Calle segunda de Badillo #36-125, Centro, Cartagena 123, Colombia
Booking.com Travelocity Hotels.com

More about Hotel Casa La Fe

Very Content with Casa La Fe

by TripAdvisor Member claudiaB1

My family (2 adults and two children ages 7 and 9 and parents) stayed at Casa La Fe from August 2-August 7 2007. Casa La Fe is a restored colonial home situated near Plaza Madrid. Casa La Fe was extremely lovely. My family stayed in the family room which was composed of a double bed and a loft with two twin beds on the third floor. We had a balcony overlooking the main road (Badillo) At night you would hear the clip clop of the horse carriages. Such a beautiful sound. In the early morning you would hear the birds chirping away in the plaza just across the street. (They will wake you up the first morning. After that you may become immune.) The accommodations were clean and fit our needs. The showers were large by most hotel standards. My parents stayed in a very nice room on the second floor. There were no windows, however, and they did state that it was noisy in the morning as all doors are slatted and their room overlooked the breakfast area and they were over the kitchen.

The rooftop pool was perfect for a early afternoon cooling off which my children took advantage of.

Breakfast was always good and fresh. Fresh fruit juice, fresh fruit, fresh bread and eggs or cereal seemed to be the mainstay. The coffee was delicious and very hot.

The area currently appears to be undergoing a major renovation. The buildings to the left and right of Casa La Fe are being renovated as are many others on the street.

Please also be advised that there is a friendly cat (Tom) who lives on the premises in case you suffer from allergies.

Casa La Fe was also situated very close to everything. Santisimo, an excellent restaurant, is located on the opposite side of the Plaza as is a good italian restaurant called Da donni (sic) . Juan Valdez coffee shop was located around the corner as were many of the beautiful plazas.

Most importantly, the staff was very helpful and friendly.

I would recommend Casa La Fe to anyone travelling to Cartagena who specifically wants to stay in the Old City. The Old City is spectacular at night. Keep an open mind when travelling in the old city however, it is old. The sidewalks are very thin and full of holes, the roads narrow and cars zoom by pretty quickly barely giving you time to jump back up onto the non-existent sidewalk. Nonetheless, we enjoyed ourselves.

Oh, go to Cafe del Mar which is located up on the wall facing the ocean for a drink at sunset.. What a spectacular setting.

Loved Casa la Fe. Excellent service.

by TripAdvisor Member Colomboamericana

Had a great experience at Casa La Fe. The hotel is situated in the historic center of beautiful Cartagena. Staff very accommodating. Will visit again! PS. Good breakfast.

Excellent stay in beautiful city

by TripAdvisor Member sasTexasTravel

First trip to Cartagena and delighted that I chose Casa La Fe - a recently renovated bed and breakfast in the old city. Very convenient, very safe, quiet and comfortable.

Best Accomidations in Cartagena

by TripAdvisor Member Denmed

Casa La Fe made our first trip to Cartagena Colombia a very pleasant and inviting experience. The staff was always on hand and very informative. The hotel is very clean, comfortable, and in a perfect location close to tours, restaurants, and little shops for anything we needed on our stay. Thanks again to owner Geoff and his staff who have made Casa La fe the best place to call home in Cartagena!

Great experience in Cartagena

by TripAdvisor Member hawken

Stayed there a few nights in June07. Excellent service. It may be a bit more expensive than the other B&Bs in town, but it was clean, safe, and centrally located. If you want to stay in a chain hotel within the old city, the Sofitel Santa Clara or Charleston would be good, pricier options. However, If you want a more personal B&B experience, Casa La fe is a great option. Be sure to greet Tom (Casa La Fe's feline friend).

Great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member TeWe

Me and my wife stayed at Casa La Fe in the end of March and absolutely loved the place. The hotel is small, cosy and very nice and clean. The location is perfect as it is situated right in the centre of the Old Town of Cartagena.

We loved staying a hotel that has personality, not the ordinary sterile type. We also liked the fact that the owner Geoff was present most of the time and always available for helping or for just having a chat. All the other staff too were very nice and helpful.

The breakfast that was served on the ground floor was very good. You could order what you wished which was then prepared for you.

We also liked the small pool area on the top floor. A nice quiet place for relaxing.

The rooms are quite small but have everything you need and are very clean. I would recommend booking a room on the second or third floor though since breakfast is served outside the rooms on the ground floor.

All in all we were very satisfied with our stay and are surely going back the next time we go to Cartagena. Great place for a reasonable price !

