Hostal Don Sebastian

Satisfaction Average

More about San Pedro de Atacama

Road on LascarRoad on Lascar

Jesus in the Chiu Chiu ChurchJesus in the Chiu Chiu Church

Lacar volcano covered by snowstorm cloudsLacar volcano covered by snowstorm clouds

Swimming in the AndesSwimming in the Andes

tour companies

by rene82

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with specific tour companies in San Pedro de Atacama? I am interested in doing the typical Tatio Geyser tour, Valle de la Luna sunset tour, and Altiplano Lagoons tour. I want a company that speaks English, is knowledgeable, and gives us plenty of time to walk around, rather than spending most of the trip being carted around in a van. I've been trying to book with Cosmo Andino for the last two weeks, but they haven't responded to my emails. So, I'm trying out Cactus tours, Desert Adventures, Vulcano Expediciones, and Atacama Connections. Any tips would be appreciated.

Re: tour companies

by kiwigal_1

Hi

I used Cactus Tours and had no troubles whatsoever. I have a feeling that the tours you mention are pretty standardised across most of the agencies. Due to distance you will have some time in the vans but I remember our guide being perfectly happy engaging in conversation/asking questions from the group. At El Tatio and Valle de la Luna we were given free time to walk around and a general time in which to return to the van. I found that the time we were given was adequate on both accounts.

Cheers,
Rhianon

Re: tour companies

by newsted1981

Hi, I sent tons of mails to agencies trying to get the best info to book for a tour. My advise is to go there and negociate personaly. San Pedro de Atacama is very small town, everything is close and for sure you can book tour for the next day under better terms and better conditions.

For sure it's more expensive than another Chilean places because closest city is 100 kilometres from there.

My tour wasn't very nice because guy didn't speak english and he wasn't very friendly. Also we had the chance to get into the hot springs too early when all the rest of people waited a little bit more when the sun was up and weather condition was much more proper.

You must knwo that Tatio Geyser is 4200 metres high and you must leave San Pedro de Atacama around 4-4:30 am. Temperatures in winter can reach -20 celcius.

Travel Tips for San Pedro de Atacama

Go to the desert in winter

by joernme

Maybe you are as lucky as I was in June to see some rain and then all the minerals coming out of the Atacamas rich ground colouring the desert. Also it was great to see the snow line coming down so close to the village as you can see on the picture. Better you bring a good jacket, though, as this desert in this time can also be quite chilly during the day (San Pedro is at 2200 m above sea level)

Crazy signs made in Chile ? Part II

by joernme

For those who can?t read the yellow sign there, this is the Peluqueria Reflejos 2, the barber shop Reflections 2. I never found Reflejos 1 and was afraid of getting a haircut that style that the barber could see his face reflecting on my bald head afterwards. Sorry, barber from Reflejos 2, I may as well do you terribly wrong and you are the Don Pelo of all South America. I promise I go next time!

Horse riding

by patricia28

Horse riding in the most arid desert of the world can be one of the most unforgettable activities that you could realize; the agencies offer different tours, which go of 2 hrs up to tours of 7 days with camps. The agencies
" southamerican adventure " and "rancho-cactus" are the best in that tours.

Salar de Uyuni and Lagunas Tour: Colque Tours

by darthmilmo

Colque Tours and other tour companies offer a 4x4 tour of the beautiful Salar de Uyuni and Lagunas tour. My Uyuni, Bolivia page is dedicated just for that worthwhile side trip. It is one of the highlights of South America, if not the Earth!!! Prices are a bit more expensive if you start in Chile so it may be a bit more than $80 for the 3-4 day trek.

Walking through Erosion World

by joernme

Just a few kilometres outside the village you'll find one of the greatest erosion landscapes I have seen so far. You just walk back the road to Calama about 1 km and then walk right up the rocky hills. Aim to the next peak where you will be delighted with the you see on the pic. The wheather was bad, though, everything was a bit slippery and time was short, otherwise I would have l-o-v-e-d to walk down and wander through the slopes and enjoy the great rock formations. For me this was one of the absolute highlights in Chile as I am a "great-view-junky"....

Comments