Calle del Torno 38-29, Barrio San Diego, Cartagena, Colombia

See Popular Hotels

Beaches Historical Travel Luxury Travel
See Amenities

Ruined my wedding

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 13, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel but not worth the money to stay here...especially not worth having your wedding here. If it weren’t for the great location and historic building this hotel would not be considered a 5 star hotel. I had my wedding at the hotel and 90% of my guests stayed here and had a horrible experience (having to change of room 4 times in a week, no wireless internet, no hot water, etc.). Regarding our wedding, I would have never imagined that the hotel would have acted the way they did. Our worst experience was regarding the menu. I live abroad and the hotel made it practically impossible to schedule the first menu tasting. My mother had to do the menu tasting and she was greatly disappointed. We made some changes and we then had a second menu tasting. After this second tasting we agreed on the changes and the menu was finalized….but….to our surprise….the day of the wedding they served the original menu and disregarded all of our changes. For example, we had asked that the meat not include any bacon because I am allergic to it and many of our guests could not eat bacon for religious purposes but they still served the meat with bacon. We complained but the hotel has just disregarded our complaints. I would have expected a greater level of professionalism from the Sofitel hotels. We had many other issues but I don’t want to bore you so my recommendation is to pass by the hotel to just see how pretty it is but don’t waste your money staying or having any event at the Santa Clara.

Old Houses and Convents are the Best

by written on April 23, 2006

The Santa Clara Convent was built at the beginning of the seventeenth century. Used as a charity hospital for some time and today turned into one of the most important hotels in the city; Hotel Sofitel Santa Clara is a site to be seen for its significant architectural value as well as for its excellent European tradition hotel services

Unique Quality: Nice Pool
Geat View

panderita's Profile Photo

Cartagena's prettiest hotel

by written on August 6, 2005

I dont even have words for this hotel.
The service and facilities are excellent.
The rooms are very clean and pretty, old colonial meets modern traveller type.

Unique Quality: The food is soooo good.
Huge pool and a balcony with a view to the beach and old walls.
The place used to be a convent in colonial times so the bars and restaurants keep the oldish look with modern furniture.

Directions: Centro

dbrener's Profile Photo

Incredibly comfortable and expensive

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 2, 2005

I have managed to get a very good look of that place, this was the location of one of the more important parts of the conference that I was attending. Built in an old convict, it's also very fancy, colonial and incredibly luxurious. Of course, your little trip to history will also cost you bitterly!

Unique Quality: Incredible sense of history and tradition mixed with incredibly luxury. Definately a place for those who enjoy luxury.

Best of Cartagena

by written on August 30, 2004

It has two modes of decor. The Republican era comprises the main hotel lobby, while the Colonial style sets the tone in the pool and room area. An excellent hotel with superior service, but it is pricey. They also have a timeshare rentals across the street that allow you to use all the hotel services.

Unique Quality: The restaurants are impeccable and affordable. The pool is large and has a view of the Ocean from the second deck. It is located in the heart of the old town. It is not a new building, but actually a converted convent dating back to the 1700's.

sjvessey's Profile Photo

The best hotel in Colombia

by written on June 17, 2004

Described to me as the best hotel in Colombia, I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. Originally a convent, now converted into a luxurious hotel, the Hotel Santa Clara lies at the north end of the old town. Unlike most hotels, access is controlled by a narrow barred gate, behind which stands a hard-faced security guard and his German shephard. Most guests needed to show their room key before being allowed through. In my case, that proved unnecessary, perhaps because I was easy to recognise - being the only totally white face in the entire city.

Inside the reception, it's dark and cool, with lovely cloisters surrounding a central garden full of tropical plants. Off to the right is the pool area, which forms the centerpiece of the hotel. The main accomodation blocks lie on either side of the pool, with nice restaurant at the near end, and a terrace at the far end. Here, you can eat an excellent al fresco lunch, or simply lounge by the pool soaking up the sun.

The rooms themselves are exactly what you would expect from a hotel of this calibre, and most of them seem to have a balcony with a view over the pool. This being Colombia, none of the rooms overlook the street.

Towards the end of my three days in Cartagena, I spent most of my time in the hotel, just relaxing - the continual attention from people in the street trying to sell you t-shirts, hats, cigars and hookers, or maybe just begging for money - wears a bit thin after a while.

Unique Quality: The staff are helpful, and on reception you'll probably find at least one person who speaks some English.

The food is really good, particularly the seafood dishes, and they have a wide variety of fruit juices. Breakfast is buffet-style, and the chef will cook you an omelette to order and bring it to your table when it's ready.

Perhaps best of all after a day of walking is the massage parlour - so cheap, you won't believe it. An hour-long full-body massage will set you back only about 8 pounds.

Directions: Cartagena, Old Town

• Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Cartagena Travel Forum

Need advice about Cartagena, Colombia? Visit the Travel Forum for Cartagena and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cartagena hotel reviews