Enjoyable B&B

by TripAdvisor Member brown_tk

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at Casa La Fe. The staff are very friendly, and Geoff (the owner) is willing to answer any & all questions. It's located in the middle of the historical town, right off a small park. If possible, stay in the rooms that face the street on the second and third floors, since they have a balcony.
Breakfast is enjoyable, and the fresh fruit juice concoctions are great.
The mini-bar in the room is very affordable. Having a bottle of wine on your balcony at night watching the plaza was a nightly ritual of ours.
They have great recommendations for dinner - there's a lot of nice places just around the corner that are more affordable than some of the pricier restaurants at the Southern end of town. La Cevicheria (a small ceviche joint one block away) has some of the best ceviche outside of Peru (our opinion).
There's a free computer available for use during the day, which is great if you don't want to lug yours, but still want to send the occasional email back home.
The rooftop pool is small, but a good size to have a quick dip and escape the Cartagena heat.

Experience Cartagena from here!

by TripAdvisor Member kevenv

My wife and I visited Cartagena during the last two weeks of Feb. We spent 7 days at Casa La Fe, 4 days at the owners beach house and finally 4 days at the Hotel Las Americas Resort. I will rate the first 2 here and the Hotel Las Americas in a different review.

First off the Casa La Fe. It is indeed a beautifully restored building in the old city. It is ideally located to experience the charm and everyday life of Cartagena. We are of the opinion that you cannot possibly visit Cartagena without staying in the old city and this B&B is ideally located to do it.

The hotels pictures give a fairly good representation of the premises. One thing that isn't obvious is that fact that most rooms have no windows. They have rather large louvered doors, and you can open the top louvers for light. The problem with this while we were there was the hotel was renovating the room next to us so workers were walking back and forth all day rendering it unfeasable to leave them open while we were in the room. The front rooms are now available for rent and they have balconies that open onto the street. There was construction happening on the adjacent building that started early and ran all day, but this was not Geoffs fault so I will say no more on that.

The breakfasts featured eggs and fruit. The juice, as others have said, is fresh squeezed and very good. My wife loved it. Don't, as the previous reviewer said, forget the coffee. I am a huge coffee fan/drinker. The coffee they serve is very good as was most coffee we had in Cartagena. Very smooth with no bitterness or aftertaste. Don't miss it.

The hotel pool is more like a big soaking tub (12' X 8' I would guess) than it is a pool. It is very refreshing though after a hot afternoon about town.

The hotel makes guests ring to get in as a security measure. Don't take this to mean that Cartagena is a dangerous place. We never once felt unsafe or intimidated while wandering the streets day or night. Simple common sense that you would apply in any city is sufficient. There are more than ample Police in the streets.

The staff are very good. Geoff was very helpful with information about the city and where to eat and Monica (who also speaks english) was very friendly and helped us make reservations at some of the restaurants.

Overall we had a great experience and would certainly recommend this place to anyone considering the trip.

"The Beach House"
We spend 4 nights at Geoffs beach house about a half hour outside the city. It is located in a gated community with about 20 or so other houses. The site has a pool, tennis courts, beach etc. It also comes with "Elsie", Geoff's cook at the house. I have to say, can she ever cook! We had the best salmon, pork and chicken that we have ever had. Elsie prepares the big meal as a late lunch and then leaves you a prepared supper to reheat in the evening after she leaves (4 oclock or so). The main food attraction is certainly the lunch menu!

The beach house is an ideal place to get away from it all. For the first two days, there were about 20 or 30 other people around on vacation, and the last 2 days it was like we were the only people in the complex aside from the staff. I have enclosed a few pics of what to expect. The only thing I would perhaps do differently is only do 2 or 3 nights as opposed to 4. This is of course personal preference only.

Finally we finished up our last 4 nights at the Hotel Las Americas which I will cover elsewhere. Overall an excellent vacation. The one piece of advice I would give is brush up on your Spanish. Outside of Geoff, Carmen and Monica, very few people we encountered spoke or understood English. We always had our little dictionary on hand and pretty much always manged to get across what we intended.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Excellent place

by TripAdvisor Member A66

Stayed here for 5 nights in March. Not the cheapest place but good value for money. Nice, old-style place with perfect location in beautiful (and safe) old town of Cartagena. Friendly staff, neat rooms, good breakfast, and a small but beautiful and cool roof terrace w tiny but nice pool. Could recommend it to anyone.

Fairly average

by TripAdvisor Member coconutsmoothie

I stayed here for just a couple of nights and was glad it wasn't longer. After two nights interrupted sleep I was pretty tired by the time I left. The reason being that as the front door is locked 24 hours a day (which is good), guests have to ring a bell to get in (also fine) but when it rings 4 or 5 times a night and can be heard throughout the premises, including the bedrooms, it really becomes a giant pain being woken up so many times.

The breakfast was average - for the price of the room I would have expected more.

The final straw was the 12,000 COP "voluntary tip" that is added to the bill on leaving. I think for the prices they charge, they should be able to pay their staff a decent salary. I have no problem to tip people but would rather do so directly.

It wasn't all bad though - the rooms and bathrooms are nice and very clean and the mini-bar has decent prices. The location is also fine.

Comments