Avenida 11 de Septiembre 2040, Providencia, Santiago, 2040, Chile

Satisfaction Average

Rated 14% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Well-located hotel in Providencia

I was wondering whether to stay in the Centro or in some other place in Metro Santiago - but most of the reviews I read pointed me to staying in the Providencia area. The area is a nice place for mid-upper middle class citizens, and it is safe to walk around even during the night - so I chose the La Fayette.

An official cab from the airport only cost about 15,000 Chilean pesos if I remember right, and that is roughly about $30. The hotel itself is well priced and I got a good deal through Expedia, where I used a coupon to get 10% off (just google "Expedia coupons", haha)...

The hotel is easy to find because it is just along the major avenue of 11 de Septiembre, but I just tell them that it is just behind the church or iglesia....the hotel entrance are one-way mirrored dark glass doors with lots of flags...

I specifically asked for rooms located at the back of the hotel, since I read that they were quieter and bigger. I actually checked in twice in this hotel and so I got rooms 33 (one queen size bed) at first and then 94 (twin beds) the second time. Reviews say to acoid those rooms ending with "1" since they are smaller and facing the street.

Both rooms had a nice kitchen, but Room 94 was much bigger and nicer. I guess because the receptionist knew me already, he gave me that room the second time around, haha - it had a better view and also the bathroom was bigger. Note that the bathrooms are small, but the one in Room 33 was tinier. Also, the hot water is good for about 15 minutes and as in most Santiago hotels, you will have to wait about 45 minutes for the water to be warm again.

The breakfast is on the second floor and it was great, cold cuts, bread....a certain Tripadvisor review said something about the nice small lady, and yes she is still there, haha....also I love the sweet pastries that they have.

There is also a small gym which I really did not use, but I noticed they kept it clean. And there were 4 computers which worked really well. WI-FI is available on all floors and there is separate password connection different on each and every floor (I know because I stayed at both Floor 3 and Floor 9). Interestingly, I don't think they have the even number floors - elevators only have odd-numbered floors.

I did read about the speakers being loud by the elevators (playing music), and at the ninth floor, someone who might be sleeping at the outer kitchen room sofa might be bothered by it. But I was sleeping in the inner main room and had no problems with it. Yes, the kitchen did have a sofa where another person can sleep comfortably.

The major hassle for this place may be the absence of English-speaking staff at night...during the morning they have Fernanda and Enzo who were very nice and spoke English. But at night, both receptionist and bellman spoke Spanish only.

There are several places to eat at near the hotel- fastfood chains like Burger King, McDonalds and restaurant chains like Pizza hut and several bar places. Groceries/Mercado are nearby - the "Paris" grocery is accessed thru an escalator that goes down to basement level.

Unique Quality: In great Providencia neighborhood, excellent WIFI, breakfast