Hector Calvo 389, Cerro Bellavista, Valparaiso, Chile

Satisfaction Average

• Worst Hotel of All Time!

Avoid this hotel at all cost. It was a disaster. We arrived at 8PM. It was the least friendly welcome of a hotel in my like. The did not even say hello. Just demanded a passport and gave us a key. The guy who owns the hotel is clearly in the wrong business, as he never even looked up from the desk. You have to walk up 4 flights of narrow stairs to your room (no elevator) and the place is falling apart. Then they told us that we could not drink wine in the room! We did not even plan to as I had four bottles in gift boxes to take home, but it is offensive to pay several hundred dollars and not be able to drink a glass of wine if I wanted to. Internet did not work, phone did not work. The bed was awful. The free breakfast is laid out at 6:30AM, so when we ate it at 10AM it was disgusting. Mold all over the bathroom, leaking toilet, shower did not have a fixed head (just a handle to hold), and the room did not have curtains all over so morning time all residents of Valparaiso get a nice view of you. There are much better places to stay in Valparaiso, for less money. I now know this after visiting. I would suggest The Yellow House. Very friendly proprietor, better price and location. Do yourself a favor and avoid this hotel at all costs. Everything else on my trip was great. But this hotel was a real low point of the trip.

Directions: So-So Area.

• A Valparaiso Gem

This small boutique hotel seems torn from the pages of Architectural Digest: Clean, modern, fascinating floor plan, and very tastefully decorated.

My beautifully decorated suite included a separate bedroom, sitting room, and private bath all connected by a hallway with a glass wall overlooking the atrium/stairwell. Not great for privacy, but still very interesting.

The complimentary breakfast is served in the top floor dining room / lounge and was excellent (photo attached).

The hotel is largely constructed of steel and hard surfaces with decorative areas rugs. You may find yourself conscious of the fact that your footsteps and words may be echoing throughout the building. Seniors may have difficulty navigating the stairs and the area rugs at the foot of stair runs are not secured and prone to slipping, so be careful.

The hotel is in a typical Valparaiso neighborhood with the commercial area a short but steep walk away. There are lots of stray dogs around and lots of droppings so watch your step. You don't want to track dirty shoes into this beautiful hotel.

My only real issue was that the hotel lobby is locked at all times. To re-enter you had to knock and wait for the hostess to let you in. That wouldn't have been so bad if she didn't act so "put-out" every time you wanted back in. In the morning, the green gate was locked with a padlock and I had to search for the key to open it. I guess they don't have fire codes in Valparaiso. The hotel really should look into a guest keyed entry system if they insist on locking you in, and out. Just a suggestion.

Would I stay here again? Probably, but I remember the "attitude" as much as the loveliness of the place, so I might try somewhere else next time. Of course, your mileage may vary, so I still HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel.

Also, they have had some reservation problems, so if you book online send them a direct e-mail to confirm your reservation, just to be safe.

Directions: Directions: Best to just jump in a taxi for a couple of bucks. Valparaiso is a maze of narrow streets and easy to find yourself lost. That's what makes the place "kinda cool" though.

• Robinson Crusoe Inn

My husband and I stayed at the Robinson Crusoe Inn in January 2007. This Inn was the most unique place we have visited in our many travels to Mexico, South America and Europe. The innkeeper, George was very gracious and spent much time suggesting area sites and restaurants to visit. George has designed and remolded this 4 story building, which he refers to as the Lighthouse. The beautiful architecture and decorations include local art and antiques. The top floor is a large sitting area where a wonderful hearty breakfast is served while you enjoy a 360 degree view of the city and docks. The only downside was the flights of stairs we climbed to reach our room on the top floor. But the climb was worth it for the view. Plus the hard working employees carried our luggage up and down the stairs. Also, the entire building was spotless. I would love to return to the Robinson Crusoe Inn. Cynthia Luckoski, Professor of Art, Ohlone College, Fremont, CA

• Beware of Prepaid Reservations

Had prepaid for 2 rooms for one night for March 12, 2005. Upon arrival, the doors to the hotel were locked. given admittance and then told to wait. George (who claims he is from Phoenix, AZ) told us that he did not have any reservations for us and that he had no rooms available. I showed him my email confirmation from the supposedly legit, firm LatinTrip.Com out of Miami, FL.
    George stated that they had run it through OTSI and that he has always had difficulty with OTSI. The 24 hour emergency number listed did not work when George dialed it for me from his telephone stating that they usually didn't answer on weekends.
    George offered rooms at the Cabanas, 30 miles away. Our driver/tour guide took us there we we unloaded and walked the luggage up 2 flights of stairs to one cabana. We were told that after we'd finished our tour, the 2nd cabana would be ready. Upon return, there is no 2nd cabana and a twin bed was brought into the kitchen/living room, We were left with no telephone, or address and only told that someone would pick us up at 10:00 am to take us back to the Robison Caruso for breakfast and to catch our cruise ship. Told cost would be $10 for the ride back.
    By 11:30 am no one has showed up. We walk 1/2 mile toa restaurant and proceeded to call the Robison Caruso. Thery hang-up twice /b/4 being told that George was gone for 45 minutes. We try to secure a taxi to take us directly to the cruise ship, when a driver, has been sent to take us to the hotel. We explain that we need to go directly to pier to board ship. We finally get to the pier and are told $30. We are so greatful to be at the ship pier we pay and leave. I have emailed, without repsonce to the LatinTrip.com. And will also dispute the credit card charges for services/rooms never received. I don't know who was scamming us - the hotel, or the reservation system, but it was a fiasco. George the owner stated that he generally only rented rooms to dignatires like member of the French Embassy etc.

