Sociedad De Turismo Rio Serrano

a lovely detail in museum Sara Brauna lovely detail in museum Sara Braun

the monument of Bernardo O'Higginsthe monument of Bernardo O'Higgins

Weather in July

by Wanderingscot

I´ll be in Puntas Arenas in early-mid July and am planning to go to Puerto Natales by bus.

Can anyone tell me what kind of weather to expect? Guide books are rather vague and I don´t know whether I will find just cold temperatures around zero and the kind of dreichy miserable damp weather we have in Scotland or if it will be cold and crisp and sunny as it can be in the Alps sometimes.

Any help would be appreciated.

by crazyman2

Scotland! Yes! You'll feel at home with the scenery, weather and place names! My wife, a Glaswegian, was amazed by the similarity.
Many Scots, travelling around the Horn, settled in the area in earlier times because they felt that it was so akin to their native lands.
So, July being in the winter so you will need to assume that it will be cold, snowy and...Scottish! Well, that is what I was told when I was there!

by milliturtle

Just chiming in here. I actually visited in December, which is late Spring and not the season you are asking about, but even then, i had to wear 5 layers including a puffy jacket, so I imagine the winter would be much worse. If I remember correctly, it was actually around 10 C, but with the wind, it felt colder than Toronto at the same time, which was below zero.

by sheherezad

I considered going to Patagonia after my conference in Santa Cruz, Chile mid-Oct 2010 but gave up coz it was going to be cold and wet, according to the weather forecast for Punta Arenas :( And the high winds would have made it even colder!

Best to reserve it for the Southern Summer, I think! ;-) It would certainly be much much colder than Scotland (I lived there 4yrs and 4 months) and probably wetter, too, in winter!

Do look up the weather forecast for Punta Arenas online - I recall seeing one for the whole year, which shows the monthly temperatures and recall it was highest (50F?) in the summer! Brrr...

by Huentetu

Weather in Patagonia can be anything at any time, but the advantage of winter is much less wind. Snow around Punta Arenas is not that common. If you are thinking of visiting Torres del Paine, not all the lodges (refugios) are open in winter, but there are other options inside and just outside the park.

by sheherezad

Well, I'd certainly go with huentetu's advice :-)

Travel Tips for Punta Arenas

Currency in Chile

by MikeAtSea

The Chilean currency is the Peso. Most of the time you will pay with notes, since the coins do not represent much value. Banknotes of the following nomination exist: $1000, $2000, $5,000, $10,000, $20,000 and coins of $1, $5, $10, $50, $100 and $500.

Cross the Striats of Magellan to Porvenir

by RawdgerDodger

Once in Punta Arenas ask the taxi driver to take you to the "barca local" to go to "Porvenir." He will drive you over to the dock. My advice is that you check the time before expecting to go. The boat leaves every other day early in the morning. The schedule changes from season to season so your best bet is to go down to the boat dock the day before you want to go and check the schedule. I found it fun, after wrapping myself up in cold weather gear, to stand outside as the boat crossed the ocean area Magellan sailed through. The fare is cheap and doesn't cost too much. It was around ten dollars to Porvenir and back to Punta Arenas and worth every penny.

Coming back .... ???

by vtveen

Plaza Munoz Gamero (or Plaza de Armas) is the central square in Punta Arenas. It is surrounded by a couple of old impressive mansions, dating from the 19th century, which can be visited. On one side is the Cathedral of the city, the first brick building dating from 1892.

The square itself is full of trees, during our visit early December with yellow flowers. There are a lot of booths, where locals are trying to sell there ‘home made’ craft, wool clothing and jewellery.

The heart of the plaza however is the huge statue of Fernando de Magellanes, a famous discoverer. On the statue were also some indians from Tierra del Fuego and one of them had a very shining toe. There is a saying which tells that everyone who touches these toe will return to Punta Arenas someday. We also rubbed it, but if we ever come back ……

chocolate

by elsadran

Don't forget to buy chocolate.. it's delicious not only here but all over Patagonia.
You will find it in many shops. If you are a chocolate maniac , like me , you will love it.
Be careful..it's addictive...!

Fort Bulnes - at the end of the world

by vtveen

Fort Bulnes (Fuerte Bulnes) is located 60 km south of Punta Arenas and we reached this fort driving in our rental car along the Strait of Magellan. In and around Punta Arenas it looked a little bit messy with lots of small rusty boats and skeletons of old vessels on shore. But the scenery was getting more and more remote with only some houses and villages.

Before reaching Fort Bulnes over the gravel road there is a stone, marking the geographical centre of Chile. Here we made a ‘detour' to the small fishing harbour of Bahia Mansa.
The last kilometres of the trip we were driving through a forest and had some nice views of the coast and reached Fort Bulnes on a hill top overlooking Strait of Magellan. This was the first Chilean settlement in the Magellanes Region established in 1843 by Captain Williams

We couldn’t almost believe, but there was no entrance fee for the fort itself. We strolled along the restored buildings like the barracks, the jail, a powder magazine, post office, stables and old cannons. For us the most ‘impressive’ building was the church, which obviously is still in use.

Fondest memory
Being almost at the end of the world, sitting for an open fire in the summer, having an instant coffee and trying to talk - Spanish,English, hand en feet, signs - with the owners of the cafeteria next to the fort and just enjoying being there.

Comments