Leonardo da Vinci Hotel Santiago

More about Santiago

Centropuerto Bus Stop at HeroesCentropuerto Bus Stop at Heroes

El Morado in WinterEl Morado in Winter

FunicularFunicular

Flannery's Irish Geo Pub in Santiago de ChileFlannery's Irish Geo Pub in Santiago de Chile

Santiago sites

by Kathyfromden

What are the most important/most interesting sites to see in Santiago?
Is a trip to the beaches outside of Santiago worthwhile?

Re: Santiago sites

by crazyman2

Go to the travel guide section of this site. There has been recent activity about Santiago. That way you#ll be able to see photos too.

Also, there are photos/hints on my travel pages and those of other VTers.

Re: Santiago sites

by Alfred2011

hello! in Santiago you can visit the Cerro Santa Lucia (where there is a fort built by the Spanish), Metropolitan Cathedral, National Post, San Cristobal hill (where there is a zoo), the Government Palace, Plaza de Armas, etc! and beaches pichilemu, Zapallar papudo etc.

Travel Tips for Santiago

Learning Spanish

by spidermiss

In October 2007 I spent three weeks learning Spanish at ECELA (Escuelas y Centros de Espanol en Latin America) a private language school.

I took combined classes which meant I had group classes for four hours in the morning and then an hour's private lesson totalling five hours a day.

In the classes, you're encouraged to consolidate and participate in class through role play, games and other forms of interactive learning.

There are 12 levels of Spanish you're taught and you're tested for what level on the first day of school.

There are usually a maximum of 6 people per group and classes take place Mondays to Fridays.

Email: info@ecela.com
Phone: 1-866-577-8693
Fax: 1-866-726-5705 Able to speak basic Spanish for survival!

this is in spanish because if...

by franar

this is in spanish because if you don't speak spanish this have no sense,
en centroamerica no acostumbrados decir 'YA' como los chilenos ellos lo usan para todo para decir hasta 'gracias', 'esta bien', 'de nada', en centromaerica se utiliza como que se hace algo al momento asi que si en chile te dicen YA, es mas bien cosa de asentimiento, y no de que es en 'ese' momento...

Where have I seen this bookstore before...?

by Jefie about Libreria Chilena

With five people in tow, I didn't take as much time to look for books as I usually do but as we were walking around downtown Santiago, I spotted the Libreria Chilena and decided to go in for a few minutes. Turns out I'd picked a pretty good spot as there were plenty of books on sale and 5 minutes later, I had bought three brand new books for about US$8. When I came home and started looking for the bookstore's address (which I still haven't found!) I stumbled upon a few Websites and quickly realized that this was the very same bookstore that was featured in season 7 (episode 2) of the Amazing Race, along with Cerro San Cristobal, the Mercado Central and Cerro Santa Lucia, when contestants were taken to Santiago!! To commerate two of my 2008 trips, I bought Joaquin Edwards Bello's "El Chileno en Madrid" :o) Less than usual - although pretty small, the library seemed to work a bit like a warehouse, which might explain the great prices.

Travelling by subway

by filipdebont

I used the Santiago subway station several times, it was ideal to make trips from one side of the city to the other side in no time.

Also it was handy to come back at night coming from the Plaza de Armas to the hotel (near Baquedano subway station).

Th subway system in Santiago is pretty easy. At several places there are maps with the different lines (also in your guide book, if it is a decent one ...)

Then you go to the ticket booth and buy your ticket.

There were to different prices (for normal ticket), depending on the hour.

Normal hours : 6.00 till 6.59, 09.00 till 17.59, 20.00 till 23.00

Rush hours : 07.00 till 8.59, 18.00 till 19.59

Price during Normal hors : 380 pesos

Price during Rush hours : 420 pesos

Price for students : 130 pesos

Price for older people : 130 pesos (normal hours), 420 pesos (rush hours)

PS : the ticket booth picture is a bit blur, as it was not really allowed to make pictures there . .

So good we ate there twice

by TheWanderingCamel about Liguria

Liguria's something of a Santiago institution, a real favourite among the city's in crowd. We didn't know that when we ate there first - it was just the restaurant nearest to our hotel, it looked good, there were outside tables for a fine evening and the menu promised rabbit - what more did we need?

Sitting down and perusing both the menu and the place, we decided we liked what we saw. Walls covered in interesting photos and posters, an interesting looking crowd, a hum of conversation, waiters busy but attentive with time for a few words and a smile, a piano somewhere in the background, old favourites on the menu - both food and wine. The place was living up to those first impressions and it continued to do so as the evening wore on. The food was excellent, the wine to wash it down a really good drop, the service didn't flag and the bill was a pleasant surprise.

There are two other Ligurias in the city - all three are in Providencia. "Our " Liguria is on Ave Pedro Valdivia, the others are on Ave Providencia and Ave Thayer Ojeda. Did I eat the rabbit twice? I really can't remember. I know I had it the first time and it was very good, roasted and served with a winey sauce and buttery steamed potatoes. MrL's a sausage-lover in all their manifestations and he had the morcilla ( Spanish blood sausage) and spicy mashed potato on one occasion and pronounced it very good. There was a plate of fall-off-the-bone-and-melt-in-the mouth pork ribs - I think we shared those. Does it really matter? I just know we really liked this place and coming back on our return to Santiago after a few days touring south was definitely an easy decision.

Comments