Diego de Almagro Apart Hotel (Santiago Oriente)

Apoquindo 3397, Las Condes, Santiago, Chile
Diego de Almagro Apart Hotel (Las Condes)
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

More about Santiago

Cajón del MaipoCajón del Maipo

Front view- Los DominicosFront view- Los Dominicos

lovely animalslovely animals

An "urban" stray dog in downtown SantiagoAn "urban" stray dog in downtown Santiago

Gray Line Tours to Coastal Vina del Mar and Historic Valparaiso

by franciscor

Hi everyone, I hope i posted this in the right forum, if not i appologize. Does anyone know if the Gray Line tour to vina de mar and valparaiso is any good? Has anyone ever been on it? if so can you tell me how it was? Was it worth it? Or is it worth going through another tour company to these two cities.

I originally chose this when I booked my trip to expedia , because it was an optional add on option and they also pick you up at your hotel.

thanks
Francisco

by rkearns

i've never used the gray line tours. are you looking for an actual tour or just transportation? because they have buses running between both cities all day. it's a short ride. if you already booked it, i guess you have to keep it. i assume there's no refund, but i'm not sure. if you don't need a tour, i would just take public transport.

by Huentetu

I don't know it but looked at the tour on their website. It doesn't give much detail for a 10 hour tour - it will be a couple of hours each way to the coast, leaving 6 of tour (although some of that will be picking up at hotels and dropping off). Maybe you can email them and ask for more detail. Do they visit a vineyard on the way to Valparaíso? What sights do you see in Viña and Valparaíso? Is there an optional visit to La Sebastiana, Pablo Neruda's Valpo home? If it is already booked and paid for, it would still be nice to know a bit more about it. The drive itself is nice, especially Casablanca and beyond. A tour is a good idea for visiting Valparaíso if you have one day to do it.

by rkearns

there is a member who lives in vina del mar. you should check her out. just do a destination search in the top right search bar and it will show the members who live there.
valparaiso has the market, the dock, the funicular elevators that take you up the hill to all those pretty colored houses. you can find the neruda house on foot with a map. it's a pretty walk. you get to see all of the port from above. there are little markets along the way for water and such.

vina del mar is best known for the beach. you can also take a bus ride up to con con. but if you only have one day, i guess that's too much. valparaiso is worth it. it's the oldest port city in south america, from what i have read. my experience was that it was pretty dirty. dust blowing in your eyes... i was told by a local that because they sweep the ship decks, there's a lot of dirt in the air. they have GREAT food in valparaiso, one dish i call the "sloppy meat sandwich". they sell it almost everywhere. it's meat and guacamole and mayo and lettuce, tomato and i don't know what else makes it heavenly (if you eat meat). i don't think you need a tour company to accomplish what you want. enjoy your trip! it's a beautiful country.

by sheherezad

Hmm.. Another instant member with an instant query? But never mind, we at VT are very helpful! :-)

I don't know about the Gray Line tour but having just visited Valparaiso with a private tour guide who drove me there early morning from Santiago and back to the airport to catch my afternoon flight to KUL via EZE on Oct 27, I'd say ANY visit to Valparaiso (any which way but lose?) is WORTH every dime! Don't miss it!

Travel Tips for Santiago

Junior Pan-American Karate Games

by Jefie

Of course I had to write something about what brought me to Santiago in the first place: my nephew's participation at the Junior Pan-American Karate Games! When Kevin won the gold medal at the Canadian Karate Championships, we knew he had just gotten himself a ticket to Santiago de Chile and having already promised to accompany him should he win, I came back home and started planning my first trip to South America!

The PanAm Games were held in a small, unheated stadium in the Nuñoa area - nothing to do with the gigantic football stadium nearby, trust me! We went in there not knowing what to expect, but we quickly realized that Canada had a real shot at winning a few medals - and we did! In total, we got 15 medals: 5 gold, 4 silver and 6 bronze, and out of the 20 participating countries, we ranked 4th overall. My nephew competed on September 6 and got the silver medal, beating the American champion in his first fight, and losing to the Mexican champion in a really close finale. Despite the cold and sometimes long days, we bring back nothing but great memories of the competition - I can now only wait and see how far Kevin makes it over the next few years but no matter what happens, we know we have every reason to proud of him :o)

Dictioanary

by mev1976

Its easy to talk with a chilean person, we are going to put all our effort to try to understand you, but you need to know that according to the last national inquiry just a 3% of the population speak english so you need to know a litlle spanish to say hello, goodbay, can you help me, things like that.
but a dictionary could be helpfull becuase I think that we have the wors spanish of all Latin America, we don´t pronaunce the final "s" and we talk too fast so you certantly are going to need it

Andean Crafts

by IIGUANA about Ona

"The inhabitants of the Andes have cultivated for generations a rich cultural identity by their close relationship with tha landscape. Ona is a modern company devoted to deliver the best of the native art through contemporary pieces that incorporate ancestral designs and techniques as well as to offer traditional objects brought from diverse localities of Chile and the American continent".
Macarena Peña's craft store is one of the best shops in town if you want to buy something from around these latitudes. She works with the best craftmen in Chile and Peru, to deliver the best chilean products for you. Look out for Mapuche silver jewelry, pottery and fine alpaca scarves. Ranging from $15 to $1.000, the shop has good prices depending on what you want to buy.

Busses are cheap

by tompt

to: By airplane to the international airport, just a half hour from town.

around: Our hotel was in the centre of town , so we walked a lot. But there are lots of busses, all wearing signs of their destination and the price( about 300 pesos a ride). There are lots of taxi's cruising the city and they are not expensive.
Trains are mainly used for transport to other cities.

T.G.I. ...Over?!?!

by Jefie about T.G.I. Friday's

T.G.I. Friday's is another place we went to with the entire team since they had a huge room waiting just for us on the second floor. I wasn't too thrilled about going to an American restaurant in Chile, but at least since there aren't any T.G.I. Friday's in Quebec, it's not like I go there all the time. Things started out pretty nicely since the food came pretty quickly and our meal was good. When time came to pay the bill, however, we were in for a bit of a suprise - instead of giving us one bill per table as most restaurants will do, they had put everything on the same bill!! They gave us some menus to look at so we could figure out how much we owed and it took over an hour to collect the money from everybody, and then do a second round because some people had obviously miscalculated. The poor waitresses seemed completely distraught and were very grateful that I could translate some of the discussions and let them know what was going on - they even hugged me when we finally got the right amount of money and were able to leave!

Comments