Easter Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• vtveen profile photo vtveen
  • Reviews: 1231

Residencial Tahai: to get a real Rapa Nui feeling

We are very satisfied about our stay in Residencial Tahai, after reading a recommendation on VT.
This B&B has a setting in a tropical garden and is surrounded by flowers and palm trees.

We did have our daily breakfast on the veranda of the main house together with the other guests; so an ideal moment to talk with other travellers from all over the world and to make plans for the day (perhaps to rent together a car or to do a guided tour). Every day we had a different breakfast to start another great day on Rapa Nui. Teresa (one of the daughters of the owner Maria) does look after the guests very well.

The rooms are very spacious with bathroom; we had one in a separate building with a more or less private shadowed veranda with a view into the garden.

Fatima, another daughter, is married with Patricio Ballerino, who is the best guide on Easter Island. He and his wife Fatima pick us up from the airport and showed us around in Hanga Roa.
On his website (AO Tour) you will find more information about the residencial; be aware the pics on that site are a little bit outdated.

Unique setting in the middle of a tropical garden ...
Yummie breakfast ...
Relaxing ambience ...

• Written June 26, 2006

part of Residencial Tahai

• grets profile photo grets
  • Reviews: 3429

Hotel O'tai: Great Position

Situated on a side road in Hanga Roa, the hotel is well placed for exploring the capital.

One-storey bungalows set around a swimming pool, some with fans, but no air-con.

There was a problem with their sewage when we were there, apparently it's common on the island - we had to move rooms because of the 'aroma' in the room.

There is a restaurant in the hotel - you have to pre-order your dinner in the morning. Don't bother! The food was expensive and a very limited menu. It's cheap and easy to eat out in Hanga Roa.

There is no bar as such in the hotel, but the receptionist will bring you drinks if you ask for it.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Historical Travel
  • Written July 3, 2004

• balint01 profile photo balint01
  • Reviews: 68

Martin & Anita: Martin & Anita

I was hunted down at the airport upon arrival by Martin (in the baggage claim area) back in 2005, and I'm really happy I chose their place to be my base for my Easter Island discovery. I returned again in 2008! The double room back in 2005 was not really modern, a little bit worn down but clean, and the bathroom had running hot water all the time. In 2008 I got a different room, which is in much better state, I believe all the rooms had a renovation in the last years. The breakfast was always enough for my adventurous morning trips: fruit juice, tea, bread, ham, cheese, cake, cookie and butter. Back in 2005 there was a German guy who spent his second time on the island, the second time at Martin & Anita. In 2008 I have also returned and would probably do again if I ever get there in my life once more!

Martin can organize anything (rental car, tour guide, folk dance show information, etc.). In 2008 he got us a rental car literally within an hour of our arrival to the island! Also I found it a good place to meet other Island Explorers, with whom we could wonder around. There are friendly dogs, no need to worry, even if You don't have a dog at home (like me) and also a few cats. The garden is quiet, full of green.

• Related to: Archeology, National/State Park, Adventure Travel
  • Written August 29, 2005

View from the garden

• pure1942 profile photo pure1942
  • Reviews: 1189

Camping Mihinoa: Budget Accommodation

Easter Island is an expensive place to visit and as we visited as part of a year-long round the world trip we were on a very strict budget. Accommodation options for budget travellers aren’t hugely plentiful in Hanga Roa but Camping Mihinoa is a perfect place for backpackers and budget travellers. Located just a short stroll from central Hanga Roa, this friendly family run place is beautifully situated just metres from the coast and close to Caleta Hanga Piko.
The most common form of accommodation here is camping although there is basic but comfortable dorm accommodation ($15) and more expensive private rooms available too (ranging from $33 - $45). You can pitch your own tent for $11 per person or you can rent a tent, with mat and sleeping bag for a very reasonable $12 per person. The cost includes the use of a kitchen and there is a common room and outdoor seating area...which are great for meeting other like minded travellers.
The toilets and showers are basic but do the trick. (Watch your water consummation as water is a limited luxury on this small, isolated island). There is a great atmosphere here in the evenings and it is very easy to meet other people. Internet and Wi-Fi (very slow) is available with Wi-fi supposed to cost around $7 for the entire duration of your stay (Not really worth it as, more often than not, the internet wasn’t working, but as we weren’t actually charged at the end we weren’t too bothered :)
Falling asleep in your cosy sleeping bag with the waves of the Pacific crashing against the rocks nearby was a perfect way to end each magical day on Rapa Nui, especially after enjoying a cold beer (or several) and watching another glorious sunset in the company of a great mix of people. You can also prepare a BBQ at the onsite fire-pit.
Camping Mihinoa can also arrange bike and scooter hire (although you will probably find a better deal in town) and they also run guided tours of the island but we can’t vouch for these as we didn’t use them.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written November 2, 2011

Our Tent at Mihinoa

• foona profile photo foona
  • Reviews: 14

Manavai Hotel: Great location

The hotel is situated in a tropical garden in the middle of Hanga Roa. The rooms are rather basic, but the beds were good and the bathroom clean.