Directions: 1/2 mile from pier

More about Robinson Crusoe Inn

Robinson Crusoe Valparison consumer fraud

We booked a room at the Robinson Crusoe Inn in Valparios for the New Years fireworks. The reservations was guaranteed by the hotel with a confirmation number. When we arrived there were no available rooms. As we tried to work something out with the Owner Jorge, over 20 additional people arrived with confirmed reservations. Many had written personal checks to Jorge that were cashed a month earlier. They were also told there were no rooms available. Jorge the owner promptly fled the building and did not return. The staff (which did not speak any english) started to push everyone to take "the solution" which was explained as another hotel in another city. My wife and I had traveled over 3000 miles to see the Valpariso fireworks, so moving to another city was not acceptable. We walked the streets of Valpariso until 3am when we began to feel completely unsafe, so we got in our car and drove two hours to Santiago. We checked in to a Santiago hotel at 5:10 am. We are investigating legal action against Jorge and the Robinson Crusoe Inn.

I loved it! (And I also became an atty here...)

The Robinson Crusoe Inn truly lived up to all the rave reviews mentioned by other travelers. The beautiful coastal and picturesque town of Valparaiso itself was worth visiting due to its own local charm and authentic Chilean atmosphere unadulterated by the tourist industry, but our stay at this little gem sealed the deal for my husband and I. Although this place claims a particularly special place in my heart (it’s where I experienced the agony and ecstasy of finding out my long-awaited CA bar exam results online!), this little boutique hotel has so many other virtues that merit it one of the best places I’ve ever stayed. Although we usually stay at your typical Marriotts & Hyatts for fear of what else may be out there, taking a gamble on this boutique hotel was well-worth traveling off the beaten path. The personalized service and warm-hearted welcome by the owner (Jorge) and his staff from the moment we stepped through the front door, the eye-catching character of the ultra-modern architecture integrated with traditional eclectic furnishings scattered creatively around the place, and the wonderfully unique and delectable homemade breakfast (created by Jorge himself!) in the glass-encased atrium overlooking the city & coastline were absolutely unforgettable. As a side note, the breakfast was so delicious that I wanted to eat every bite but my stomach was so full from the sheer amount of yummy foods available that I was staggering around after breakfast doubting whether I would ever eat again! Another absolute treat from our stay was chatting with Jorge (the owner) who is such an incredible and gracious host that I felt like he was a long, lost friend after only 2 days of staying there! Location-wise, the hotel is a mere 5-10 min walk into the downtown where all the cute restaurants and shops are, while keeping the city’s traffic noise at bay. I whole-heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone who may be considering a stay there!

What a Gem...

My girlfreind and I spent 6 days at the Robinson Crusoe and enjoyed it immensely. We were made to feel very welcome indeed and by the end of our stay neither of us wanted to leave. The staff are great and Jorge was the perfect host. The hotel felt more like a home; the room was perfect and the roof terrace spectacular.

If you are looking for a more interesting and personal experience than a typical hotel then this wonderful place is the perfect option.

Thanks to Jorge and the team!

Excellent Service, and the best breakfast in Chile

by TripAdvisor Member JenReynolds

We stayed at the Robinson Crusoe for a night in August and thought that the hotel was probably one of the best we have stayed in on our round the world trip. Jorge was extremely helpful, and went out of his way to help us with a punctured tyre on our hire car. The breakfast up on the roof terrace was delicious, and certainly set us up for a day of sight seeing. Thanks to all of the staff who made our stay very pleasant.

An Oasis In The Muck

by TripAdvisor Member jtm1607

If you simply must go to Valparaiso, Chile...here is your place. We loved everything about the Robinson Crusoe and its staff. My wife described the decor and style of the interior as being very "Ralph Lauren". This is a tastefully done boutique hotel. And as of November 2005 it was an owner-operated establishment, which alway makes such a difference in terms of service. My favorite part of the R.C. were the breakfasts, which are served in an all-glass rooftop atrium that has top-notch views of the city´s hills and bay.

As for the Valparaiso itself, I´d advise anyone to skip it. The food was atrocious, everything was generally expensive, and we didn´t come across many nice cultural experiences...at least in comparison to Argentina. The residents (outside of the hotel) were OK at best, and they directed a rediculous number of catcalls and lewd comments towards my wife when I wasn´t around. To be frank the city was pretty down-and-out.

So in short, we loved the Robinson Crusoe. After a few days in Valparaiso I just locked myself down in the room. That made the experience just fine.

PS Spend the few extra dollars and request a suite with a view of the bay. We opted to upgrade after comparing a standard room and suite, and it seemed well worth the money.

We loved Jorge's place

We selected the RC Inn based solely on Trip Advisor reviews. And we´re so glad we did. Jorge is a terrific host. The staff are wonderful, courteous and charming. And breakfast is a treat! As Jorge says, ¨we make breakfast a big deal, and we don´t take no for an answer.¨

The hotel is a unique property that would draw rave reviews and curious travellers in any city in the world. To find it in Valparaiso is an even greater bonus. We doubt there is a better place to stay in that city. But if you´re driving, just make sure to ask for directions in advance. Otherwise, you´ll rely on the kindness of locals, and the local police (as we did!) and still spend almost an hour exploring the narrow hilly streets of this unique town. Thanks, Jorge, for making ours a wonderful stay.

Comments