Hector Calvo 389, Cerro Bellavista, Valparaiso, Chile

Tags

Cruise Architecture Historical Travel
See Amenities

Worst Hotel of All Time!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 3, 2009

Avoid this hotel at all cost. It was a disaster. We arrived at 8PM. It was the least friendly welcome of a hotel in my like. The did not even say hello. Just demanded a passport and gave us a key. The guy who owns the hotel is clearly in the wrong business, as he never even looked up from the desk. You have to walk up 4 flights of narrow stairs to your room (no elevator) and the place is falling apart. Then they told us that we could not drink wine in the room! We did not even plan to as I had four bottles in gift boxes to take home, but it is offensive to pay several hundred dollars and not be able to drink a glass of wine if I wanted to. Internet did not work, phone did not work. The bed was awful. The free breakfast is laid out at 6:30AM, so when we ate it at 10AM it was disgusting. Mold all over the bathroom, leaking toilet, shower did not have a fixed head (just a handle to hold), and the room did not have curtains all over so morning time all residents of Valparaiso get a nice view of you. There are much better places to stay in Valparaiso, for less money. I now know this after visiting. I would suggest The Yellow House. Very friendly proprietor, better price and location. Do yourself a favor and avoid this hotel at all costs. Everything else on my trip was great. But this hotel was a real low point of the trip.

Directions: So-So Area.

A Valparaiso Gem

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 23, 2007

This small boutique hotel seems torn from the pages of Architectural Digest: Clean, modern, fascinating floor plan, and very tastefully decorated.

My beautifully decorated suite included a separate bedroom, sitting room, and private bath all connected by a hallway with a glass wall overlooking the atrium/stairwell. Not great for privacy, but still very interesting.

The complimentary breakfast is served in the top floor dining room / lounge and was excellent (photo attached).

The hotel is largely constructed of steel and hard surfaces with decorative areas rugs. You may find yourself conscious of the fact that your footsteps and words may be echoing throughout the building. Seniors may have difficulty navigating the stairs and the area rugs at the foot of stair runs are not secured and prone to slipping, so be careful.

The hotel is in a typical Valparaiso neighborhood with the commercial area a short but steep walk away. There are lots of stray dogs around and lots of droppings so watch your step. You don't want to track dirty shoes into this beautiful hotel.

My only real issue was that the hotel lobby is locked at all times. To re-enter you had to knock and wait for the hostess to let you in. That wouldn't have been so bad if she didn't act so "put-out" every time you wanted back in. In the morning, the green gate was locked with a padlock and I had to search for the key to open it. I guess they don't have fire codes in Valparaiso. The hotel really should look into a guest keyed entry system if they insist on locking you in, and out. Just a suggestion.

Would I stay here again? Probably, but I remember the "attitude" as much as the loveliness of the place, so I might try somewhere else next time. Of course, your mileage may vary, so I still HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel.

Also, they have had some reservation problems, so if you book online send them a direct e-mail to confirm your reservation, just to be safe.

Directions: Directions: Best to just jump in a taxi for a couple of bucks. Valparaiso is a maze of narrow streets and easy to find yourself lost. That's what makes the place "kinda cool" though.

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Robinson Crusoe Inn in January 2007. This Inn was the most unique place we have visited in our many travels to Mexico, South America and Europe. The innkeeper, George was very gracious and spent much time suggesting area sites and restaurants to visit. George has designed and remolded this 4 story building, which he refers to as the Lighthouse. The beautiful architecture and decorations include local art and antiques. The top floor is a large sitting area where a wonderful hearty breakfast is served while you enjoy a 360 degree view of the city and docks. The only downside was the flights of stairs we climbed to reach our room on the top floor. But the climb was worth it for the view. Plus the hard working employees carried our luggage up and down the stairs. Also, the entire building was spotless. I would love to return to the Robinson Crusoe Inn. Cynthia Luckoski, Professor of Art, Ohlone College, Fremont, CA

Beware of Prepaid Reservations

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 4, 2005

Had prepaid for 2 rooms for one night for March 12, 2005. Upon arrival, the doors to the hotel were locked. given admittance and then told to wait. George (who claims he is from Phoenix, AZ) told us that he did not have any reservations for us and that he had no rooms available. I showed him my email confirmation from the supposedly legit, firm LatinTrip.Com out of Miami, FL.
George stated that they had run it through OTSI and that he has always had difficulty with OTSI. The 24 hour emergency number listed did not work when George dialed it for me from his telephone stating that they usually didn't answer on weekends.
George offered rooms at the Cabanas, 30 miles away. Our driver/tour guide took us there we we unloaded and walked the luggage up 2 flights of stairs to one cabana. We were told that after we'd finished our tour, the 2nd cabana would be ready. Upon return, there is no 2nd cabana and a twin bed was brought into the kitchen/living room, We were left with no telephone, or address and only told that someone would pick us up at 10:00 am to take us back to the Robison Caruso for breakfast and to catch our cruise ship. Told cost would be $10 for the ride back.
By 11:30 am no one has showed up. We walk 1/2 mile toa restaurant and proceeded to call the Robison Caruso. Thery hang-up twice /b/4 being told that George was gone for 45 minutes. We try to secure a taxi to take us directly to the cruise ship, when a driver, has been sent to take us to the hotel. We explain that we need to go directly to pier to board ship. We finally get to the pier and are told $30. We are so greatful to be at the ship pier we pay and leave. I have emailed, without repsonce to the LatinTrip.com. And will also dispute the credit card charges for services/rooms never received. I don't know who was scamming us - the hotel, or the reservation system, but it was a fiasco. George the owner stated that he generally only rented rooms to dignatires like member of the French Embassy etc.

Directions: 1/2 mile from pier

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge

Valparaíso Travel Forum

Need advice about Valparaíso, Chile? Visit the Travel Forum for Valparaíso and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Valparaíso hotel reviews

Baron Hill
Armada de Chile
Museo de Historia Natural de Valparaiso
Things to Do
Pablo Neruda museum "La Sebastiana "
Palacio Baburizza / the museum of fine arts
The Bohemian Valparaiso
Tour with Michael the German Pirate
Travel from Santiago
Transportation
Valparaiso (Chile) to Mendoza (Argentina)
City Tour
Parque Nacional La Campana from Valparaiso
Bus transport from Valparaiso to Northern Chile
wine tours valparaiso
Transportation
getting to santiago from valparaiso
"El Valpo Walk" : Walking Tour in Valparaíso
Bus from Santiago
Transportation
Take a ride on the funiculars/cable cars
Things to Do
My typical walking tour route
Cerro Concepcion
Great seafood
Restaurants
Restaurant Caleta Portales
Restaurants
Church Anglicana Saint Paul..
Ascensor Conception..
Museo Lucas..
Off The Beaten Path
Plaza Sotomayor and the monument of Heros..
Navy Building..