Apart Hotel Mar Serena

Avenida Del Mar 4900, La Serena, Chile
Apart Hotel Mar Serena
Booking.com

More about La Serena

Serene....Pablo  Muñoz street..Serene....Pablo Muñoz street..

Painting on the sand is amazing !!!Painting on the sand is amazing !!!

Pisco Elqui in Elqui Valley- IV RegionPisco Elqui in Elqui Valley- IV Region

Street Seafood VendorsStreet Seafood Vendors

Travel Tips for La Serena

The Amazing Smell of Fresh Fruits & Veggies!!!!!

by Aquamantos

One of my favourite things about La Serena, are the Fruits & Veggies Local Markets.
There are 2 or maybe 3 of them, but I like specially this, because it's plenty of space and the smell that you get when you came in is just amazing....hmmm! wonderful!.
It's incredibly cheap and good.

This Market is open on Tuesday, Thurday and Sunday, from 9am to 2pm.
It's located in the "Plaza de Abastos" (Abastos Public Square). I like to go to this Market, not only to buy fresh fruits and veggies, but to get that particular smell....it makes me feel so good! :o)
I also like to delight myself with colors, that only Nature can give.....watching local people is also something that I like to do.

Not many tourists know about this Market, because it's not in the touristic guide....so....

Fruits & Veggies abundance in La Serena!

by Aquamantos

Not many tourists know about this fanatstic Fruits & Veggies Local Market (at the Abastos Square).
Here you'll find loooooooots of different fruits, veggies, spices and flowers at very cheap prices.
I really love to come here and simply walk around, enjoy the fruits and veggies smell etc...
Tuesday, Thurday and Sunday from 9am to 2pm.
*See travelogue* :o)

VALLE DEL ENCANTO - THE ENCHANTED VALLEY

by Aquamantos

The Enchanted Valley (Valle del Encanto)
is also regulated by CONAF.
This was an old indigenous establishment where you can still find pictographies, petroglyphs and mortar stones.
This Archaeologic place was discovered in 1946 and was declared National Historic Monument in 1973.
It's located 24 km to the SE of Ovalle.

LA RECOVA'S MARKET

by Aquamantos

This is the most important hand-crafts center in La Serena. Lot of Peruvian and Bolivian products as well as local hand-crafts and food.
This is a good place to purchase souvenirs and taste the typical food, restaurants are in the second floor.

Back Home Again

by the___gecko

I just stopped by La Serena on my way to San Pedro for a night. The drive in was cool as there was a huge illuminated cross shinning brightly that drew all the attention.

Met a Indian looking local at the bus stop who offered me accommidation for the night so I accepted it.

Getting there around meal time I headed to the shopping mall just down the road and was spun out by its modern architexture. It was just like I had walked into the Canberra centre back home.

I actually ate Chinese in the food court as if I was back at home. Anyway I opted after a 7 hour bus journey to take it easy and hit the sack earlish.

Next morning I got up and went and had a really nice egg salad sandwich for breakfast in the mall again before going on my wild goose chase around the town centre.

The town centre was much like Florenopolis with single laned roads on cobble stones grided throughout it.

My mission here was to find a knew lonely planet as mine was either stolen or accidently taken in Valparaiso.

I visited a museum believe it or not on my own accord because I had learnt that this museum had a moais from Easter Island in it. Ofcourse it was the only thing of interest in the museum, but because I wasnt going to Easter Island this was something that spun me out even in the museum.

However hat proceeded afterwards was a huge run around goose chase to find my book. Firstly the information lady sent me to the wrong street. I then started to just roam around and hope. Went through some markets. Ran into a gypsie woman who just couldnt comprehend that I didnt understand anything she said bar gypsie. I ended up buying her a queso empanada to get her away from me.

Finally found a book store but they couldnt help me so they sent me onto another street. I found another book store on that street who also couldnt help that sent me in another direction altogether.

Eventually I found a place that sold lonely planet and would you believe it. They had every one just about except the South America one.

I gave up and went and ate seafood at the market place and got ripped off badly. But still it wasnt a bad meal and I would have paid more for it in Australia anyway.

I was on the bus at 6.15 for San Pedro