We did not spend much time at the hotel, but the garden is really nice. Among the trees and bushes you'll find small sculptures.

There's also a pool.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Backpacking, Archeology
  • Written December 7, 2009
Tip Photo

• krissyM profile photo krissyM
  • Reviews: 281

Hotel Poike: I Would Stay Here Again

We ended up at Hotel Poike by accident as we got bumped from the hotel we were supposed to be staying at. We booked the accoodations as a package deal so I'm not sure exactly how much we paid a night. The hotel was very quaint about a 10 minute walk from the main street in Hanga Roa. SO it was in a good location. It was also close to the many artisian markets and Pea Beach where the Moais are located.
The owner of the hotel was very nice and accomodating. She spoke enough english that communication was not a problem.
Breakfast was provided which consisted of breads, cheeses and tea/coffee. Typical South American breakfast fare.
The hotel had hot water and the rooms were cleaned daily. I would definately stay here again.

• Written August 14, 2007
Tip Photo

• hieritomoana profile photo hieritomoana
  • Reviews: 2

Kaimana Inn B&B: New family hotel at easter island

I recommend this new bed and breakfast to every one that is looking for a safe, calm, cheap and centrical accomodation.
The owners are very kindly, the food are excellent, the room are very clean and comfortable.
web :www.kaimanapub.com
The service are complete, washing machine, safety box, frigobar, 24 hours front desk, restaurant, customized attention, only 6 room availability, internet, telephone, credit card, US dollar, Euro, Chilean pesos accepted.
The room are new like just used, bed, bathrooms accesories, floor, frigobar.
Also they can arranged all type of excursions, ridding horses, trekking, rent a car, motorcycles, tours, etc.
You will feel like at home with your friends.

The relation quality v/s price is excellent, the best in the town.

• Related to: Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Horse Riding
  • Written December 13, 2007

• Skibbe profile photo Skibbe
  • Reviews: 599

Residencial Tahai: A Home at the End of the World

From the time I got off the plane and they greeted me with a flower lei (despite the wind and rain) to when they took me back to the airport, the family that runs this place made me feel like an honored guest. It really was like staying with friends. I had terrific meals (love the fresh tuna) on their porch by a beautiful garden and Patricio was an excellent guide. My room was huge and for a great price. It is out from the town a bit so you have to get used to walking if you stay there. But it was so worth it to have experiences like drinking tea on their porch or going to the local Catholic church with Teresa. They really made my stay on this island.

Do be patient if you visit here. They were generally reliable but sometimes ran on island time and that was just too much for one tourist staying there to take when his breakfast was late. I was embarrassed for all of Western civilization. If you can't stop watching the clock, why come here?

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written June 29, 2008

• heights13 profile photo heights13
  • Reviews: 6

Apuna Tapena: Affordable place to stay

When visiting Easter Island, accommidations are limited. If you must have a private bath there are just a handful of hotels. However, there are many guesthouses which are very inexpensive ($10 per night). The guesthouses provide better opportunities to learn about actual life on the island.

Very nice owners

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Hiking and Walking, Historical Travel
  • Written August 21, 2005

• bobtaco profile photo bobtaco
  • Reviews: 1

Residencial Chez Cecilia: Your Own Private Cottage

We stayed at a private 2 bedroom detached cottage - managed by Residencial Chez Cecilia. Cecilia greets tourists at the airport booths and she runs a separate guesthouse (at a different location). Valeska (her daughter-in-law) lives in the adjacent house and manages this cottage.

We were the first guests (3 in our group) staying at this newly, constructed cottage, perfect for a family or a group of 2-4 people. One bedroom has one queen bed & the other bedroom has two twins. A clean and large bathroom is shared between the bedrooms (hot water is included). There is a large Living/Dining Common Area, but no kitchen.

This cottage is set in a tranquil area that overlooks the ocean -> 15 mins. walk away from town. We rented a Jeep and it made it a 2 min. drive. Valeska and her family were great hosts and made our stay there very special. Her husband, Jose, is an excellent tour guide. He speaks Spanish and French. It was helpful that I spoke Spanish. It makes communicating with people on the Island a lot easier.

We felt very lucky to have run into this type of accomodation. We were there Oct. 23-26th,2004 and paid approx. $17 USD/night per person - breakfast included. I could not imagine having a better experience.

