Hotel Arica Panamericana

Northern Arica's BeachNorthern Arica's Beach

traintrain

Help planning Arica and San Pedro De Atacama

by DinkaYa

I'm going to land in a week in Arica, I would like to see Lauca National Park and then go to San Pedro De Atacama to see Uyuni desert and\or De Atacama desert (do you think they are different?) what would be the best way to do that? I'm a solo traveler so car is not an option...

Re: Help planning Arica and San Pedro De Atacama

by ginirover

Going to Lauca : take a bus from Arice to Putre (1 bus per day, leaving in the morning). Putre still is about 12 kilometers (8 miles) from the parc entrance but as far as I know there is no bus-connection, so you might have to find your own way from Putre to Lauca. I've been in Putre and it's a small - very small - town so I have no idea if they have travel agencies that can organize you something. Worth investigating maybe... I did like the road from Arica to Putre, which we did with a rental.

I can't imagine that there is a connection from Putre to San Pedro... I think you'll have to head back to Arica, then to Iquique and so onwards to San Pedro. We also did that trip by rental but I'm quite sure buses are also running that way. Going from San Petro to Uyundi is not such a problem, in San Pedro there are plenty of agencies that offer that tour. Going from Arica to San Pedro gives you already a good idea of the Atacama dessert, especially the first part till Iquique.

Re: Help planning Arica and San Pedro De Atacama

by DinkaYa

Thx, indeed no connection available directly, so had to go back to Arica

Travel Tips for Arica

Altitude!

by I_clavdivs

We went to the Altiplano. It was possibly the best experience I have ever had, I would recommend it to anyone who has the chance. The wildlife is amazing - vicunas and llamas are everywhere, and the scenery is unique. The locals are very friendly and helpful. The toilets in Socorama are the icing on the cake! ;)

ARICA EL MORRO

by papo2007

"MORRO ARICA"

A CAB WILL COST ABOUT 2 DOLLARS US TO GO UP THERE TO THE TOP.IF YOU DECIDE TO WALK AND ARE IN SHAPE LIKE ME YOU CAN TAKE THE STAIRS TO THE TOP IT IS NOT THAT DIFFICULT IT IS 115M HIGH AND IF YOU WALK YOU CAN SEE THE CITY FROM DIFFERENT HEIGHTS. THE MUSEUM COSTS ABOUT A DOLLAR US. SEE AND LEARN ABOUT THE CHILE AND PERU/BOLIVIA WAR AND GREAT FOR PICS OF THE CITY AND AZAPA VALLEY. IT IS A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT

"PLAYA CHINCHORRO"

LOOOOOOONG BEACH GREAT FOR FAMILIES HAS TWO MUELLES I GO WITH FRIENDS TO FISH AT NIGHT
THERE AND DURING DAY IS A GOOD BEACH WITH A WALK WAY WITH CHILDREN PLAYGROUND A SAFE PLACE TO BE AT NIGHT OR DAY ARICA IN GENERAL IS A SAFE PLACE FOR TOURIST (NOT TACNA PERU)

"PLAZA PRATT ARICA"

A LONG TWO SIDE COMMON WHERE ON THE WEEKENDS FAIRS OPEN UP AND SELL ANYTHING FROM MOVIES TO CD TO FOOD

Mi Arica!

by I_clavdivs

"Arica"

I loved Arica. It is so laid back, the atmosphere is great. My kids loved it even though we did so many "adult" activities, and I know we will go back again soon! The food was great wherever we ate, and everyone was so accomodating.

"Excursions"

There is plenty to do around Arica, our own personal favourite was Parque Nacional Lauca. The altitude affected me very badly, despite one night's acclimatisation in Putre, but I WILL go again. Coca leaf tea tastes terrible and didn't work for me, although it did have a pleasant face-numbing effect that I hadn't experienced since my university days! ;)

Arica

by Pietro_4wd

"The endless spring city"

Arica is the last city on the Far North, located on the Pacific ocean coastal ending of the Azapa valley. It have 200000 inhabitants and a very diversified alternative enjoying for the visitors. From here you can reach the Chungara lake by a very good paved road and visit Parinacota and Putre towns, very attractives by their typical looks.

Comments