms and large rooms with high ceilings and it is an ideal place for a couple or a family visiting the island. For a single person it would be absolutely luxurious..
And the extended family of Edith would make sure that you are not without love and affection of the polynesians...

Bill Howe an australian who worked in the film Rapa Nui ( that is his profession ) brings with him his sensibilities and the open mindedness.
Very comfortable rooms with extremely well appointed bathrooms
small size.. maximum number of guests would be around 10
For English speakes there are not too many alternatives when it comes to a knowledgeable guide.

• Written September 10, 2003