• Related to: Archeology, Photography, National/State Park
  • Written November 14, 2004

Valeska's Cottage

• wrjones profile photo wrjones
  • Reviews: 46

Residencial Tekena Inn: Stay Downtown

I did not actually stay at the Tekena Inn, but a friend did and he recommended it highly. It's located smack in the center of town on the main drag (Atamu Tekena). The rooms are off the road a bit behind their restaurant. I was in his room and it looked better than what I was staying in. He said the room was quiet at night. It came with bathroom/shower. Cost $10 per person per night with breakfast $5 extra. Cost per couple was $26 per night with breakfast $11 more. Could have been a misprint, otherwise a couple could each get their own room and save a few bucks! These prices were effective in November. You might have to pay more in the summer (Jan/Feb).
There is a Super Mercado practically next door.

Clean, cheap and close to everything downtown.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written January 16, 2004

• EdwinDay profile photo EdwinDay
  • Reviews: 3

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Te'ora: Easter Island's Best Hotel ("Residential")

My wife and I just got home from a trip to Easter Island. We stayed at Te'ora, a "residential" type hotel. The accommodations were terrific. Believe me, there's no place better to stay on the island. (We heard some less-than-flattering reports about some of the other hotels.) The owner Sharon and her assistant Luna were fabulous. Our room was clean and well-appointed, the hotel is ocean front with a great view, it is convenient to town, had a washer and dryer (which we used), and internet access via Sharon's computer if you might wish. Sharon responds promptly to e-mail inquiries about the hotel (the other hotels I tried to contact didn't respond at all). Value for the money unbeatable. Just a great place.

Great location, great view, great owner and assistant, great value, great dog (Michigan).

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Archeology, Beaches
  • Written June 13, 2007

• deanna0810 profile photo deanna0810
  • Reviews: 9

Decide at the Airport

When your plane touches down at Easter Island don't fear if you haven't made arrangements for accommodation already. once you get your passport stamped and before you get a chance to grab your bags you will see a series of "booths" for excellent and relatively inexpensive accommodation on Easter Island. Each booth will have photos and will post their rates so you can compare and contrast on the spot. Once you've made up your mind they will grab your bags, rush you through customs and into the back of flat bead truck. Less than minutes later you will be delivered to your new abode within walking distance of town. Couldn't be easier or less stress involved.

water isn't available 24/7 on the island so don't be alarmed when you hear it gearing up again (you can hear the pipes groaning) at strange hours of the day or night.

a simple but tasty breakfast is usually included.

• Related to: Family Travel, Archeology
  • Written August 4, 2003

• jmbakewell profile photo jmbakewell
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tahai Residencial, Easter Island: Disrespectful, dishonest

I recently was a guest at Tahai Residencial, Easter Island. Teresa, a daughter of the owner, Maria, treated the guests with disrespect and dishonesty. Due to my planned extended stay, she agreed to offer me a discount. When I was paying her the agreed upon nightly amount, she denied offering me a discount. In fact, she insisited that I should pay for an additional night, plus extra for a breakfast (which is supposed to be included ). When I objected, she humiliated me by telling me she would have to teach me how to count, 'just like you are in kindergarten'. After spending over half and hour counting up the nights with her, she recanted, saying reluctantly that I was correct. She did not apologize for her behavoir towards me. Other guests also told me that she tried the same scam on them. She also wanted to borrow money from me (and other guests), saying she did not have any money, and that she would promptly reimburse me. She never repaid me (or other guests). She was extremely bossy, telling me where to put my luggage in my room, blaming me for the moldy shower curtain, etc. She gave guests little privacy. Other guests were also treated rudely and with disrespect.
It was extremely noisy at night... dogs barking loudly all night long. The breakfasts were basic, nothing special.
I chose to stay at Tahai due to an outstanding, glowing review of the place on Virtual Tourist. I, along with other guests could not wait to get out of there. Unfortunately, once on Easter Island, it can be very difficult to change accomodations. DO NOT STAY AT TAHAI RESIDENCIAL.

The garden is beautiful.
Patricio, is the best guide on Easter Island. His wife, Fatima, is Teresa's sister.
You can go on his tour without staying at Tahai Residencial. Google Easter Island Tours.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Archeology, Budget Travel
  • Written February 16, 2008

• riocopa profile photo riocopa
  • Reviews: 29

teora: my own cabin

Teora Guest cabin consists of 3 self contained units ,i had the upper room overlooking the ocean and in the distance you could see Tahai Complex,full kitchen,more of a large studio apartment,very clean,and quiet,walking distance to town

almost a 360 degree views,wonderful breeze blowing thru the very large windows,hot shower,the owner was away during my stay,but left me in the hands of Luna,a very capible young girl from Denmark to take care of anything you needed,and Michky the dog,allways took a walk awith you for company

• Opinion of Price: N/A