Mompós Hotels

Our Members Say

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

La Casa Amarilla: the undisputed budget option so far

Though Mompos has many accommodation options, La Casa Amarilla seems to have completely taken over the backpackers' market. It's for good reason and is now perhaps a few notches above its original incarnation as well as a bit higher in prices quoted in the most recent guidebooks. Since we had so much success haggling over bus fares we figured we would do the same with the room when quoted 60,000 COP (20,000 more than in the guide!) for a double with private bath. They would not budge so I left Doreen in the common room and went to have a look around town. I found some very cheap places but they were really hovels and not the pleasant rooms we had envisioned on our swing through Colombia's Bayou region. I also found some places for 50000 COP that were very nice but much smaller than the room we'd been shown at La Casa. I went back with my tail between my legs to talk it over with my wife but by the time I'd returned, they had dropped the price to 50000 COP ($25) so we gladly took it without much deliberation.

The location is on the outskirts of town just slightly but right on the riverfront. The combination makes it a very quiet scenic spot. It is also next to the prettiest church in town so great for getting photos of it early in the morning. There is a convenient beer garden out front that makes your nightlife choice simple too. The building is well kept and colorful and the common areas have great murals that brighten it up quite a bit. The courtyard of the colonial building is charming and great for relaxing mid-day. There is a common kitchen open to all as well as a DVD player and collection in the living room. Overall, it was a very stylish affair.

Our room was very spacious with a comfortable, modern bed and nice nightstands with lamps. The private bath was again modern and had hot running water. The air-conditioning worked very well. In fact, with no blanket, it had to be put on very low while sleeping! It was however a great reprieve during the midday Mompos heat and we generally spent a few hours after lunch in there relaxing before heading back out for the afternoon photo shoot. They also had very modern rooms that had just been finished which were priced at 100000 COP ($50) which seemed very good quality if you are looking for a more upscale option.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Photography, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written October 27, 2010
Tip Photo

charming dining area with murals

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4938

Hotel La Casona

I called two days before going to Mompós to make a reservation at Hotel La Casona as it had very good comments in my guidebook and it sounded like a place where I would enjoy staying. As I entered the hotel it looked very charming with the rooms around a courtyard and with rocking chairs outside each room. I got disappointed though when I was taken to my room which was not situated around the main courtyard but in a dark corner by a second smaller courtyard. There was a rocking chair outside my room as well but it felt dark and isolated there.

The room had three beds and a bathroom, and there was both a fan and air-condition (which I didn’t use). As in other hotels in Colombia you will get towels and soap for the bathroom. I think that in all other rooms then mine there was a TV. I didn’t like my room very much and asked for a room around the bigger courtyard but were told they were all occupied (didn’t look that to me).

I paid 25 00 pesos per night (July 2007). There is no breakfast served in the hotel.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Backpacking
  • Written October 7, 2007

The room

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

Hostal Dona Manuela: the upscale option

Hostal Dona Manuela was not one of the places I checked out when I found out La Casa Amarilla's prices had gone up since our guidebook had come out. It is reputedly the most expensive hotel in town and it sure looks it from the outside and on closer inspection of its interior too.

Only one street from the riverfront, it is also on the town's main thoroughfare and just a block from the main square. It is certainly convenient for nightlife and eating out but it's prime attraction aside from its old world upscale ambiance is its swimming pool which is the only one in town. You can use it for $4 per day if you do not want to shell out 120,000 COP ($60) per night which has surely also gone up since our guidebook came out.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Photography
  • Written October 27, 2010

the quiet interior

• Kindra profile photo Kindra
  • Reviews: 600

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

La Casa Amarilla: One and only hostel in town

This is the least expensive option in Mompos so it is a godsend for budget travelers. There are mixed dorm rooms with ensuite bathrooms as well as several private rooms with private bathroom and the option of AC. We stayed in the dorms (4 beds each) which were large, airy, cooled by a ceiling fan and very clean. The bathroom was equally clean and the hostel has an extra generator to ensure that there is water after 7 pm, unlike the rest of town.

Dorm beds are 15,000 pesos a night. We paid 25,000 a night during Semana Santa which is Mompos' one major peak season.

Richard is the best! A young British man with a Colombian wife, he splits his time between Mompos and Bogota. He is extremely helpful and can help arrange transportation to and from Mompos, excursions, recommend places to eat (and to avoid) and can give you a charming chat on the history of Mompos. He is very enthusiastic about it all and its great to have someone like that running a travel place. Very much recommended!

