explora Rapa Nui
Booking.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

More about Easter Island

Our breakfast (part of it)Our breakfast (part of it)

FreebiesFreebies

Hotel Tiare PacificHotel Tiare Pacific

A single airplane on the runwayA single airplane on the runway

Questions about Easter Island electricity

by XcodyX

I'm going to Easter Island next month, and I know I'm going to need a plug adapter. I've heard that their outlets have 2 rounded prongs, but I've also heard that it's 3 rounded prongs. Could someone clarify to me which one it is?

Also, am I going to need a converter? I'll be using chargers for a Verizon cell phone and a Zune (both American devices.)

Lastly, is there any specific adapter/converter that anyone would recommend? Thanks in advance.

Re: Questions about Easter Island electricity

by melosh

I was able to use a two round pronged connector for my camera battery charger. The question you should be asking is whether or not your phone will work at all? This is a question I can not answer. There are phones on the island, but I just do not know their compatibility nor the costs of a call going off the island. I would expect that you must be planning to stay for a long time if you expect to need to recharge your phone repeatedly. An American phone may not be the answer.

Re: Questions about Easter Island electricity

by Huentetu

I am not sure about your phone either. The only mobile phone service is Entel and there is no signal outside of Hanga Roa. I know you can use the Entel call center for calling long distance at about US$10 for about 5 minutes.

You need a two pronged plug. If you will be in Santiago before you go, any large supermarket or hardware store will sell a converter for a US plug to a Chilean - if that is where you are from. If you have a European plug, buy a converter set before you come as they are a lot harder to find.

Travel Tips for Easter Island

Rapa Nui people are the best local guides

by Erikaperez

We hired a local guide who also owned his taxi and he was the best tourist guide ever. My two American tourists were delighted to hear his stories, with his local accent, and so much passion about his ancestors. Chile has made up the term 'certified guide' but locals are much more trustable and they really know what they are talking about. We learned a lot of Rapa Nui words, went to the local restaurants and mini markets that he knew well and his price was totally fair. His name is 'Vaito' and as soon as I heard from him I can give you further details. We had a wonderful experience! Let's help local Rapa Nui people to keep money in the island to preserve their culture! The green grass moving like little soft waves and the ocean against the rocks while feeling the wind on my face. Hearing our guide Vaito telling all details about Moais, boat houses, and ceremonies, how we felt he was so honest and knowledable, like most of people at Rapa Nui.

How long to stay?

by melosh

There are probably thousands of getaway islands in the world but none more away from it all than Easter Island. Is is physically (1,700 miles from the next closest population) and culturally removed from the mainlands of the world. Because of the limited availability of transport to and from the island, you are almost forced to decide upon the length of your visit before your arrival.

You could probably see it all in 2 days, although three days makes more sense, but what most makes people sad to leave is the relaxed friendly atmosphere. The local people are in no hurry. In fact, stores just close up between 1 and 5 pm. There are some nice places to eat, a small but beautiful beach and you might even catch a great sunset. This can be addicting. I think my best memory was that moment when I lifted up my field glasses and saw that I was indeed headed directly to the quarry mountain. I had looked at my map and headed off the road across the volcanic rock strewn fields on what I had hoped would be a shortcut. After the pleasure from being alone with Moai apparently left in the fields in transit to some never reached destination, and the suffering from stumbling through the dry open landscape, it was almost like a moment of discovery. And I had the right tools (field glasses), and boots, and stamina, and spirit of adventure . . .

Of course, let me be honest--what I initially saw through a cluster of trees at the base of the mountain was the reflection from the white tourist vans parked at what later proved to be one of the entrances. I had to get much closure to make out the moai on the mountainside.

Mountain biking the island

by sswagner

I rented a mountain bike for the entire week in order to explore the island in this fashion. Rental was $20 a day. I must warn that this is not for everyone. In fact, I did not encounter any other bicycles at places like Anakena, Rano Raraku, and similar outlying areas. Bicycles were more common close to Hanga Roa. Nevertheless, it was a great adventure as well as a workout. Easter Island is hilly, so there will be a lot of ups and downs. In addition, wind can sometimes be a factor. Of course, taking the saddle road between Hanga Roa and Anakena will be a major challenge in addition to going up to Rano Kau.

Many roads are not paved. This means they will be dusty. I had very dirty clothes upon returning back to the hotel.

When cycling, be sure to bring plenty of food and water for a day's outing. Outside of Hanga Roa, there is not likely to be a place to get food or drinks.

Motorists are friendly to bicycle riders here. They will slow down for you and pass slowly to avoid kicking up too much dust.

A lock was also supplied with the bike. Likely, it would not be stolen. When stopping somewhere, I usually had to lock the bike to itself. There are not a lot of places where the bike can be locked to something. I get the feeling that bike theft is very rare here. Seeing the island with only the help of a bicycle and my own two feet.

AO Tour

by balint01

I'm usually not the person to advertise companies and services, but I was really delighted by the one day tour around the island by AO Tour. It was organized by Martin, the owner of my accomodation ("Martin & Anita"), just the evening when I arrived. The tour came to pick us up (we were 4 people from my place taking part), stopped to get food and water for the day and headed out East right away. We visited most of the famous sights around the island: Vinapu, Akahanga, Rano Raraku, Ahu Tongariki, Te Pito Te Henua and Anakena, so went all around. You could take this tour by yourself as well, but it gives a very nice plus to get a first impression of these places on an organized tour. I did it on my first day at Rapa Nui. Our guide, Patricio knew the island, the history and the local customs very well, he left enough time for us to explore each site and showed us some of the not so-well known items around the above mentioned places. He was easy-going and spoke very good English, and took the extra effort to explain everything once again in "private" to the only one non-English speaking, Spanish lady on our tour.

I especially enjoyed his van, which gave us a more "real Islander feeling" than an air conditioned brand new one would have (like those which are taking the tourists from the Hotel). It was more personal as well, due to not having 20-25 people in the group but only 7 of us.

Phone: 100-691
E-mail: aotour2001@yahoo.com

Making the most of your time

by TheWanderingCamel

Originally posted in 2007, this tip started out as a link to an excellent site that I wish I'd found before I arrived on Easter Island. It was jam-packed with excellent advice on how to get the best photos of all the island's sites, especially the best time of day to visit the various ahu so that you have the benefit of the optimum lighting of the moai.

2010 update VT 's not the only website to have been revamped lately - the Island Heritage site that featured this excellent photography advice has also been given a new look, and in the process the photography page has been removed. Maybe it will be restored - I certainly hope so.

Maybe some compensation for its demise will be this page of excellent advice on how to spend 5 days on the island. There's also a page on the impact of tourism on the island that should be mandatory reading for anyone thinking of visiting this most remote and fragile island.

Comments