Contact him ahead of time for rates and reservations. A deposit, like most places in South America, is required to secure reservations, particularly at peak times like Semana Santa.

• Written June 20, 2009

The outside of the "Yellow House" hostel

• ricardo_emp profile photo ricardo_emp
  • Reviews: 8

La Casa Amarilla: Mompos' only place for Travelers

This place has only just opened up, has only four rooms, two of which are dorms (3 and 4 persons), a lovely garden that they are working on renovating in order to put up hammocks. The two entry rooms are high ceilinged colonial masterpieces, one is the TV/DVD and games room and in the other the owner hopes to put his bar. There is a communal kitchen that is being refurbished. Finally somewhere for the traveler to stay in Mompos!

Views onto a park and then beyond that is the River Magdalena.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Architecture, Backpacking
  • Written February 9, 2008
Tip Photo

• inesbonheiden profile photo inesbonheiden
  • Reviews: 72

La casa amarillo: Mompos : really the best

Very clean and comfortable rooms, bathroom with a rainshower ( really welcome after after almost a day in a dusty bus).
The boss and his family are very helpfull and they know a lot of the local history.
Fine breakfast , mhhmmm

The rooms are around a courtyard, the house is very nice and renovated in style

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written April 16, 2010

La casa amarillo / Mompos

• ricardo_emp profile photo ricardo_emp
  • Reviews: 8

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

La Casa Amarilla: the only place for Backpackers in Mompos

i

mompos is a amazing colonial town front the magdalena river and well preserved. is excelent place to stop if you are planning go to the caribbean coast or if you are in the coast and want to stay in a peaceful place. is only 4 hours from Cartagena to Mompos and Santa Marta is 5 hours.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written April 21, 2008
Tip Photo

• freemason profile photo freemason
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bioma Boutique Hotel: Affordable Colonial Chic!

Having endured the picturesque yet challenging journey from Cartagena to Mompos we felt we'd found paradise upon entering Bioma Boutique Hotel.

Our driver had recommended Bioma from the start but the word "boutique" usually spells $$$$$ and the place wasn't listed in our guide book so upon arrival we decided to explore all other lodgings (Hostal Dona Manuela, La Casa Amarilla, La Casona, etc.)

We entered Bioma last and clearly it had all the makings of a high class boutique hotel; the kind which would set you back at least USD 400 a night in Cartagena (sibling UNESCO Colonial sister town).

Upon reaching reception the staff graciously welcomed us and upon realizing we don't speak Spanish they effortlessly switched to English. Each of us was served a complimentary local fresh fruit juice which tasted like glory a-midst the scorching heat of Mompos.

Thereafter they showed us around the hotel while narrating the its story leading to the opening in April 2011. We were shown around the restaurant (hands down the best in Mompos), swimming pool, elegant rooms with flat screen TV, air conditioner, ceiling fan, modern bath rooms, etc (top notch). Already impressed by all we'd seen and imagining the price we continued up stairs to the roof top terrace which left us speechless. Teak wood floors, ample relaxing areas to bask under the sun, a hot tub, shower, barbecue facility and a breathtaking 360 degree view of the city... undoubtedly we had uncovered the BEST hotel in town.

We headed back to the reception sorry to have walked in to discover such beauty and sad to stay elsewhere; anyway we asked for the price of a room for three and were weren't surprised to hear USD 120; we thought this was the price per person and were preparing to walk out when my girlfriend thanked them for their hospitality and said its beyond our budget. The hotel owner said it's not a problem and thinking we hadn't seen other hotels he said you won't find so much value for USD 40 per person anywhere else in town.

Turns out USD 120 was the price per night for a room with capacity to sleep three guests! Still USD 40 per person (including breakfast) makes it the priciest hotel in town but compared to like for like hotels in Cartagena this is a bargain and the value you get compared to the USD 20 - 30 per person per night that the other hotels in Mompos will cost makes it the best choice.

Mompos was serene beauty and our stay at Bioma was pure bliss!

Great service
One of only two hotels with a swimming pool
Best terrace in town
Fresh rooms, comfy beds and nice bathrooms
iPod dock in every room
Free WiFi
Delicious food & drinks at affordable prices

• Opinion of Price: N/A